KU / KSTATE goes full brawl (2 Viewers)

What was the point of the KState player stealing the ball and trying to score when Kansas was just trying to run out the clock?
None. But that has nothing to do with the ensuing violent behavior. You just let the player have his fun and point to the score board, while you laugh/smile and walk off the court.

KU might have won in a blowout but their program is about to get hammered. Any lack of player discipline is unforgivable in this day and age. What was the point of even taunting the KState player at that point? Game over and scoreboard did the talking. Isnt there enough stupid senseless violence in the country.
BINGO!

There was an innocent female fan, that got absolutely run over and mauled. She will OWN! If I were her, I would bring criminal charges against the players involved and also civil charges. I would also bring civil charges against the schools, the arena, the security contractor and the NCAA. She will at least set a precedent that will hopefully make schools and the NCAA more accountable for dismissing students and heavier suspensions.

There was an innocent female fan, that got absolutely run over and mauled. She will OWN! If I were her, I would bring criminal charges against the players involved and also civil charges. I would also bring civil charges against the schools, the arena, the security contractor and the NCAA. She will at least set a precedent that will hopefully make schools and the NCAA more accountable for dismissing students and heavier suspensions.

Too bad. That is a shame...

If she actually sustained injury, she might have a claim against the players but it would be pretty pointless to try to get a judgment for medical bills and some pain and suffering against a few college kids.

I may be mistaken, but I think that on the back of most tickets there is a waiver: "By accepting this ticket, you waive all liability/rights to......."

I may be mistaken, but I think that on the back of most tickets there is a waiver: "By accepting this ticket, you waive all liability/rights to......."

I can’t say without seeing the ticket but I question whether there’s broad liability release/waiver language there. It can vary by state but usually liability waivers have to be affirmatively consented to by each individual - I don’t think they can just be stuck in the fine print on a ticket.

Also liability waivers typically require some kind of some sort of inherent risk that the business needs to be able to insulate against. For example, a trampoline park can get enforceable waivers from customers for risks inherent to jumping on a trampoline. But for businesses and premises that don’t have unusual inherent risks, the need for enforceable liability release is diminished. If schools or restaurants or drug stores could get releases from all of their customers they would . . . their insurance premiums would go down. But they don’t because, in part, I doubt they would be enforceable in most places.

I would think the liability claim would be to guard against something that may be expected to occur during the normal course of the game. Like a basketball leaving the court and going into the fans, or a player diving into the fans. Or in baseball, a foul ball, bat or player going into the stands, or hockey where a puck could go into the stands. Even those can get into questional applicability as it's the venue's responsibility to provide adequate protection. In this instance, a fight breaking out would probably not be considered a normal part of the game. Just my thoughts.

I would think the liability claim would be to guard against something that may be expected to occur during the normal course of the game. Like a basketball leaving the court and going into the fans, or a player diving into the fans. Or in baseball, a foul ball, bat or player going into the stands, or hockey where a puck could go into the stands. Even those can get into questional applicability as it's the venue's responsibility to provide adequate protection. In this instance, a fight breaking out would probably not be considered a normal part of the game. Just my thoughts.

Liability (for the venue or security contractor to adequately protect the attendees) would require negligence - which would require that there was a hazard either known (or should have been known) to the venue or contractor and for which the venue or contractor failed to reasonably mitigate. An injured fan wouldn't get anywhere trying to argue that a brawl breaking out was a known risk that the venue or contractor failed to reasonably mitigate. Brawls like that one are exceedingly rare in college basketball and the only way to mitigate it would have been to have the game played in a cage. That's silly.

Note also that universities aren't vicariously liable for the conduct of student-athletes in the same way that an employer is liable for the conduct of employees (while in the scope of their employment). So claims against KU or KSTate that they're responsible for the acts of their players are unlikely to get anywhere either. That's why I said earlier that the only viable claim would be against the individual players - but that's probably not a fruitful exercise. I suppose that if a fan had actual demonstrable injuries and the player was likely to go to the NBA, the fan could try to get a judgment and then wait to enforce it. But that's probably not the best way to handle this.

Silvio De Sousa suspended indefinitely.

One moment of stupidity & the kid ruins an opportunity that his whole family was so proud of.......sad.

Silvio De Sousa suspended indefinitely.

One moment of stupidity & the kid ruins an opportunity that his whole family was so proud of.......sad.

He's had quite a time in the NCAA. He was ineligible last season because he was one of the players involved in the big basketball corruption / Adidas case.

He was averaging a little more than 8 minutes per game - which isn't a lot.

He's had quite a time in the NCAA. He was ineligible last season because he was one of the players involved in the big basketball corruption / Adidas case.

He was averaging a little more than 8 minutes per game - which isn't a lot.

Yikes ?!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom