Match Up KWTPF Week #1 – Ready or Not, Here We Go! (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The National Football League is poised to light the fuse to the most unprecedented football season that we have ever witnessed. On the eve of any previous football season in history the only time the number ‘19’ ever became part of the preseason conversation has been from the crazed, over-hyped fans who unfailingly predict that their beloved team will emerge from the NFL pack as the first and only ’19-0’ champion. Oh how times have changed.

Now that the word ‘Covid’ precedes that number in nearly every sports-related story, we find ourselves wondering if we will even see a full slate of NFL games for the 2020 season. Though opinions vary greatly in regard to how the games should proceed in the midst of this pandemic, even the least enthusiastic football fan has to be feeling at least some relief in the knowledge that mere hours separate us from the start of our annual September ritual. And even if we are among those who question the wisdom of launching a sport that is typically devoid of social distancing, your heart still has to be beating a little bit faster at the thought that professional football is finally here!

However, we all know that this season has already suffered its first setbacks by having to eliminate both the preseason ‘evaluation’ games as well as the very definition of ‘home field advantage’… the fans. By having to go straight into these regular season contests without the aid of ‘tune-up’ games, the questions about what lies ahead goes far beyond what the future rate of viral infection may be among the teams. Whether you are a sportswriter, a bookmaker, or just a rabid fan of your favorite franchise, you enter this unique season with nothing more than educated guesses & hopes as you try to decipher who will emerge as the contenders, or the pretenders.

Perhaps this guesswork is one of the intangibles that will make the 2020 season even more interesting and exciting. Yes, the unknown is what will keep a lot of fans interested in seeing who the better teams in the league really are. While it is traditional for experts and fans alike to assess & rate teams based on how they finished the previous year, we start a new campaign this Thursday night with very little else to go by. It would be easy to assume that we know how the acquisitions and transactions by each team during the offseason will affect their capacity to contend for postseason glory. But every formula for success is different, and no one can know for sure how teams will mesh until they start performing together… in real football games!

We’ve seen some big changes for some teams around the NFL, and particularly in our own NFC South. The first few weeks will certainly tell us a lot about who made the best picks & moves to arrive at this highly-anticipated first week of the 2020 season. This just means that knowing who to pull for may be more important this year than ever before. But one simple truth will never change: Whenever the Saints win, we all win! I hope every Who Dat! will have a safe, happy, and Covid-free season! For all we have endured since March, it’s clear that the culmination of a Black & Gold SuperBowl would go a long way toward putting some of our pandemic misery behind us! :9:

Seahawks (0-0) @ Falcons (0-0) – I suppose there could have been a scenario if this game were being played near the end of the season where we might have preferred that Seattle take the loss here. But never should we entertain any such thoughts at the start of a new season. The second best thing to a Saints victory in Week 1 is a Falcons loss. So of course… Go Seabirds!

Bears (0-0) @ Lions (0-0) – This is one of those games that is impossible to make a pick since I haven’t seen or heard any news about their potential this year. However, the spread has the Lions as the favorite simply because it is a ‘home’ game for them. Some say that the Lions could be one of the big surprises in the league this year. But knowing Detroit’s propensity to collapse at season’s end, I have no problem with giving them the nod for this opening game. So let’s pull for the Lions in this one and give the Detroit fans some early season false hopes once again.

Packers (0-0) @ Vikings (0-0) – While it’s far too soon to know which of these teams will be the biggest threat to the Saints down the stretch, I have yet to get over the way our season ended last year. So I would prefer to see the Vikings begin their season with the goose egg in this one. Besides, we will be facing Green Bay in primetime in Week 3. Perhaps this game can create a wave of hype for Mr. Rodgers and his Aarionettes for our national spotlight game against the Packers. Hopefully we’ll be able to sneak some fans into the Dome by then. Beat ‘em up Packers!

Eagles (0-0) @ the ‘Big W’ (0-0) – Because of its ownership, the Washington Football Team seems to have become the latest steaming pile of pony droppings. And that’s saying a lot when you examine teams like the Giants and the Jags. But once again it can be hard to know what tricks Riverboat Ron may have up his sleeve as they host the rival Eagles to start the season. My guess is that it would probably be best for Washington not to have fans in their stands. But I also think it would be best for them to get an early jump on the Eagles in the event that Philly shows up later this season. Go ‘Ws”!

Raiders (0-0) @ Panthers (0-0) – Well, we’re finally going to discover if Matt can ‘Rhule’ the Panthers’ den better than his predecessor. He’s certainly going to get one of the easiest draws that any first year head coach could ask for to begin his NFL coaching career. Which is all the more reason I’d enjoy seeing a big crash & burn against the Vegas Vagabonds. Then again, practically anytime we can watch a division rival hop into the ‘L’ column it’s a good week for us. Go Raidahs!

Cardinals (0-0) @ 49ers (0-0) – Besides our own game, this may be the easiest call of week. Any outcome that sets San Francisco back in the standings will create big smiles around the Who Dat! Nation. So pull hawd for Arizona and hope that Murray will produce a highlight reel in Week 1.

Cowboys (0-0) @ Rams (0-0) – Now we shift over to the hardest pick of the week. Since we aren’t allowed to base our picks on pulling for a tie game, we need to accept that one of these hated teams is probably going to end up in the Win column. Since neither of these teams are on our schedule this season, we have no ability to hang an ‘L’ on either team later in the season. So this game is more a matter of who you love to hate more. Or better yet, who you believe is more likely to be in contention for a high seed in the playoffs. Personally I see the Rams as the bigger post season threat. And I’d also like to see them falter in their new home stadium. So I’m pulling for the Rams to LOSE! But I’d be curious to know who is with me on this one.

Steelers (0-0) @ Giants (0-0) – The early Monday Night game is our second of only two interconference matches this week. I suppose the league had no choice but to put one of their big market teams on the Monday Marquee to start the season. Too bad the Giants won’t be a team that football lovers will be eager to watch. While I feel sorry for the G-men, one of the rules of KWTPF is to give the nod to the AFC anytime they are matched up against an NFC opponent. At least Pittsburgh got the closest thing to a cakewalk to start the season. Go Steelers.

Buccaneers (0-0) @ Saints (0-0) – Don’t let anyone fool you. This is the game that every NFL fan really wants to see. “Who really is the GOAT QB of this era?!?!” In light of the 2020 events however, this is the one game that I now wish would have been scheduled later in the year. To have this game played as a home game without the benefit of having our usual pack of rabid fans is a genuine crime. For so many reasons this game fits the description of a classic ‘must win’ game. Not the least of which is the Brees vs Brady angle. On top of that the Saints haven’t exactly dominated in Week 1 games in recent years. So our getting off to a winning start is crucial… especially since 2020 still may have a few more tricks up its sleeve in regard to how much of this season will actually take place. While ‘TB’ is said to stand for Tampa Bay & Tom Brady, let’s also make it stand for ‘Too Bad’ and start this season off with a bang… even if we can’t in that number at our Dome.

P.S. – Having an installment of KWTPF in Week 1 makes practically no sense because the intent of this column is to determine which teams must win or lose in order for the Saints to have a shot at the playoffs or else a higher seeding in the playoffs. Since it’s nearly impossible to determine now which teams pose the biggest threats to the Saints, this thread is being provided primarily as a means to infuse some normalcy to the season in order to prepare our thinking for the final stretch of the season when we’ll know which games really will mean the most heading into the post season. Let’s just hope that this season will play out to the end. I feel like we need football now more than ever before. So welcome to the 2020 NFL Regular Season! :grin:

Bill, finally with your KWTPF, it seems like NFL football is back this year - at least for a week! I am with you on the Packers vs the Vikings as I will never get over what they did to us over the last few years. I have to say I am for a Ram win. I am just, as usual, tired of all the Cowboys fanfare and all the pundits talking up Dak as the league MVP. It is the same song every year going into the season when the media idolizes the Cowboys, America's team! Makes me sick!
Now for the Saints vs Bucs. This is going to be a tough game and as you noted without our 'home field advantage' I am not sure how this one is going to go. My hope is that catching them early will give us a Tom Brady not quite yet in sync with his receivers, etc. Make no mistake, though, this IMO is a loaded team and one we don't want to be chasing all year due to an opening day loss. A key I believe will be how mistake prone either team is on Sunday. I do believe it is likely this and all Sunday games will be sloppy due to the lack of a preason and minimal training time.
Thanks again my friend for getting everyone in game day mode with your KWTPF.

The National Football League is poised to light the fuse to the most unprecedented football season that we have ever witnessed. On the eve of any previous football season in history the only time the number ‘19’ ever became part of the preseason conversation has been from the crazed, over-hyped fans who unfailingly predict that their beloved team will emerge from the NFL pack as the first and only ’19-0’ champion. Oh how times have changed.

Now that the word ‘Covid’ precedes that number in nearly every sports-related story, we find ourselves wondering if we will even see a full slate of NFL games for the 2020 season. Though opinions vary greatly in regard to how the games should proceed in the midst of this pandemic, even the least enthusiastic football fan has to be feeling at least some relief in the knowledge that mere hours separate us from the start of our annual September ritual. And even if we are among those who question the wisdom of launching a sport that is typically devoid of social distancing, your heart still has to be beating a little bit faster at the thought that professional football is finally here!

However, we all know that this season has already suffered its first setbacks by having to eliminate both the preseason ‘evaluation’ games as well as the very definition of ‘home field advantage’… the fans. By having to go straight into these regular season contests without the aid of ‘tune-up’ games, the questions about what lies ahead goes far beyond what the future rate of viral infection may be among the teams. Whether you are a sportswriter, a bookmaker, or just a rabid fan of your favorite franchise, you enter this unique season with nothing more than educated guesses & hopes as you try to decipher who will emerge as the contenders, or the pretenders.

Perhaps this guesswork is one of the intangibles that will make the 2020 season even more interesting and exciting. Yes, the unknown is what will keep a lot of fans interested in seeing who the better teams in the league really are. While it is traditional for experts and fans alike to assess & rate teams based on how they finished the previous year, we start a new campaign this Thursday night with very little else to go by. It would be easy to assume that we know how the acquisitions and transactions by each team during the offseason will affect their capacity to contend for postseason glory. But every formula for success is different, and no one can know for sure how teams will mesh until they start performing together… in real football games!

We’ve seen some big changes for some teams around the NFL, and particularly in our own NFC South. The first few weeks will certainly tell us a lot about who made the best picks & moves to arrive at this highly-anticipated first week of the 2020 season. This just means that knowing who to pull for may be more important this year than ever before. But one simple truth will never change: Whenever the Saints win, we all win! I hope every Who Dat! will have a safe, happy, and Covid-free season! For all we have endured since March, it’s clear that the culmination of a Black & Gold SuperBowl would go a long way toward putting some of our pandemic misery behind us! :9:

Seahawks (0-0) @ Falcons (0-0) – I suppose there could have been a scenario if this game were being played near the end of the season where we might have preferred that Seattle take the loss here. But never should we entertain any such thoughts at the start of a new season. The second best thing to a Saints victory in Week 1 is a Falcons loss. So of course… Go Seabirds!

Bears (0-0) @ Lions (0-0) – This is one of those games that is impossible to make a pick since I haven’t seen or heard any news about their potential this year. However, the spread has the Lions as the favorite simply because it is a ‘home’ game for them. Some say that the Lions could be one of the big surprises in the league this year. But knowing Detroit’s propensity to collapse at season’s end, I have no problem with giving them the nod for this opening game. So let’s pull for the Lions in this one and give the Detroit fans some early season false hopes once again.

Packers (0-0) @ Vikings (0-0) – While it’s far too soon to know which of these teams will be the biggest threat to the Saints down the stretch, I have yet to get over the way our season ended last year. So I would prefer to see the Vikings begin their season with the goose egg in this one. Besides, we will be facing Green Bay in primetime in Week 3. Perhaps this game can create a wave of hype for Mr. Rodgers and his Aarionettes for our national spotlight game against the Packers. Hopefully we’ll be able to sneak some fans into the Dome by then. Beat ‘em up Packers!

Eagles (0-0) @ the ‘Big W’ (0-0) – Because of its ownership, the Washington Football Team seems to have become the latest steaming pile of pony droppings. And that’s saying a lot when you examine teams like the Giants and the Jags. But once again it can be hard to know what tricks Riverboat Ron may have up his sleeve as they host the rival Eagles to start the season. My guess is that it would probably be best for Washington not to have fans in their stands. But I also think it would be best for them to get an early jump on the Eagles in the event that Philly shows up later this season. Go ‘Ws”!

Raiders (0-0) @ Panthers (0-0) – Well, we’re finally going to discover if Matt can ‘Rhule’ the Panthers’ den better than his predecessor. He’s certainly going to get one of the easiest draws that any first year head coach could ask for to begin his NFL coaching career. Which is all the more reason I’d enjoy seeing a big crash & burn against the Vegas Vagabonds. Then again, practically anytime we can watch a division rival hop into the ‘L’ column it’s a good week for us. Go Raidahs!

Cardinals (0-0) @ 49ers (0-0) – Besides our own game, this may be the easiest call of week. Any outcome that sets San Francisco back in the standings will create big smiles around the Who Dat! Nation. So pull hawd for Arizona and hope that Murray will produce a highlight reel in Week 1.

Cowboys (0-0) @ Rams (0-0) – Now we shift over to the hardest pick of the week. Since we aren’t allowed to base our picks on pulling for a tie game, we need to accept that one of these hated teams is probably going to end up in the Win column. Since neither of these teams are on our schedule this season, we have no ability to hang an ‘L’ on either team later in the season. So this game is more a matter of who you love to hate more. Or better yet, who you believe is more likely to be in contention for a high seed in the playoffs. Personally I see the Rams as the bigger post season threat. And I’d also like to see them falter in their new home stadium. So I’m pulling for the Rams to LOSE! But I’d be curious to know who is with me on this one.

Steelers (0-0) @ Giants (0-0) – The early Monday Night game is our second of only two interconference matches this week. I suppose the league had no choice but to put one of their big market teams on the Monday Marquee to start the season. Too bad the Giants won’t be a team that football lovers will be eager to watch. While I feel sorry for the G-men, one of the rules of KWTPF is to give the nod to the AFC anytime they are matched up against an NFC opponent. At least Pittsburgh got the closest thing to a cakewalk to start the season. Go Steelers.

Buccaneers (0-0) @ Saints (0-0) – Don’t let anyone fool you. This is the game that every NFL fan really wants to see. “Who really is the GOAT QB of this era?!?!” In light of the 2020 events however, this is the one game that I now wish would have been scheduled later in the year. To have this game played as a home game without the benefit of having our usual pack of rabid fans is a genuine crime. For so many reasons this game fits the description of a classic ‘must win’ game. Not the least of which is the Brees vs Brady angle. On top of that the Saints haven’t exactly dominated in Week 1 games in recent years. So our getting off to a winning start is crucial… especially since 2020 still may have a few more tricks up its sleeve in regard to how much of this season will actually take place. While ‘TB’ is said to stand for Tampa Bay & Tom Brady, let’s also make it stand for ‘Too Bad’ and start this season off with a bang… even if we can’t in that number at our Dome.

P.S. – Having an installment of KWTPF in Week 1 makes practically no sense because the intent of this column is to determine which teams must win or lose in order for the Saints to have a shot at the playoffs or else a higher seeding in the playoffs. Since it’s nearly impossible to determine now which teams pose the biggest threats to the Saints, this thread is being provided primarily as a means to infuse some normalcy to the season in order to prepare our thinking for the final stretch of the season when we’ll know which games really will mean the most heading into the post season. Let’s just hope that this season will play out to the end. I feel like we need football now more than ever before. So welcome to the 2020 NFL Regular Season! :grin:
I’m with you. I’d rather see the Rams falter in their new home stadium week 1. The Cowboys will eventually collapse on their own later in the season.

Bill, finally with your KWTPF, it seems like NFL football is back this year - at least for a week! I am with you on the Packers vs the Vikings as I will never get over what they did to us over the last few years. I have to say I am for a Ram win. I am just, as usual, tired of all the Cowboys fanfare and all the pundits talking up Dak as the league MVP. It is the same song every year going into the season when the media idolizes the Cowboys, America's team! Makes me sick!
Now for the Saints vs Bucs. This is going to be a tough game and as you noted without our 'home field advantage' I am not sure how this one is going to go. My hope is that catching them early will give us a Tom Brady not quite yet in sync with his receivers, etc. Make no mistake, though, this IMO is a loaded team and one we don't want to be chasing all year due to an opening day loss. A key I believe will be how mistake prone either team is on Sunday. I do believe it is likely this and all Sunday games will be sloppy due to the lack of a preason and minimal training time.
Thanks again my friend for getting everyone in game day mode with your KWTPF.
The good thing about the Rams vs Pokes game is that somebody has to lose. Yes, Dallas will get over-hyped by bringing home a win on Sunday... but they will get that anyway because many still think they are 'America's Team'. If the Cowboys do win, I want it to be a 'white-knuckles', skin of their teeth, lucky bounce, controversial kind of win. But if they lose, I want it to be a blowout of epic proportions! Either of those scenarios would make me very happy. And we still owe the Rams a good butt-kicking in the postseason. I wouldn't mind getting another shot at them.

The Cowboys losing might give them more incentive to beat the Falcons Week 2 and the Seahawks Week 3 (if needed). But the Rams also have an easy schedule outside their division games. Tough call, so I don’t really care.

The Cowboys losing might give them more incentive to beat the Falcons Week 2 and the Seahawks Week 3 (if needed). But the Rams also have an easy schedule outside their division games. Tough call, so I don’t really care.
Yeah, I thought of both of those things. But I think the Cowboys are going to want to beat the Falcons just as much no matter how they do against the Rams.
I do believe that L.A. has the easiest schedule going forward. So I thought it best to hand them an early defeat to force them to have to play catch up the rest of the way. :)

The Cowboys keep acquiring talent, while the Rams keep losing it.

And, when/if fans are added, the Cowboys will have home-field advantage; the Rams will not.

Finally, the Rams have other teams in their division that can beat them; the Cowboys do not.

So the Cowboys appear to be the bigger threat, for now.

The Cowboys keep acquiring talent, while the Rams keep losing it.

And, when/if fans are added, the Cowboys will have home-field advantage; the Rams will not.

Finally, the Rams have other teams in their division that can beat them; the Cowboys do not.

So the Cowboys appear to be the bigger threat, for now.
The worst part about not having seen any preseason games is that at this time I have no way of knowing how much of what you say is going to actually happen.
I have to admit that my biggest consideration in my choice is how much I want the Rams to take a tumble playing their first game in their new multi-billion dollar palace.

In a few weeks we'll know for sure which of these teams are actually trending up or down as a true contender. But in the meantime my disdain for the Rams will have been partially satisfied by witnessing their Week 1 home loss at SoFi Stadium. Yeah, I guess you could say, it's personal.

While definitely rooting for Seattle (because duh, and I have Wilson on my FF team), at the end of the day it will be nice knowing that at least one of those teams will lose.

While definitely rooting for Seattle (because duh, and I have Wilson on my FF team), at the end of the day it will be nice knowing that at least one of those teams will lose.
True, but for Week 1 it will be a lot nicer to watch the Falcons bite the dust.
We can pull for a Seattle loss later. :9:

Bill:

That narrative had to take you a MINIMUM of 2-1/2 hours. Agree with your write up 100%.

If I said "man crush," it would go to your head... so I won't. :ezbill:

:gosaints:
I'm just glad that the members still seem to enjoy reading it. Thanks! :very-happy:

We need to remember to get these 'pulls' working for this week's games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom