NFL Draft Kyle Trask Pro Day (2 Viewers)

Dillonsp

Most Valuable Poster
Reaction score

The forgotten Heisman candidate. Trask is arguably the most accurate QB in this class. He has elite pocket awareness and movement, great at his ability to read defenses pre-snap, go through progressions, and elite accuracy, not only in ball placement, but also accurate in anticipation of where his receiver will be and reads of the defense.

“Trask said teams are most impressed with his ball placement. He said that they like his ability to turn a 50-50 ball into an 80-20 ball for his receivers.”
mullen predicts trask will have long nfl career

Combine that with elite size and a solid arm, and I strongly believe, if Trask lands with the right team—like the Saints west coast offense—he may end up one of the best QBs in this class. He has a stronger arm than it appears some believe, and can make all the throws. (“Trask clearly has the arm strength” Lance Zierlein NFL.com Draft Profile)

“Smart, accurate pocket passer who displayed consistent progress in his game through the years. Patient, remains poised as the pocket collapses around him, and consistently scans the field going through progressions. Senses the rush, moves outside the pocket to buy time, and throws with a fluid over over-the-top delivery. Locates the open wideout and goes to the safe, underneath outlet if necessary.
Consistently keeps his eyes downfield and distributes the ball using all his targets. Consistently identifies the open wideout, anticipates where his receivers will be, and hits targets in stride. Accurate and does not make pass catchers work hard based on his ability to place throws. Effective setting up screen throws. Does a great job commanding and controlling the offense.”
-Pro Football Network

Sure he was surrounded with elite receiving options, but some of their achievements should be credited to Trask as well. And is that really a knock? It isn't like Trask was merely average with those receivers. Trask was 4th in the heisman race because he was exceptional. Trasks one bad game was against Oklahoma. He performed poorly, but with his top 3 receivers out. Regardless of their talent, any QB will drop off if his #4 receiver is now #1, #5 now #2, etc., especially with a guy like Trask who excels at anticipating where his receivers will be, which clearly is affected when you lose your top 3 familiar targets, along with numerous other obvious problems—not getting separation, coverage sacks, etc.

The guy's only real knock is mobility. He isn't Kyler Murray, but Trask had 2 rushing TDs against LSU and 1 against Alabama. He isn't a slug by any stretch of the imagination and is certainly capable of running. Our current system is setup for Trask's style play with Brees anyway.

I’d love to see Saints land Trask at 28.

Last edited:
He’s a good pick in the 5th round. He doesn’t have any traits that stand out. His arm is okay. He reads defenses well. He can move in the pocket but isn’t mobile. He’s not tall. Maybe he’ll be as good as Kirk Cousins.
I am a Gator fan and I watched how Trask progressed through the years. He won the starting a few years over Franks and got hurt. Franks got hot and held onto the job until getting injured himself. For the LSU fans he was one bad throw from upsetting the national title run. He was going throw for throw with Joe Burrow until he forced one in the endzone that was picked. He still came right back the next drive and drove down for a TD. Last year LSU defense didn't stop him. The D stopped LSU with almost 2:30 minutes left until the player threw a shoe and let you guys in FG range. He still led the team back with little to tie up the game and the kicker missed. More time on the clock Gators win. I think he will be a great fit with Sean. He is 6'5 240 with a decent arm and very accurate.

He’s a good pick in the 5th round. He doesn’t have any traits that stand out. His arm is okay. He reads defenses well. He can move in the pocket but isn’t mobile. He’s not tall. Maybe he’ll be as good as Kirk Cousins.
I think someone will pick him up early second rd, much like the Eagles picked Hurts early in the second last year.

He’s 6’ 5”. That’s pretty tall. 😊

I think people are going to be shocked at how high he gets picked... It's like no one is talking about him, and he was one of the best players in college football - on a very good team - at the most important position - and in the best conference. I think he's a 2nd round pick... at least.

No way he lasts to round 5. If he's there with one of our 3rd rounders, I think Sean runs to the (virtual) podium. I'm betting he sneaks into the 1st round though. I wouldn't be mad if we take him in the 1st, but I'd rather grab a CB or LB.

Positives: Smart, accurate pocket passer who displayed consistent progress in his game through the years. Patient, remains poised as the pocket collapses around him, and consistently scans the field going through progressions. Senses the rush, moves outside the pocket to buy time, and throws with a fluid over over-the-top delivery. Locates the open wideout and goes to the safe, underneath outlet if necessary.

Consistently keeps his eyes downfield and distributes the ball using all his targets. Consistently identifies the open wideout, anticipates where his receivers will be, and hits targets in stride. Accurate and does not make pass catchers work hard based on his ability to place throws. Effective setting up screen throws. Does a great job commanding and controlling the offense.

Negatives: Not a mobile or elusive quarterback. Slow and ineffective on designed quarterback runs. Possesses solid arm strength but not big-time arm talent.

Analysis: Trask is a traditional pocket passer with great vision, instincts, and wherewithal. He’s accurate with a terrific sense for what’s happening on the field, but the lack of foot quickness and leg speed limits him to just a few offensive systems.

Sound Familiar?

Positives: Smart, accurate pocket passer who displayed consistent progress in his game through the years. Patient, remains poised as the pocket collapses around him, and consistently scans the field going through progressions. Senses the rush, moves outside the pocket to buy time, and throws with a fluid over over-the-top delivery. Locates the open wideout and goes to the safe, underneath outlet if necessary.

Consistently keeps his eyes downfield and distributes the ball using all his targets. Consistently identifies the open wideout, anticipates where his receivers will be, and hits targets in stride. Accurate and does not make pass catchers work hard based on his ability to place throws. Effective setting up screen throws. Does a great job commanding and controlling the offense.

Negatives: Not a mobile or elusive quarterback. Slow and ineffective on designed quarterback runs. Possesses solid arm strength but not big-time arm talent.

Analysis: Trask is a traditional pocket passer with great vision, instincts, and wherewithal. He’s accurate with a terrific sense for what’s happening on the field, but the lack of foot quickness and leg speed limits him to just a few offensive systems.

Sound Familiar?
Yep.
I’d take a taller Drew in a New York Minute.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom