NFL Kyle Brandt (1 Viewer)

He just made an excellent point on Good Morning Football about the roughing the passer rules. We really don't want/need starting QBs getting hurt often. It's in everyone's best interest that they're protected more thoroughly. Especially when it's such a difficult position to begin with
I just can’t get on board with that as a reason for these ridiculous roughing calls. It’s too much protection. That’s part of the game. You affect the QB, you affect the game. No, I don’t want to see Drew Brees get demolished and taken out. But, that’s East the OL gets paid for, to protect him. Unless it’s egregious, play ball.

What do you say to the DE who just got hurt because he was trying to avoid drawing a flag?

“Sorry, his career is more valuable than your’s.”

Come on!

Sort of an ignorant comment...

The QB is the focal point of the NFL. Of course his career is more valuable to the NFL than a DE. That’s why QBs make close to 30 million per year and William Hayes has probably barely made that in his whole career

The QB is the focal point of the NFL. Of course his career is more valuable to the NFL than a DE. That’s why QBs make close to 30 million per year and William Hayes has probably barely made that in his whole career
So what if Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, JJ Watt, etc went on IR because of it? And it was against Ryan Fitzpatrick, Blake Bortles, Case Keenum, you getting the picture?

The league has no integrity then. It's getting really hard to watch.

Essentially, QB's are being granted an exception as football players. They can't be tackled in the same manner as other football players. You can't run into a kicker after he has kicked the ball but you can tackle him any way you can get him to the ground (including arm to the head). A running back can be tackled in any manner other than a helmet to helmet (including arm to the head). WR's can be tackled in any manner (including arm to the helmet) as long as they are not defenseless. All other ball carriers, including defensive players on a turnover can be tackled in any manner as long as they are not horse-collared (including arm or hand to the helmet) or targeted by a helmet to helmet blow. But QB's....can't hit them low in the pocket, your arm can't hit them in the head and you can't land on them when you tackle them.

I’m sorry but you can tell the difference between a Suh power drive on a QB and a legal QB sack. I completely agree with getting rid of the flagrant intent to hurt sacks, but you seriously can’t expect 250-350lbs guys running full speed to stop on a dime, assess the QB, walk up and softly hug the guy all the way to the ground. It’s a stupid rule that needs to either be re-worked or gotten rid of. I mean they already can’t even graze the QB above the collar or go below the knees, what the heck do they expect defensive players to do?

He just made an excellent point on Good Morning Football about the roughing the passer rules. We really don't want/need starting QBs getting hurt often. It's in everyone's best interest that they're protected more thoroughly. Especially when it's such a difficult position to begin with

They are toting the NFL company line on that one. That of course is the reason why this garbage rule has been put in place. Show me what percentage of QBs are getting seriously injured because defenders are falling on top of them with their body weight. I'll wait.

Qbs used to be revered for their toughness, their ability to take a hit, get back up and stand tall in the pocket. This rule is stripping the hero allure of the QB and turning them into kickers and punters. C'mon NFL business leaders, you cannot be this short sighted.

If I were an NFL QB I would feel like a little birch because of this rule. Basically everyone is saying you are a puss.
They are toting the NFL company line on that one. That of course is the reason why this garbage rule has been put in place. Show me what percentage of QBs are getting seriously injured because defenders are falling on top of them with their body weight. I'll wait.

Qbs used to be revered for their toughness, their ability to take a hit, get back up and stand tall in the pocket. This rule is stripping the hero allure of the QB and turning them into kickers and punters. C'mon NFL business leaders, you cannot be this short sighted.
Exactly where I was trying to go with my earlier post. (y)(y)

The only answer is put flags on him. I know that sounds crazy, but I am being serious. It's the only way to remove contact with him.
The Davenport sack of Matt Ryan happened because he pulled his shoulders down after pushing the center and actually pulled him by going over the center. Couldn’t pull a flag in that case unless he had flags on his shoulder pads.

This NFL strategy might be good for them on short term but they will lose viewers in the long term. Also, I don't think it prevents a lot of QB injuries. When was the last time we saw a QB get hurt this way before Rodgers? One could argue Rodgers only got hurt because he landed weird, not because of the weight of the defender on him.

If they really want to low the risks of QBs getting hurt they should prohibit QB runs. Not that I would like a rule like that but this is the way most QBs get hurt.

Is there any evidence that less QBs are getting hurt since these stricter rules have been put into place? I tend to doubt that it's made any meaningful impact in that regard. I think it has more to do with the NFL wanting to look like it did something, regardless of whether or not it actually does anything.

All of the ‘softening’ rules are litigation related. Period. The league is and has been facing many lawsuits, CTE etc.

Even quarterbacks are speaking out about the rule and the implementation of it. It’s another badly written rule with inconsistent interpretations and calls on the field. These are the same guys that made something as simple as a pass reception so complicated all kinds of controversy arose. They are breaking the game more and more each year.

And that talking head is simply carrying the water for his employers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom