NFL Draft Kyle Trask Pro Day (2 Viewers)

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score
Sticky Post

The forgotten Heisman candidate. Trask is arguably the most accurate QB in this class. He has elite pocket awareness and movement, great at his ability to read defenses pre-snap, go through progressions, and elite accuracy, not only in ball placement, but also accurate in anticipation of where his receiver will be and reads of the defense.

“Trask said teams are most impressed with his ball placement. He said that they like his ability to turn a 50-50 ball into an 80-20 ball for his receivers.”
mullen predicts trask will have long nfl career

Combine that with elite size and a solid arm, and I strongly believe, if Trask lands with the right team—like the Saints west coast offense—he may end up one of the best QBs in this class. He has a stronger arm than it appears some believe, and can make all the throws. (“Trask clearly has the arm strength” Lance Zierlein NFL.com Draft Profile)

“Smart, accurate pocket passer who displayed consistent progress in his game through the years. Patient, remains poised as the pocket collapses around him, and consistently scans the field going through progressions. Senses the rush, moves outside the pocket to buy time, and throws with a fluid over over-the-top delivery. Locates the open wideout and goes to the safe, underneath outlet if necessary.
Consistently keeps his eyes downfield and distributes the ball using all his targets. Consistently identifies the open wideout, anticipates where his receivers will be, and hits targets in stride. Accurate and does not make pass catchers work hard based on his ability to place throws. Effective setting up screen throws. Does a great job commanding and controlling the offense.”
-Pro Football Network

Sure he was surrounded with elite receiving options, but some of their achievements should be credited to Trask as well. And is that really a knock? It isn't like Trask was merely average with those receivers. Trask was 4th in the heisman race because he was exceptional. Trasks one bad game was against Oklahoma. He performed poorly, but with his top 3 receivers out. Regardless of their talent, any QB will drop off if his #4 receiver is now #1, #5 now #2, etc., especially with a guy like Trask who excels at anticipating where his receivers will be, which clearly is affected when you lose your top 3 familiar targets, along with numerous other obvious problems—not getting separation, coverage sacks, etc.

The guy's only real knock is mobility. He isn't Kyler Murray, but Trask had 2 rushing TDs against LSU and 1 against Alabama. He isn't a slug by any stretch of the imagination and is certainly capable of running. Our current system is setup for Trask's style play with Brees anyway.

I’d love to see Saints land Trask at 28.

Last edited:

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You don’t throw like he did, for 2 years in a row in the modern SEC, and suck.
This guy wanted a contrarian POV article.
SEC defenses the past few years have not been the SEC defenses of old. Plus, last year was definitely not a good indicator of defense, with all of the opt outs and stuff Covid brought. Just my $.02

Optimistic Ozzy

Bleeder of Black and Gold
Reaction score
I'm kinda doubtful he'll be there at pick ,60.
If the FO wants him, a trade in the mid second round may be enough to pick him .
All depends on the flow of the draft
Take that extra 3rd and trade up to get him.

someone

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nahhh... His arm talent is back up quality. If he can elevate the rest of his game. It would make an interesting case. Yet, Trask isn't worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. Just because you can tear up some covid defenses doesn't make you impossible to bust. Saints do like him in the 3rd.
"Arm talent" is such a generalized "Trust me, I know what I'm talking about" statement. What does that even mean? Strength? Accuracy? A good looking bicep and forearm?

I don't care if we draft him or not, but just making a blanket statement about his "arm talent" without giving any supporting evidence indicates you're just trashing a player you don't like.

Not a fan of his throwing mechanics. He's long bet gamble.
Here's another. His "throwing mechanics" without giving any details of what that means. Just more buzz words that you think will have people fooled into thinking you know what you're talking about. What about his "throwing mechanics" are you not a fan of?

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Fansided website. No clue who that guy is, but he clearly doesn't like trask. He lost me when he tried to argue against trask's accuracy. It's pretty widely agreed upon that one of Trask's best traits is his accuracy/ball placement, and he's one of the most accurate QBs in the draft. Maybe the fan who wrote the article has an agenda to push Saints away so Trask falls to whatever team he likes? No clue, but take fansided articles with a heavy grain of salt
Oh I agree, and I do, along with most of what I read.

someone

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Also, a quick recap of previous posts you've made of recent quarterbacks with your brilliant eye for QB talent:
Josh Allen is pretty mediocre. I don't know. Ravens are the only team in that draft with a high performing QB. And he has his woes as well.

I think the Jets are ruining Darnold, but I only had his ceiling as a top 15 QB at best. When I say Top 15... I mean like 12-15th best QB.
Re: Jalen Hurts
The best thing going for him is his leadership ability. He's the best leader in the draft to go along with his elite athleticism.

It would be difficult for him to have any real success at QB in the NFL. This is the one time a black QB maybe should consider moving to a different skill position may hold some merit. He has all world talent, but his QB play is just super questionable. Even after a spectacular season in Oklahoma.
Still my number 1 QB on the board.
So to recap, Josh Allen is mediocre. Jalen Hurts should play a different position because he won't have any "real success at QB in the NFL" and Tua was your number 1 QB on the board.

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Link? Everything i’ve seen stems from the ESPN insider, Jeremy Fowler, report saying Saints like trask. Then reports just speculate where saints may target him based on mock drafts. Besides, i just like hearing they like him. I wouldn’t trust leaks about how high they rank him
LINK
Via Adam Wells of Bleacher Report, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported on Saturday’s “SportsCenter” that the Saints “like” Florida quarterback Kyle Trask. Trask is ranked by many pundits as the sixth-best quarterback in the class, behind the five quarterbacks who are likely to be selected within the top 10-15 picks of the draft.
I assume this is what you were talking about.

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
Arm talent. Are we talking distance thrown? Brees didn't have a great deal of that. But the ball could be delivered with enough zip. And even when he lost that, he was accurate. He threw a very catchable ball.

Trask does similar things. So is his air velocity low? Can he not flick the ball 70 yards downfield like Fields, Wilson, or Lance? Are those nice to have traits but not all important? Being able to extend plays and put the ball right where it needs to be are far more important.

And I'm not even saying we need to draft Trask...but I wouldn't be upset if we grab him.

OP
Dillonsp

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score
LINK

I assume this is what you were talking about.
I've seen the Fowler report saying the Saints like Trask. I was requesting a link from the person who posted it was leaked the saints like Trask as "a mid round prospect". Everything I've seen has been speculation as to where Saints may target him

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Also, a quick recap of previous posts you've made of recent quarterbacks with your brilliant eye for QB talent:

So to recap, Josh Allen is mediocre. Jalen Hurts should play a different position because he won't have any "real success at QB in the NFL" and Tua was your number 1 QB on the board.
On point!

Summed7

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Whether you like Gordan Hayward or not is besides the point. He's a basketball player and this thread should be moved to the Pels board.

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Taken 597
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Got to admit you were 0-3 on those above, maybe you should chill on the definitive QB scouting type posts.

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Arm talent. Are we talking distance thrown? Brees didn't have a great deal of that. But the ball could be delivered with enough zip. And even when he lost that, he was accurate. He threw a very catchable ball.

Trask does similar things. So is his air velocity low? Can he not flick the ball 70 yards downfield like Fields, Wilson, or Lance? Are those nice to have traits but not all important? Being able to extend plays and put the ball right where it needs to be are far more important.

And I'm not even saying we need to draft Trask...but I wouldn't be upset if we grab him.
I think there is still some holdover from years gone by when it comes to these types of undefined traits. Kinda like we are sitting in that meeting in Moneyball talking about whether or not Trask has a good looking girlfriend as if that has anything at all to do with his NFL success.

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen the Fowler report saying the Saints like Trask. I was requesting a link from the person who posted it was leaked the saints like Trask as "a mid round prospect". Everything I've seen has been speculation as to where Saints may target him
This is all I can find. LINK
"I'm told the Saints could be a sneaky contender to draft a quarterback somewhere in Day 2 or Day 3,” Fowler said. “I was at Florida’s Pro Day this week to see Kyle Trask throwing and I was told there was a little buzz from the Saints, who like Trask’s game. So he could be a contender for him, whose considered a Day 2 pick. "

OP
Dillonsp

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score
This is all I can find. LINK
Yeah that’s what I figured. There is no link stating where the saints like Trask, and I wouldn’t trust it if i found one. Glad to read Saints like him though

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I figured. There is no link stating where the saints like Trask, and I wouldn’t trust it if i found one. Glad to read Saints like him though
I like Trask too. But not with a 1st, nor with a 2nd.

The 1st round pick is going to be a CB, that's my guess. The 2nd will get used on a LB or WR - whichever falls the most. Then a 3rd on Trask. If he's still there.

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

1. Josh Allen was a below average QB until last year.
2. Jalen Hurts had one good game.
3. I really had faith in Tua to break that Bama learning curve. It did not happen.

Try a little harder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom