La. may get new refinery: Governor to discuss $4B deal (1 Viewer)

SaintsFan11

Semper annus alter erit.
Reaction score
La. may get new refinery
Governor to discuss $4B deal

The addition of the Kuwait trip indicates an agreement may have been secured to build a new oil refinery, which would have an enormous economic impact on the state.

Kuwait is interested in building a new U.S. refinery, costing about $4 billion. Louisiana is one of the sites under consideration for the refinery. The last refinery built in the U.S. was the Marathon Oil refinery in Garyville, just upriver from New Orleans.

http://www.acadiananow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061101/NEWS01/611010338

awesome. Bring in the jobs and the cost of gas goes down. I'll give her this, she does seem to work very hard to promote La. around the world.

Blanco: Toyota interested in Monroe mega site

BATON ROUGE — Toyota Motors is interested in the state’s 1,425-acre industry-ready mega site near Monroe, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said this morning in an phone interview from Japan.

The company is sending “within the next week or so” a representative to inspect the site, which is located between Monroe and Rayville on I-20 and U.S. 80 in Richland Parish, she said.

The governor is on an industrial inducement tour of Japan, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong this week. Speaking from Tokyo at 10 p.m. Wednesday Japan time – 7 a.m. in Louisiana -- Blanco said she had met earlier Wednesday with Katsuhiro Nakagawa, vice chairman, and several executives of Japanese-based Toyota, which is looking for a U.S. site to build SUV’s.

“We definitely wanted them to know we were interested,” the governor said. “We told them about the mega site in Northeast Louisiana along I-20.”

We're all crossing our fingers, too. Especially with the news that Guide Corp is pretty much shutting down, including about 1100 jobs in Monroe. All but a few will be gone in two months and all will be gone by June 2007. A lot of skilled workers will be anxiously awaiting Toyota's decision.

Any reports of whether or not she has cried or blathered during her trip?

and you guys lost State Farm, a lot of jobs but good riddance, they shouldn't even be allowed to do business in the state and when they left they should have taken Cleo Fields with them

Man, I hope she is successful, but I am skeptical. It all sounds promising, but I also know she recently waved bye-bye to a New Orleans based company rather than put any state money on the table, so, I am not holding my breath.

I read recently that Toyota was looking to build a new plant in the U.S. and had hoped that Louisiana would be a contender. That it could be Monroe is great to hear. That is a region in desperate need of some economic revitalization.

Man, I hope she is successful, but I am skeptical. It all sounds promising, but I also know she recently waved bye-bye to a New Orleans based company rather than put any state money on the table, so, I am not holding my breath.

I was thinking as I posted the above that on the news of another budget surplus, I can't think of a better use than to invest the funds in incentive packages and/or allocate towards on-site infrastructure improvements as an investment in Louisiana's economic future.

It would be sweet if she could pull them both off. She doesn't have much of a public persona but she sure seems damn good at sitting around a board room table behind closed doors.

Blanco will sign agreement with Kuwait

BATON ROUGE – Gov. Kathleen Blanco will sign an agreement with Kuwait to negotiate for the Middle East oil powerhouse to build a new refinery in Louisiana.

http://www.acadiananow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061101/NEWS01/61101012

also of note from that article:
Blanco travels Thursday to Shanghai, where she will sign an agreement for the construction of the $1 billion Synfuels Inc. plant announced last summer for Ascension Parish. The plant would be built in China by Sinotec and barged to Louisiana. The company plans to convert Northwest Louisiana lignite into synthentic fuels, with by-products fueling an electrical generating plant to supply cheaper electricity to surrounding petrochemical plants that invest in the generation plant.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom