Kuechly retires [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

This is a good move for a great and very respected player but I think he should have done it sooner.

He's had WAY too many concussions and that's not to speak of the thousands of hits that didn't result in concussions. The result is long term.

Good luck in whatever you do LK#59. Live a long and healthy life young man.............you've earned it!!

Wow he’s only 28 years old

I just hope that he will have many years of a high quality life. He was a walking CTE candidate.

I remember that one time they took him out of the game & he was on the cart being driven out to the tunnel. He did not know who, where, when etc, he was just crying.

Great player who has given his all, and because of that, he has taken some ferocious hits.

Respect his decision - have to be able to enjoy your life after football. He still might have issues

Eight seasons, $64M.

Well that sucks. Carolina just lost a HOF talent and the heart and soul of the defense. Hard to replace a player of Kuechly’s caliber. Guess he’s doing what’s best for his long term health though. Could maybe have something to do with Rivera being fired too.

Wow. Great linebacker. One of the dominant defensive players of his era and a future HOF member. A huge blow to the Panthers. And a bigger deal than Joe Brady going to Carolina.

Does this mean Carolina releasing Newton and a total rebuild? Seems like it.
I wouldnt say hof he didnt play long enough

Wow I knew he struggled with concussions, but very much still in his prime. I guess similar to Patrick Willis, where he wants to get out of a violent sport while he can still preserve his body.

Still very much respect to one of the best Linebackers of this era, I still remember that game in 2012, or 2013? in Carolina where it was down-pouring rain and he racked up 20+ tackles, shut down most of our plays, and had a key interception covering Jimmy Graham against the Saints..

Greg Olsen won't be far behind. The vet leadership on that team is being ripped out. Good luck to Luke.

Wonder if the Panthers will require repayment of the un-earned signing bonus like SF did with Willis, and DET did with Andre Johnson.

I just checked their projected cap space for 2020 and it looks like with Luke retiring they will have $36 mil in space even with Newton on the roster. They could save a lot more releasing or trading Cam. They likely will let him keep the $8ish in bonus money.

Last edited:
I wonder how he’d do stepping into the coaching ranks. Just so happens we have an opening at his position on our defensive staff...
Saints should hire him to coach linebackers and once on board, pick his brain as to how he was so good at identifying Brees' tells in audibles. It seems he could help the offense as well. He would call out 'Run" or "Pass" before the ball was snapped and he was right most of the time.

Things are happenin' in Carolina today!

Carolina's core is not that good and won't adapt to a major overhaul well.
They have fora long time been tough defense and try to beat you up on both sides. Is their new coach changing that philosophy ? I think they will suck major next season

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom