Kyle Pitts - Is it ever a good idea to take a TE with the 4th pick in the draft? The answer is no!!! (1 Viewer)

If you had a crystal ball and could see that a TE like Ozzie Newsome, Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, etc.. Was going to be that good, then of course you would take a TE that early. The problem is real life doesn't work that way, I would take a TE that high that had potential to be great before a RB or WR, because those positions are typically deeper.

Not really interested in entering this debate and taking a side....however, i just want to point out. A lot of the arguments for the kid are the same things that were said about Vernon Davis.
Not really, Davis' combine numbers pushed him up the board while Pitts has better production in the SEC vs ACC for Davis. As others have said, the TE position has been changing since Sharpe, it's really a big receiver now. Guys like Megatron, Julio, and Green go so high because of their size to speed ratio.

If we were talking about an old school, Mark Chmura or Ben Coates TE that would be one thing but we're talking about a weapon that will basically be a TE in name only. Teams would've gladly taken Jimmy Graham that high if they could go back in time. Jimmy wasn't a traditional TE, he was a weapon.

The position has evolved more than any other in my lifetime. Back in the day TEs were miniature tackles who would occasionally catch a pass here and there. There really wasn't a place in the league for WR/TE tweeners but now they are thriving.
Come on man. Everything you guys are saying about Pitts, was said about the 2010 Lions 10th overall Eric Ebron. How much better is Pitts going to be, compared to other TE drafted late 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th round. You guys are banking on Pitts 2020 8 game covid season production , and the voice of so called experts hyping of a player no one heard of before 2021. Dan Mullin is a passing genius, and has a lot to do with Pitts, and Trask's production in 2020 leading to both, IMHO being over drafted. If Pitts is top 3 TE in the power rankings in end of 2021. I will admit I was wrong, shut my mouth and take my medicine. But, he is not going to change ATL's fortunes anyhow. They are screwed, and we should sweep them next yr.

Receiving & Rushing​

ReceivingRushingScrimmage
YearSchoolConfClasspiece of workGRecYdsAvgTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2018FloridaSECFRTE337324.3100037324.31
*2019FloridaSECSOTE135464912.050005464912.05
*2020FloridaSECJRTE84377017.9120004377017.912
CareerFlorida100149214.918000100149214.918

Come on man. Everything you guys are saying about Pitts, was said about the 2010 Lions 10th overall Eric Ebron. How much better is Pitts going to be, compared to other TE drafted late 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th round. You guys are banking on Pitts 2020 8 game covid season production , and the voice of so called experts hyping of a player no one heard of before 2021. Dan Mullin is a passing genius, and has a lot to do with Pitts, and Trask's production in 2020 leading to both, IMHO being over drafted. If Pitts is top 3 TE in the power rankings in end of 2021. I will admit I was wrong, shut my mouth and take my medicine. But, he is not going to change ATL's fortunes anyhow. They are screwed, and we should sweep them next yr.

Receiving & Rushing​

Everything you said makes sense until the last part, too much homer bias. Is there someone else they could have drafted that accomplishes that target? OROY is a decent target, not top 3.

Everything you said makes sense until the last part, too much homer bias. Is there someone else they could have drafted that accomplishes that target? OROY is a decent target, not top 3.
I think I understand what you are asking. Yes, there were WRs there.

His up side is Mike Evans, his floor post Saints Jimmy Graham.

Receiving & Rushing​

I'm not banking on anything. Matter of fact I hope we see his name on all time busts lists in the future. If I'm the falcons GM right there I would've tried my best to trade down. All I'm saying is that I can see why they used such a high pick on him. He's an elite prospect and his upside is immense. He could be a game breaker for them.

My point is that I don't see him as just a TE. He has the tools to be a matchup nightmare for years to come.

I'm not banking on anything. Matter of fact I hope we see his name on all time busts lists in the future. If I'm the falcons GM right there I would've tried my best to trade down. All I'm saying is that I can see why they used such a high pick on him. He's an elite prospect and his upside is immense. He could be a game breaker for them.

My point is that I don't see him as just a TE. He has the tools to be a matchup nightmare for years to come.
I agree, he looks the part. I'm not really against Pitts, he looks super on film. But, you really only have 8 games of film on him, in a non combine, covid year. He could be Mike Evans, or he could be an 8 game wonder. I'm a Pitts buyer outside the top 10. But the risk on a TE @ 4 was to much for me. Btw....Mike Evans and Pitts are the same size. Do you really think he will be better than Mike Evans, or draw different coverage because he is listed as TE on the roster. He is going to draw the best cover guy the team has or double team, just like Evans. Who, btw doesn't wear an S on his chest either.

I agree, he looks the part. I'm not really against Pitts, he looks super on film. But, you really only have 8 games of film on him, in a non combine, covid year. He could be Mike Evans, or he could be an 8 game wonder. I'm a Pitts buyer outside the top 10. But the risk on a TE @ 4 was to much for me. Btw....Mike Evans and Pitts are the same size. Do you really think he will be better than Mike Evans, or draw different coverage because he is listed as TE on the roster. He is going to draw the best cover guy the team has or double team, just like Evans. Who, btw doesn't wear an S on his chest either.
That's a fair point about Mike Evans. The mismatches come into play when you have a LBer or Safety trying to cover him based on where he's lined up. Sure, defenses can use their top cover corner to shadow him but that in and of itself is a mismatch because of his size. We saw teams do that with Jimmy and it only really worked a few times when the Corner was big and physical. Like a Sherman or Talib.

And if you have your top Corner down in the box lined up across from Pitts then what about Calvin Ridley? Defenses will have to pick their poison.

An Mike Evans might not wear a S on his chest but the dude is pretty damn good. Only a few Corners in the league can handle him one on one. We just so happen to have on of those few. Against other teams he's a monster.

That's a fair point about Mike Evans. The mismatches come into play when you have a LBer or Safety trying to cover him based on where he's lined up. Sure, defenses can use their top cover corner to shadow him but that in and of itself is a mismatch because of his size. We saw teams do that with Jimmy and it only really worked a few times when the Corner was big and physical. Like a Sherman or Talib.

And if you have your top Corner down in the box lined up across from Pitts then what about Calvin Ridley? Defenses will have to pick their poison.

An Mike Evans might not wear a S on his chest but the dude is pretty damn good. Only a few Corners in the league can handle him one on one. We just so happen to have on of those few. Against other teams he's a monster.
ATL. only has one football and so much $$$$ to go around. Paying your TE, WR money. Is not the way you run your cap money. Ridley may feel jilted.

Last edited:
I think we could have drafted Evans, but took Cooks instead. (should have taken Evans) ATL. only has one football and so much $$$$ to go around. Paying your TE, WR money. Is not the way you run your cap money. Ridley may feel jilted.
What?

Pitts is such a freakish athlete and projects so well as a producer in the NFL, he is worth the pick, IMO.

Plus, it is much better to pay him on rookie deal, because where I get worried about giving TEs too much money is the next contract, because injuries take much more of a toll on those guys over the years than for WRs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom