KWTPF Week #7 (1 Viewer)

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
“It was the best of times; it was the worst of times...”. It’s not likely that you reflected on this literary quote after Wil Lutz (practically) secured the Saints victory over the Carolina Panthers on Sunday with a fieldgoal as he split the uprights from 52 yards away. But you most certainly could have. After an inspiring first half of mostly dominating football by our boys against a desperate and determined divisional opponent, the Saints appeared to find that stride they had been in search of all season. Suddenly there were players whose names were not listed anywhere on the team’s depth chart at the start of the season who were making plays to shut down the Panthers drives. There were big name free agents who were finally showing us fans why they were worth what it cost us to have them sign on the dotted line.

But when you have lived in the land of “No Lead Is Ever Safe” as long as many of us here, the ‘worst of times’ can sometimes be just a second-half kickoff away. For much of the remaining game the offenses took on the appearance of two NBA teams running up and down the court driving for layups. It seemed that the only thing that could stop either team were their own mistakes. But of course we also cannot overlook one intangible that has been plaguing the league all year… officiating. While it has certainly become fashionable for NFL fans to question and pick apart the rulings of those striped rules officials, we are all beginning to run out of adjectives to describe how incredibly inept these crews have become at keeping these contests fair and flowing. Lately it seems that the only acceptable form of pass defense is when the football is overthrown. Waaaaay overthrown! It’s hard not to sound like sour grapes when discussing these ‘flag-happy’ referees, but the NFL will have to address this problem very soon if they want to avoid a plethora of ‘game integrity’ issues from driving away fans of the pro game. Anyone who watched the Jets-Cardinals Monday night game probably took note of the faces of both team’s fans as the TV cameras panned around the stadium after many of those yellow hankies hit the turf. The average expression read, “What has happened to this game?!?!?”

But “all that is gold does not glitter…” and despite the enjoyment of knocking off an arch rival at a time when we needed it most, the harsh reality of trying to work ourselves out of a deep hole still exists. The Saints know that they cannot count on getting help from any other team. This two game win streak is proof that they understand “the way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing”. But as fans we know there is still a lot that other teams can do to make our goal appear brighter in the weeks to come. So lending our support in many key upcoming games adds a measure of excitement as the standings get shuffled around in the NFC. But that also means we may have to start applying some of the unwritten rules of Know Who To Pull For as it applies to what may likely happen over what we may want to see happen. (See Minnesota at Philly example below)

It has been so much more enjoyable to read and be involved in many of the discussions on the Saints Super Forum in the last few weeks. The Who Dat Nation is riding the wave of believability in our team once again and some have even donned their foil hats along with their Black & Gold colored glasses. While I won’t knock the chants of “13-3” from this enthusiastic bunch, there are still a lot of things the Saints have to prove to get everyone on that train. No one can deny that this is probably the best we have felt about our team in quite some time. Understandably no one is truly comfortable with the uphill climb ahead of us. I won’t argue that at least now there is legitimate reason for hope and we should all feel some of that. But “believing takes practice”.

Chicago (1-5) at Green Bay (3-2), Growing up as a Saints fan I learned to love the underdog in most every game I ever watched. It’s the classic David vs Goliath, tortoise vs the hare, Rocky vs Apollo mindset that wants me to see a hapless Bears team knock off those proud Discount Double Checkers from Wisconsin. Another Packers loss could also be helpful to us in the event that Green Bay can’t get past the undefeated Vikes and needs NFC victories to get into a wildcard spot. So let’s go with Da Bears this week’s Thursday Night game.

New York (3-3) at Los Angeles (3-3), This will be an intriguing matchup that will take place across the pond at Twickenham Stadium in London, England. So get up early if you want to see the 8:30 CDT kickoff for this one. I suppose this choice of venue is the NFL’s way to show those Londonites what their old rugby scrums turned into once it took off here. Perhaps the NFL can do a better job teaching the London fans what defines pass interference better than any of us understand it. We clearly have no idea. Ordinarily the decision of who we should pull for would be based on where these teams currently stand in their respective divisions. The Giants are in last place in the East and the Rams are in second place in the West despite sporting the same record. But we can’t pull for the Giants while they currently hold the head to head tiebreaker over us. We just need to see London Bridge falling down… on top of them! Geaux Rams!

Washington (4-2) at Detroit (3-3), I’m still not convinced that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder hasn’t made some sort of deal with the Devil to have his team sporting a winning record at this stage of the season. I would be brimming with smiles if neither of these teams ever won another game for the rest of their existence unless it was against one of our divisional rivals. But alas, they do have to play each other occasionally and so we do have to know which of these two teams would look best with a bigger number in the LOSS column. For me, seeing the DC Indians take a tumble might be enough to make those pot-bellied Hogettes wish they had never retired. While I know that this would put the Lions at 4-3,… this is Detroit man! The rest of the NFC North is going to make sure their balloon won’t be inflated for long. Pull for the Lions to maul the Redskins.

Minnesota (5-0) at Philadelphia (3-2), We are finally getting to that part of the season where a clear front runner in a division has a chance to knock a wildcard hopeful down a notch. The Vikings may now serve us best by beating some of the competition. Since we cannot know for sure if the Saints can get back in the playoff race without winning the NFC South, we have to assume at this point that we may be competing with Philly for one of those coveted wildcard spots, especially if Jerrah Jones forgets his Romo-lust and lets Dak take the East by storm. The Eagles have been in a tailspin of late and I wouldn’t mind seeing them whack into terra firma. Pull for the Purples.

San Diego (2-4) at Atlanta (4-2), It was hard not to think of the Chargers as another one of those dumpster fire franchises after the way they self-destructed against a couple of teams including us earlier this season. I can honestly say that I didn&#8217;t laugh too hard at the way they handed us our first victory of the season in the closing minutes of our game with them two weeks ago. For one thing it looked far too much like many of our past faux pas&#8217;, thus I could relate. But also I remembered that they needed to keep their collective helmets on straight for the other NFC South matchups that was coming up on their schedule. You just can&#8217;t laugh at a team and then beg them to take down one of your most hated rivals a few weeks later. Some here are truly expecting a Dirty Bird meltdown for the balance of the season while others see the potential for them to be a real contender for one of those post season BYEs. If there is going to be a collapse, there&#8217;s no better time than this weekend in their own Georgia Circus Tent. Let&#8217;s pull for the Chargers to make some real FailClowns out of Matty Mouse and the Schoolyard Julios. <--(thanks Mr Simon)

Tampa Bay (2-3) at San Francisco (1-5), Would it be too much to ask for Kaepernickelback to be known for something besides kneeling on the sidelines? Like winning a football game perhaps??? We all know that the Buccaneers are a team of mystery so far this year. They have been the only team to knock off Atlanta and Carolina in the NFC South while struggling mightily against everyone else. Having a tiebreaker lead over us in the division makes any loss for them a real treat for the Saints. But it&#8217;s never easy to pull for San Francisco, so to avoid that bad taste in your mouth, just pull for the former Dreamsicles not to win.

Seattle (4-1) at Arizona (3-3), The Seahawks did the Saints a huge favor last week by coming back to take down Atlanta in the closing minutes of the game. Obviously besides us being able to endure to the end against Carolina, that outcome made last week&#8217;s KWTPF a resounding success! I&#8217;m sure that there are some who might already be willing to relinquish the West to Seattle and want them to hang a fourth loss on the Cardinals in Glendale. If this were Week #8 or later I might have to agree. But if it comes down to whether the Saints might have to travel for a January playoff game at CenturyLink or the U of P Stadium, I&#8217;m taking an indoor game in CactusLand every time. There is still a lot of football to be played and it might be best to first watch and see if these teams in the West may be able to keep their records mediocre as they beat up each other trying to vie for the top spot. For now it&#8217;s probably best if the Seagulls and their fans don&#8217;t start booking flights to Houston just yet. Pull for the Redbirds.

New Orleans (2-3) at Kansas City (3-2), Now that Missouri is down to one NFL team, I wonder how many St Louis fans jumped over to the western border of their state and traded their horns for arrowheads. I can&#8217;t say I&#8217;d be so supportive to the league if my team left town, and there's little doubt in my mind that there are far less fans of the NFL in that gateway city than ever before. Of course Kansas City has been very supportive of their football team as far back as the days of Hank Stram and the AFL. Mr Stram, who was also a head coach for the Saints in the early 70s, once was quoted as saying, &#8220;There are few secrets in football, so you have to execute&#8221;. That pretty much sums up what the Saints have to do to fly home with a .500 record on Sunday evening. And if we do, then we could be looking at an entirely new season!

Geaux Saints! :9:

TheIronSheik

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Im pulling for Seattle cause, i think it would be better to play them after a win where they might come in over confident then a loss where all team would be angry and more motivated.

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Another masterpiece, Bill.

With the Saints' improved play, I hope many WhoDats would chime in on this important thread... including those who disagree with your choices. This back & forth conversation about who should win and/or who we WANT to win... is interesting, and helps us keep a wide angle lens view on what's ahead.

Your efforts are not in vain, brother. For instance: On the surface, you'd think we should pull against the 5-0 Vikings. You make a reasonable case for the opposite... not that I necessarily agree. :ezbill:

Great job, Bill. I know this takes a lot of time for you to draft, edit and post. Thanks for keeping a SR.com tradition (KWTPF) alive. Great stuff, bro! :9:

:gosaints:

OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For instance: On the surface, you'd think we should pull against the 5-0 Vikings. You make a reasonable case for the opposite... not that I necessarily agree. :ezbill:
In my heart I want them to crash and burn starting this week. But it doesn't look like that's going to happen, and it doesn't help to give other NFC teams some victories if the Vikings are going to win the North anyway.

Things get real dicey starting around the middle of the season because everyone has a different opinion about who's most likely to win more games than the Saints. By the last few weeks of the season the picks become much more obvious.

But yes, I do enjoy hearing the opinions of how others wish the outcomes to turn out.

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
In my heart I want them to crash and burn starting this week. But it doesn't look like that's going to happen, and it doesn't help to give other NFC teams some victories if the Vikings are going to win the North anyway.

Things get real dicey starting around the middle of the season because everyone has a different opinion about who's most likely to win more games than the Saints. By the last few weeks of the season the picks become much more obvious.

But yes, I do enjoy hearing the opinions of how others wish the outcomes to turn out.
Hoping for a Saints' win at KC, even though the Chiefs haven't lost there in over a year.

Records are set... to be broken!

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)