NFL Draft Kyle Trask Pro Day (2 Viewers)

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score
Sticky Post

The forgotten Heisman candidate. Trask is arguably the most accurate QB in this class. He has elite pocket awareness and movement, great at his ability to read defenses pre-snap, go through progressions, and elite accuracy, not only in ball placement, but also accurate in anticipation of where his receiver will be and reads of the defense.

“Trask said teams are most impressed with his ball placement. He said that they like his ability to turn a 50-50 ball into an 80-20 ball for his receivers.”
mullen predicts trask will have long nfl career

Combine that with elite size and a solid arm, and I strongly believe, if Trask lands with the right team—like the Saints west coast offense—he may end up one of the best QBs in this class. He has a stronger arm than it appears some believe, and can make all the throws. (“Trask clearly has the arm strength” Lance Zierlein NFL.com Draft Profile)

“Smart, accurate pocket passer who displayed consistent progress in his game through the years. Patient, remains poised as the pocket collapses around him, and consistently scans the field going through progressions. Senses the rush, moves outside the pocket to buy time, and throws with a fluid over over-the-top delivery. Locates the open wideout and goes to the safe, underneath outlet if necessary.
Consistently keeps his eyes downfield and distributes the ball using all his targets. Consistently identifies the open wideout, anticipates where his receivers will be, and hits targets in stride. Accurate and does not make pass catchers work hard based on his ability to place throws. Effective setting up screen throws. Does a great job commanding and controlling the offense.”
-Pro Football Network

Sure he was surrounded with elite receiving options, but some of their achievements should be credited to Trask as well. And is that really a knock? It isn't like Trask was merely average with those receivers. Trask was 4th in the heisman race because he was exceptional. Trasks one bad game was against Oklahoma. He performed poorly, but with his top 3 receivers out. Regardless of their talent, any QB will drop off if his #4 receiver is now #1, #5 now #2, etc., especially with a guy like Trask who excels at anticipating where his receivers will be, which clearly is affected when you lose your top 3 familiar targets, along with numerous other obvious problems—not getting separation, coverage sacks, etc.

The guy's only real knock is mobility. He isn't Kyler Murray, but Trask had 2 rushing TDs against LSU and 1 against Alabama. He isn't a slug by any stretch of the imagination and is certainly capable of running. Our current system is setup for Trask's style play with Brees anyway.

I’d love to see Saints land Trask at 28.

Last edited:

i_am_error

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I look forward to him analyzing his successor every Saturday on the SEC Network.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Saints will come out of this Draft with a QB, I don't know if its going to be Trask but we will bring in a QB. Winston and Hill are on 1yr deals so they are auditioning for a position that technically has not been filled.

OP
Dillonsp

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score
I like Trask too. But not with a 1st, nor with a 2nd.

The 1st round pick is going to be a CB, that's my guess. The 2nd will get used on a LB or WR - whichever falls the most. Then a 3rd on Trask. If he's still there.
I’d be shocked if trask slips past 2nd round. He’s a first round talent, imo. I truly believe he may end up one of the best QBs in this class, especially with a team like the Saints

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’d be shocked if trask slips past 2nd round. He’s a first round talent, imo. I truly believe he may end up one of the best QBs in this class, especially with a team like the Saints
You may be right. Some others have said he's a first rounder too, you're not the only one saying that. But I have my hopes on Jameis. He's a different person from what he was two years ago. He's matured, and he's getting top level training.

I'm more worried about CB and LB . Don't want to see Tom Brady feasting on scrubs in our secondary.

OP
Dillonsp

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score

Kyle Trask vs Georgia
Trask was phenomenal against an excellent Georgia secondary that will have 3 players selected in this year's draft, including one player in round 1 (Campbell) and another likely on day 2 (Stokes). Stokes had an early interception, but Trask bounced back for an excellent showing.

Key Notes:
Accuracy: Trasks ball placement, especially on "50/50" balls, is jaw dropping. Trask puts the ball where his guy has the best chance to catch it, even in great coverage.
Touch/Arm strength: It appears some people may be confusing touch with arm strength. Trask puts NFL caliber touch on his passes for a very catchable ball, which is how he throws most passes. He also showed the ability to put zip on it when necessary.
Pocket: Trask showcased his ability to sense pressure, move in the pocket, keep his eyes downfield, and make great throws.
Also, for those who argue he had elite receivers, Pitts was knocked out of the game early on a targeting penalty (2 catches), Grimes was held to 2 catches, and Toney returned this game from a shoulder injury and did not have a good first half (7 catches total)

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
I like Trask, if we don't pick him in the first round, who takes him in the second round or early third. Most teams are set at QB, and about five other guys will get picked in the first round. Just curious which teams do people think would have an interest in Trask in the second round?

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
One of the things that I was struck by when watching Trask play Georgia again, was how much it reminded me of a 6'5" Drew Brees. The way he stands in the pocket. How Brees avoided the rush in his prime.

It's easy to see why the Saints like him a bit. I'm curious what sort of mind he has though. That's the real thing of it all. Can he learn and adapt to the speed of the NFL? How much smarter defenses get and can he absorb the instruction from Payton and company?

Sadly, we can't know this unless he's drafted.

cant

Rookie
Reaction score
I’m pro Trask. I think he has great accuracy, awareness, and footwork. I find these intangibles to be the most important after watching an undersized ”weak armed” Brees dominate the league for 15 years.

I would love to get him in the 2nd, but if we reached for him in the 1st I would support the decision.

OP
Dillonsp

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like Mills, but nowhere near trask because: Mills makes questionable/inconsistent decisions, can be slow making reads/deciding to throw, and locks on to receivers. Those issues may be correctable.
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/davis-mills-nfl-draft-player-profile-stanford-quarterback/
All that said, I wouldn’t be mad if we took mills in the mid to later rounds

I think he's as viable an option to Trask and other QB's in this draft he should be considered in regards to QB prospect on the Saints radar.

The write up you posted his positives are perfect for how this offense runs and wants to get back to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom