KWTPF Week #3 (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
“Desperate times call for desperate measures”

While it’s likely that most here are familiar with the above expression, what may not ring a bell in our mind is the phrase’s origin. Some folks attribute the premise of the expression to the ancient Greek physician, Hippocrates. In his work Amorphisms, he wrote: “For extreme diseases, extreme methods of cure… are most suitable.”

After just two weeks into the 2016 NFL campaign there is a growing concern regarding the ‘health & fitness’ of our beloved patient, the New Orleans Saints. Reading a few of the postgame threads this past week might lead a person to believe that it’s time to pull the plug on this season. Some reminded us that the ‘0-2 symptom’ is a clear indication that the patient is not going to pull through, just as several previous occasions have demonstrated. Others view the weekly loss of key players to injuries as being like a bad flu that we just cannot shake. And a growing number of fans are recommending major surgery in the hope it will restore a quality of life some time in the future.

While it may be hard not to think of this winless season as being 'desperate times', it doesn’t take too much imagination to see how easily it (Coach Mora will forgive me) could’a/would’a/should’a been for our Saints to be 2-0 (and leading the NFC South) instead of scraping the bottom of our division once again. Of course ‘close’ doesn’t count in this league, and losses (no matter how small the margin) will always be harder to swallow than milk of magnesia.

But there is definitely a majority here who see a strong & steady beat on our team’s heart monitor. You just don’t pull out the paddles on a team that still has ‘heart’. Besides, we really haven’t seen a dominating, runaway team in the NFC just yet, which may realistically keep our poor start from becoming too critical for several weeks to come. This just emphasizes how important it is to know who to pull for each & every week.

Still one can only wonder what kind of diagnosis Mr. Hippocrates would present as the concerns increase among the Who Dat! family. Perhaps he would tell us that he has seen a lot of desperate situations in the past in which the “most suitable” treatment was to support the patient until the illness runs its course. Or maybe he would remind us that the much anticipated home game this week could turn out to be the shot of adrenaline that stimulates our patient much as it did 10 years ago! Aaah yes, a prime time victory over the hated Dirty Birds on Monday night is the perfect prescription to help put us on the road to recovery.

But even if that ancient doctor chooses to give the Saints a bad prognosis,… remember that it’s Greek to me. :ezbill:

Arizona 1-1 at Buffalo 0-2, Now that the Bills have been completely 'Ryanized', it doesn’t appear that things are looking much better for them than before. However, they can do a lot to help themselves and us if they can manage to hang a loss on the Cardinals in upstate New York this Sunday. If Rob can somehow find a way to shut down the Arizona offense and help the Bills' offense win this one,… then the poboy is on me! How’s that for incentive!

Detroit 1-1 at Green Bay 1-1, Though these two teams are sporting the same win/loss record going into Week #3, I still think it’s a safe bet that the Packers will hit their stride just as many of the weekly power rankings are predicting. So for now any losses early on could keep them on the road and out of Lambeau Field in the (likely) event they reach the postseason. It just makes more sense to pull for the Lions in this one.

Washington 0-2 at New York 2-0, Possibly the ‘No Brainer’ pick of the week goes to this matchup in the Meadowlands. While I can’t seriously imagine any team with a Spagnuolo-led defense becoming a real threat down the stretch, it never hurts to have an undefeated team lose to a winless team at this stage of the season. Pull for the boys from D.C.

Minnesota 2-0 at Carolina 1-1, Generally I find it hard to pull for any undefeated NFC team, especially while my own team is searching for their first win. But it’s difficult for me to even imagine a scenario where it might be a good idea to pull for Scam Newton and the Panthers. The Vikings might be the most puzzling undefeated ‘hard-luck’ team that I can remember in many years and I find it hard to believe that all the recent injury setbacks won’t eventually bring them back to earth. But let’s all pull for Minnesota to defy the odds for at least one more game and help to wipe away Newton’s cheesy grin.

San Francisco 1-1 at Seattle 1-1, The most disturbing thing about making this call is not that we all should want the Seahawks to lose, but that for the third time this year I have had to recommend that we pull for the 49ers to win a game in order to help us. Yes, it’s a cruel world folks, but for now Seattle still appears to be a bigger threat to take a playoff spot in the post season and possibly even host a game or two. Pull for San Francisco to hang a rare loss on the Seahawks in front of their ‘12th Man’ at CenturyLink Field.

Los Angeles 1-1 at Tampa Bay 1-1, So far the biggest flack I have taken in this series was to suggest that last week the Bucs would actually have been helping the Saints had they knocked off a strong Arizona team. The Cardinals mauled the Pewter Boys and the folks here seemed to have gotten what they were hoping for. (I’m still not convinced it was for the best.) But this week I find it much easier to ask that we all pull for the Rams. Not only will it knock the Buccaneers back another notch, but it will also make the point that Tampa Bay has quite a way to go to be truly scary in this league.

Pittsburgh 2-0 at Philadelphia 2-0, This early season Keystone State matchup pits two of the few remaining undefeated teams against each other for Pennsylvania bragging rights and a continued lead in their respective divisions. This is that part of the year where you look at an undefeated team and wonder, “Are they really one of the teams to beat this year, or were their first two opponents just incapable losers?” I guess we’ll learn soon enough if either of these Quaker State teams are the real deal. But the fact that pulling for the AFC over the NFC is a most basic formula of the KWTPF series, we should have no problem wanting to see the Eagles get plucked this Sunday afternoon. Roll Steelers!

Chicago 0-2 at Dallas 1-1, The Bears’ loss to Philly this past Monday night makes it a bit easier to encourage us all to cheer for Chicago to pull off the upset at the AT&T Palace in Dallas this week. I mean let’s face it, outside of seeing our divisional foes fall, it’s hard to get more satisfaction than watching the Jones Boys shoot themselves in the foot. Too bad Chicago can’t go back in time and hire Ditka (or Mini Ditka) to make this victory a sure thing! But either way, pull for Da Bears!

Atlanta 1-1 at New Orleans 0-2, There is a saying that ‘you can never go home again’. In many ways that phrase is most fitting as it applies to the Return to the Dome game 10 years ago when New Orleans and the world witnessed a rebirth of epic proportions after hurricane Katrina. It will be a long wait this week to see if we can call up even a smidge of the magic and excitement that was delivered by Steve Gleason and the Saints on that most incredible Monday night. But forget it folks, no matter what happens in this divisional clash with the Falcons, it can never approach what that atmosphere was like a decade ago. Fortunately it doesn’t really have to. We just need to get back to our winning ways. And who better to renew that trend against than one of our most hated rivals. I’m not sure what the over/under is on how many references will be made of that fateful night of rebirth during this Monday night’s broadcast, but I sure hope the Saints give the announcers something positive to discuss about this year’s game and this current Saints team. Or else we will all be wishing we could go back home.

dot who? You're doing a pretty good job! Much appreciated! :9:

Surely the correct phrase here would be Who Dot...? :mwink:

St Dude is irreplaceable to many of us with his KWTPF threads, but Bill is doing a damn fine job stepping in and I'm certain the dotless one would raise a smile or two reading this column.

Great job Bill.

These KWTPF posts are better entertainment than most of the Saint articles on the Internet.
You should post them on some sort of blog for people to share with the non-SSF population.

Surely the correct phrase here would be Who Dot...? :mwink:

St Dude is irreplaceable to many of us with his KWTPF threads, but Bill is doing a damn fine job stepping in and I'm certain the dotless one would raise a smile or two reading this column.

Great job Bill.

Yeah, I was just kidding. Always have good memories of the dotless one's fantastic writeups. Irreplaceable indeed. No doubt he's smiling. :9:

So you're telling me I should cheer for the Saints, and against the cowboys, falcons, and panthers? I have no problem with that -- it's what football season is all about.

So you're telling me I should cheer for the Saints, and against the cowboys, falcons, and panthers?

Yes, of course. But there are logistical reasons to do this, as well as the moral and ethical reasons that you are eluding to.

:hihi:

Good job, Bill. You're back on track now. Even though we are 0-2, we are just one game back in the division. My new high def system arrives today. Can't wait to see our boys whoop the birds come Monday.

My new high def system arrives today. Can't wait to see our boys whoop the birds come Monday.

Hey, it's good to remember that if you didn't get a really big screen high definition TV...

just sit closer! :ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom