La. gov's budget anticipates LSU hospital savings (1 Viewer)

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Exactly how was Jindal able to hi-jack Louisiana without details for all the cuts that he's made or wants to make? He's seemingly going all in to become the Republican nominee and no one is saying anything about the repercussions all of this will have for the state.

La. gov's budget anticipates LSU hospital savings - Yahoo! News

OP
livefromDC

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Nothing against budget cuts. But at what cost and to what end are these cuts being made? Jindal came into office with a budget surplus and a balanced budget. For all of his budget cuts, he hasn't done either. What's the point of budget cuts, if the ends don't justify the means. The state continues to fall deeper in debt as more public money flows into the private sector.

One commenter summed it up better than I could:

One of the first things Mr.Jindal did here in Louisiana upon taking office is push through a repeal of a taxpayer approved tax plan, instantly creating a budget shortfall. He replaced it with ideology. And of course the shortfall he intentionally created became justification to start his cuts. Then he takes our well-functioning, straight forward Medicaid system, and injects 5 private managed care companies, located out of state, into the program, diverting our tax dollars away from health care and into insurance profiteer pockets, eliminating anything resembling quality health care for the seriously ill on Medicaid, and costing lots of private sector health care jobs. He passed some nonsense legislation later overturned by the court whereby he would take taxpayer money away from the public school system and give it to private schools, including religious schools teaching creationism and other nonsense. He continues to cut higher ed, and of course our state university system is now in serious decline. Now he wants to eliminate state income tax and convert to a consumption tax, instantly shifting tax burden away from the wealthy and corporations and dumping it on working people, the disabled, and the poor. He is a partisan hack completely unconcerned with the welfare of the state residents and focused only on his own national political ambitions, so he is doing everything he can to enact ALEC policy across the board in Louisiana so as to please national party masters.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In fairness, Jindal didn't propose the repeal of the Stelly income tax increases and didn't support them until it was clear that the legislature was going to pass it without his input. Only later on did he begin to take complete credit for those cuts since it helps his conservative bona fides.

I don't think anyone should be against trimming the fat out of the budget, but Jindal has paid for most of his cuts by using one-time sources of money, like federal grants through FEMA and the stimulus package (which he would spend and decry at the same time as wasteful), tobacco settlement money, sales of state hospitals and prisons and the like to private operators, the "rainy day fund" required by the state constitution which I'm pretty sure has been drained to practically zero, BP money, etc. Eventually the state will run out of things to sell, but Jindal will be on to his next big job before everything falls apart.

IMO every action Jindal has taken for the last four years has more to do with his never-ending quixotic quest for national office and less to do with ensuring the state's financial health for the long run. He's just governing from a checklist at this point.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
IMO every action Jindal has taken for the last four years has more to do with his never-ending quixotic quest for national office and less to do with ensuring the state's financial health for the long run. He's just governing from a checklist at this point.
this is it.

jasonj

All-Pro
Reaction score
but Jindal has paid for most of his cuts by using one-time sources of money, like federal grants through FEMA and the stimulus package (which he would spend and decry at the same time as wasteful), tobacco settlement money, sales of state hospitals and prisons and the like to private operators, the "rainy day fund" required by the state constitution which I'm pretty sure has been drained to practically zero, BP money, etc. Eventually the state will run out of things to sell, but Jindal will be on to his next big job before everything falls apart.
what a jerk

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
Nothing against budget cuts. But at what cost and to what end are these cuts being made? Jindal came into office with a budget surplus and a balanced budget. For all of his budget cuts, he hasn't done either. What's the point of budget cuts, if the ends don't justify the means. The state continues to fall deeper in debt as more public money flows into the private sector.

Yep, pretty much. Louisiana has been a sacrificial lamb served up to Jindal's national spotlight god. And the sad thing is, he has no chance of being President. He has no obvious success to run on. It's a total delusion of grandeur that ended up harming the state badly.

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
Is Jindal going to run for the Senate against Mary Landrieu in 2014?

Just asking. I have no idea.
Truly, I have no idea what his long term goal is. It seems to be the Presidency, like I said, but the fact is that will never happen. Public Policy Polling did a poll last week on potential Republican Presidential Candidates, and Jindal came in with only 4%. He was above only Rick Perry and Suzana Martinez. He's simply not on the radar. Obviously things can and do change, but the reality is he's third or fourth tier (at best) at this point.

Here at home? His approval is at an abysmal 37%. He alienated a good chunk of his own party and left a lot of the Republican reps and senators not happy when he bull rushed his legislation through. I heard this directly from some of them when I was still doing the newspaper thing. He hasn't made many friends with his "my way or the highway" style of governance. Basically everyone that isn't his lackey loathes him.

So I really have no idea what his game is. He's not going to be President. He has nothing to run on. There have been constant budget shortfalls during his tenure as governor, he has killed higher education and healthcare, major parts of his education reform (which was supposed to be his crown jewel) have been ruled unconstitutional, he has alienated both many in his own party and his own electorate....He has nothing to hang his hat on, nationally. He has no successes at the state level that he can point to and say "I'll do this for America." In many ways, Louisiana has badly regressed under his leadership.

Frankly, I've gotten this kind of chaotic "slash and burn" mentality from him during his second term. I don't know that he has any grand plan, I think he just wants to be noticed by the national players. He just wants to be one of the big dogs, no matter what role. It's kind of pathetic and crazy, but it seems he is, too.

the-commish

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Truly, I have no idea what his long term goal is. It seems to be the Presidency, like I said, but the fact is that will never happen. Public Policy Polling did a poll last week on potential Republican Presidential Candidates, and Jindal came in with only 4%. He was above only Rick Perry and Suzana Martinez. He's simply not on the radar. Obviously things can and do change, but the reality is he's third or fourth tier (at best) at this point.

Here at home? His approval is at an abysmal 37%. He alienated a good chunk of his own party and left a lot of the Republican reps and senators not happy when he bull rushed his legislation through. I heard this directly from some of them when I was still doing the newspaper thing. He hasn't made many friends with his "my way or the highway" style of governance. Basically everyone that isn't his lackey loathes him.

So I really have no idea what his game is. He's not going to be President. He has nothing to run on. There have been constant budget shortfalls during his tenure as governor, he has killed higher education and healthcare, major parts of his education reform (which was supposed to be his crown jewel) have been ruled unconstitutional, he has alienated both many in his own party and his own electorate....He has nothing to hang his hat on, nationally. He has no successes at the state level that he can point to and say "I'll do this for America." In many ways, Louisiana has badly regressed under his leadership.

Frankly, I've gotten this kind of chaotic "slash and burn" mentality from him during his second term. I don't know that he has any grand plan, I think he just wants to be noticed by the national players. He just wants to be one of the big dogs, no matter what role. It's kind of pathetic and crazy, but it seems he is, too.
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
The charity hospital system is one of the best things about Louisiana...

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The charity hospital system is one of the best things about Louisiana...
Seems that it won't be much longer.

I'm usually not averse to change, but my god what are these people doing?

It's as if they've just running government like Gordon Gecko and auctioning off the assets to the highest bidder who strokes them a check.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is Jindal going to run for the Senate against Mary Landrieu in 2014?

Just asking. I have no idea.
higher office.

From what I have heard he wants White House job- just not the presidency. He has a plan, I just dont know all the particulars just yet. I plan on finding out tho.

As Wukong said, his approval rating is too low to make a run at Landrieu in 2014. But from what I have heard, he is fixated on a "national" position.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
Seems that it won't be much longer.

I'm usually not averse to change, but my god what are these people doing?

It's as if they've just running government like Gordon Gecko and auctioning off the assets to the highest bidder who strokes them a check.
Well, as long as you have poor people keep chanting the mantra of the wealthy...

Reaction score
Privatization fallout questioned | Home | The Advocate

Community hospitals in areas with LSU hospital privatization deals are seeing increasing numbers of uninsured patients, putting strains on their finances, state senators complained Monday.
“Those nonpartnership hospitals in those communities are clearly getting slammed,” state Sen. Sherri Buffington, R-Keithville, said.
State Sen. Ronnie Johns, R-Sulphur, said patients are going to the emergency rooms of two hospitals in the Lake Charles area that are not part of any partnership arrangement with the state now that the public W.O. Moss Regional Medical Center has closed.
“Those hospitals are not being compensated one penny for those coming in,” Johns said.
State Sen. Dan Claitor, R-Baton Rouge, said the same thing is happening in Baton Rouge where Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center is now LSU’s partner.
The senators sought answers from LSU System Vice President Frank Opelka about the developments since LSU turned the responsibility of “safety net” care of the uninsured to private hospital partners. Because of the “safety net” responsibility, the LSU partners, unlike other community hospitals, are being reimbursed 100 percent of uninsured care costs.
Hmmm, could it be a combo effect of the privatization and opting out of the ACA that is crushing the hospitals that aren't being reimbursed? How long till those have to close and we wind up with the ones being reimbursed having to take over?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom