L.A. stadium developer targeting 6-7 teams (1 Viewer)

I think Rams are a very likely option as well. The team is up for sale which several new sources have reported over the last week. It would also make a nice "home coming" story

Don't have to worry about blackouts when you have Supercast. :)

I have a hard time believing that, with all the fiscal troubles in California, the 49ers will be able to get the new stadium deal in Santa Clara.

Think about it. You're Roger Goodell in the NFL front office, the Santa Clara stadium deal falls through for the 49ers, and there is a stadium developer ready to go in Los Angeles, a market you dearly want to develop.

With the 49ers and the Raiders both splitting a very tight market, it only makes sense to move one of them out and, if the Santa Clara stadium deal fails, that means the 49ers will move south.

I'm betting it's the 49ers who end up in Los Angeles. They won't even have to change the name. It still fits.

I also hate to see relocation. But the logical candidates on paper are Oakland and Jacksonville. Three NFL franchises in Florida are too much. And given that the Raiders once played in Los Angeles and generate a circus atmosphere, they seem a natural fit for the hype culture of southern California.

Buffalo's answer is to strengthen ties with Toronto, giving the NFL greater access in another country. Minnesota's fans have supported the Vikings too much for too long for that team to leave. The San Francisco area is too big for the 49ers to leave. And St. Louis is a great sports town, though the pro football team will always be at best 1b to the baseball Cardinals.

I think the Jags, the Raiders, and maybe the San Diego Chargers are the best candidates for relocation to L.A. I leave out Minnesota because their a legendary NFL franchise with far too much history to be allowed to leave that market bare and dry. The NFL will find a way to help the Vikings either get a new stadium or perhaps share on for a while with the Gophers or maybe stay a while in Target Field, the new Twins ballpark opening up next year, in downtown Minneapolis. The Twins may balk at being forced to share their brand new home with the Vikings, but to allow a storied franchise like the Vikings pack up and move off to a market that is ambivalent at best would be a shame and like Art Modell taking the old Browns to Baltimore 13 years ago.

I don't think the NFL should help the Vikings stay in Minnesota as long as the state has that law on the books stopping the league from suspending players that fail the drug tests. In fact I would encourage the Vikins to move to LA.

No to the Vikings man, Minnesota is a great city. I personally think it should be the Raiders or 49ers, California has enough teams as it is. San Fran and Oakland are 10 miles apart, why do they need two teams there?

The problem is Orlando is typically considered Tampa Bay's market. Tampa Bay isn't going to take kindly to Jacksonville encroaching on their market share just to half-*** salvage the situation there.

Having lived in Florida for quite some time, most of the people I run into here were actually born in a different state. Consequently, you have born and raised Saints fans like me living in Miami. I think Florida has a big transient population, so most of the fans here just pull for their original hometeam. We have a lot of transplants from New York, so when the Marlins play the Yankees, there are more Yankees fans in Marlins Stadium by far. Its not even close, its like 2:1. Furthermore, those fans who actually were born in Orlando probably gravitate towards whatever team is the strongest in their developmental years. Fans that grew up in the 80s anywhere in Florida treasure the Dan Marino years because the Dolphins success far surpassed that of the Tampa Bay Bucs in the 1980s. When the Bucs were putting together that great run in the beginning of the current decade, they probably won a lot of fans from the surrounding markets like Orlando, the Space Coast, Naples, etc. That team, though our division rival, was a fun team to watch with such standouts as John Lynch, Warren Sapp, etc. It just seems that fans in Florida either pull for the best team in the state, or they just are a transplant to Florida - and the transplants pull for their original home team. Now that the Gators are reigning supreme over the NCAA, you will probably find more Gator fans than UM or FSU fans. But when UM had its great streak with Vilma, Shockey, Portis, McGahee, Gore, Sean Taylor, etc, you would find fans dressed in orange and green even on the campuses of UF and FSU. It was sickening for me, a UF alumn.

No to the Vikings man, Minnesota is a great city. I personally think it should be the Raiders or 49ers, California has enough teams as it is. San Fran and Oakland are 10 miles apart, why do they need two teams there?

I agree with Gamebreaker, but still believe that the Jags will make the move. Regardless, it will break a lot of loyal fan's hearts, which is the worst part of this deal IMO.

Stadium developer to ask six NFL teams to move to L.A.
Daily News Wire Services
Updated: 10/08/2009 09:53:49 AM PDT

Personally I hope it never happens--just increases the risk of blackouts on DirecTV when they can't sell their tickets.

I could be wrong, but only the home market gets blacked out, not everyone else. I was able to watch the Detroit game (well parts of it) even though it was blacked out in Detroit. Or am I crazy?

Well the NFL re-aligned years ago and evened moved teams from one conference to another so I think if the Jags, Bills, or Vikings move they would at least consider re-alignment.

We had a big rivalry with the Rams and 49ers since we came into the league...that went away...and remember guys no way the NFL would mess with America's team and Indy had to go somewhere. Heck KC may have history with these teams, but all the recent history hasn't been good maybe they would welcome a change.

The way I would see re-alignment would be if........

Vikings move to NFC West then St. Louis moves to NFC North
Jags move to AFC West then KC moves to AFC South
Bills move to AFC West then KC moves to AFC south and Indy moves to NFL East....just think Colts vs Pats twice a year the NFL would love that.
Rams, 49ers, Chargers, or Raiders move...no re-alignment.

I hate any team relocating but the writing seems to be on the wall for the Jags. Shame for them but at the very least it will remove the threat for other teams. What will the threat be then....I'm moving the team to San Antonio unless you build me a new stadium? That'll get them laughed out of the room. And like everyone already pointed out it's incredibly nice not to be the first or second team mentioned in these articles.

This is obviously not going to be a popular opinion ,and I was as upset about the Saints to SA thing as anyone, but San Antonio, IMO, would/could easily support a pro football team. Just glad it will never be the Saints :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom