Match Up KWTPF Week #14 – The SuperBowl Winning Formula (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh yes, I knew this thread theme would get you in here. :mwink:

But before you accuse me of throwing out some sort of ‘bait & switch’ column for you to read, keep in mind that such a formula already exists and is very well known to coaches, players, and fans alike. The shortest definition of such a formula is that everything has to work out better for your team than how things work out for your opponents. Of course the details of that formula can be as hard to discover as the secret ingredients for making Coca-Cola.

If you were to poll the average NFL fan regarding what the main ingredient is for finishing the season with a Lombardi Trophy, there’s no doubt that you would get a number of really good answers. These would include such things as having a great QB to lead your team, smart coaches that prepare effective game-plans, amazing offensive and/or defensive play-makers, avoiding costly injuries, limiting turnovers, eliminating ill-timed penalties, having a favorable schedule… and on, and on, and on.

Though all these answers are correct, no one can deny the fact that you must be a really good total team to be in the position that we find ourselves at this point in the 2019 season. Yes folks, we are now down to a 4-game regular season and we have one of the best formulas for success as any other team in the NFL. But now everything gets even more critical... the cream of the league has risen to the top. There are about 8 teams in the NFL right now who are 'cooking up' a winning recipe that gives them a legitimate shot at SuperBowl glory. And yet everyone’s formula for success still needs to pass the ultimate test… that is, being better than all the other recipes out there!

For those marquee teams who now headline the sports media shows, the last quarter of the regular season will definitely have a playoff feel to it because each game means so much to all the top contenders this year. No one is running away with either conference, and as of this writing only the Saints have a playoff spot chiseled in stone right now. But it’s easy to see which teams are most likely to be invited to the postseason melee that is about a month away. And what sets these teams apart? It's simply that they have the right mixture of vital ingredients to stand before the judge that really counts… the Won/Lost record.

But the final judging is far from over, and no one is unbeatable. Once the dust settles on the regular season and the final 12 earn their playoff positions, each team will be put to the ultimate test on the road to Miami. That test is called ‘Win or Go Home’. So let's hope that our formula will be better than every other team that we meet! :9:

Cowboys (6-6) at Bears (6-6) – Some picks are just easier to make than others. I mean, who of us doesn’t enjoy the TV cameras panning into Jerry Jones’ suite as he pounds his fist to each lugubrious loss his team hands to him? And it only gets better when it happens during a nationally televised, prime time game! :grin: So, forgive me for reveling in an old man’s misery, but I just have to pull for the Bears in this game. I invite you to join me.

Colts (6-6) at Buccaneers (5-7) – Since the Saints will be facing the Colts in Week 15, the question might be, “How will the outcome of this game affect the way the Colts play us at the Dome the following week?” Mathematically this game has zero effect on our standing, but it may have a psychological effect. A loss can all but eliminate the Colts for the playoffs. That may be enough to see a bit less fight in the boys from Indy next week. So it’s probably best to pull for the Bucs here. If nothing else it will do some damage to Tampa Bay’s draft position. Go Bucs!

Lions (3-8-1) at Vikings (8-4) – The real question here is, ‘Which team would you prefer to win the NFC North right now, the Vikings or the Packers?” True the Vikings still maintain a bit of a threat to leapfrog the Saints in the playoff seeding, but not nearly as much as the Packers do at the moment. It really helped us for Seattle to hang another loss on the Vikes on Monday. But if Minnesota can somehow win the division by knocking off Green Bay at the end of the year, it will most likely be with a record below our own. So, just to keep from handing the North crown to the Packers, I’ll be pulling for the Vikings.

Redskins (3-9) at Packers (9-3) – Our Easy Pick #2 this week has to be the Redskins. Their somewhat surprising win over the Panthers last week may have convinced them that they can actually be competitive in NFL games... occasionally. It sure would be nice if they could feel this way going into Lambeau Field this week and take down the Packers as well. Though I won’t be holding my breath, I will be using some of it to cheer on the Redskins for another upset this weekend. Pull for Washington!

Panthers (5-7) at Falcons (3-9) –
I’m almost afraid to see either of these division foes lose. I’m so worried about changing up the staff and the status quo of either of these franchises. Since they both have the right formula for failure at the moment, the only consideration here is regarding what can be done to keep things as they are. I personally feel that without a strong finish The Mighty Quinn is definitely a goner. Riverboat? Who knows? :shrug: (Edit: Well, we know now.) However, if winning this game would give Mr. Blank the confidence he needs to keep the Atlanta Choo-Choo chugging along with the same engineer next year, I’m all for tolerating a victory by the Failyuns. (P.S. – I don’t believe the jobs are secure for either one of these guys. But I can dream, can’t I?)

Steelers (7-5) at Cardinals (3-8-1) – The Cardinals are already eliminated from the postseason. So the only reason for listing this matchup is because it involves an NFC team. But for us, the only good thing that could happen here is for Arizona to push themselves back a few spots in the draft and give some of those earlier picks to some hapless AFC teams next spring. If you care at all about this game, I really can’t imagine why. Geaux Red Birds!

Seahawks (10-2) at Rams (7-5) –
I’m sure there was a time around the beginning of the season that this would have been a game that we would have been pulling for the Seahawks to win. But the Rams did us a big favor by returning to the ranks of mediocrity this year and giving us zero reasons to worry about L.A. taking this game. In fact, a Rams win over the Seahawks not only decreases the chances of Seattle earning the #1 Seed by 4%, it also increases our chance of grabbing that top spot by 9%! This is one of the few circumstances that I will suggest that we pull for the Rams. But it truly would help the Saints this time!

Giants (2-10) at Eagles (5-7) – This is another game that only has a bearing on the Saints if the Eagles can manage to sneak past the Cowboys to win the 4th Seed and the NFC East. Actually I am in favor of seeing the Eagles take the East just to watch the Cowboys and their fans writhe in pain. So let’s pull for the Eagles and just forget that the Giants even exist. Frankly, this year they really don’t. :covri:

49ers (10-2) at Saints (10-2) – Well folks, this is the BIG ONE! I don’t care what scenario that you try to pull out on the remainder of the season, this is the game that affects the outcome the most! Hands down, if we manage to win this game, the #1 Seed is practically in our pocket. This matchup is part of a long and hated rivalry which has reached epic proportions due to what is at stake in this game. Personally I believe that we must have everything go our way to pull this one out. But it’s vital that we win this one. A victory over the 49ers increases our chance for the #1 Seed to 67%! But losing this game drops that dream to 9% and includes the likelihood of losing a first round Bye! :eek: We need the formula to be right this Sunday! There’s no question about it… regular season football games simply don’t get any bigger than this one! It’s time to bring the games home to the Dome… and this is the victory that will do just that! :9:

Last edited:
Since Week 14 is now underway with Thursday Night Football, this calls for a bump.

Since Week 14 is now underway with Thursday Night Football, this calls for a bump.

Great start! The moaning and groaning of Dallas fans are just comical. Now we will see if Philly decides this is the week to catch up to them.

Great start! The moaning and groaning of Dallas fans are just comical. Now we will see if Philly decides this is the week to catch up to them.
Or they continue to give each other the division like a Christmas fruit cake neither one wants. Lol

Could someone give me the cliff notes version of this post... that's a lot of reading for my attention span :idunno:
When you're in a rush (or just don't have the attention span), do what I do: scroll down to the game paragraphs and read the first and last lines.
I used to write "Long Read" in the thread title, but I eventually left it out because the folks here came to understand that it is a weekly column where I try to include some substance to the write-up. But if the members here would prefer, I can definitely create these posts with a lot less verbiage. :scratch:

I used to write "Long Read" in the thread title, but I eventually left it out because the folks here came to understand that it is a weekly column where I try to include some substance to the write-up. But if the members here would prefer, I can definitely create these posts with a lot less verbiage. :scratch:

I'm good with verbiage -- in fact, have enjoyed it for years (I lurked for a very long time before I emerged), and have always looked forward to this thread. Was just trying to respond constructively. Not too long for me -- though if I'm catching it at the beginning of a work day, I do skim before coming back to it later.

Don't do that. It's perfect just the way you're doing it now. It takes literally less than five minutes to read.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom