Lab Puppies Question (1 Viewer)

Hi, we're from the Mobile, Alabama area and we're looking for a home.

Attachments

• AL67_14134731-1-x.jpg
    AL67_14134731-1-x.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 47
  • AL218_14753324-1-x.jpg
    AL218_14753324-1-x.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 47
  • MS69_14504589-1-x.jpg
    MS69_14504589-1-x.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 47
They may not be pure bred, but those have to be part lab.
Not a substantial part.. those paws are way too small.

The little yellow guy on the left in the box though, I could take him home in a heartbeat.

Not a substantial part.. those paws are way too small.

The little yellow guy on the left in the box though, I could take him home in a heartbeat.

I'm not a dog expert so I can't argue with that. However we did get a lab/boxer mix from a shelter a home as I said earlier and we got really lucky because even though she was the biggest of the 3 puppies, she's going to remain fairly small. The doc said he doesn't expect her to get much over the 20lb range which is awesome for us because we got her to be a replacement for our 2 chihuahua pups that we had to find a new home for. She's super loving and great with Kyler, she's not so big and not too small for him to pick her up so I think she's basically the perfect size for us.

I love labs, but they do get a bit big and we were just going to deal with that because of their tempermant.. now we seem to have found the best of both situations.

From what I read that ridge posted, it doesn't seem like he's looking to breed, but rather a good companion dog for his kid. If that's the case I don't know that he's dead set on a purebred lab :idunno:

These are in Florida - but this is just an example of what you can find

Description:

Wow, we have another litter of Lab puppies at Pet Rescue by Judy. See, this is why we are advocates of spaying and neutering your pets! There are seven of these precious babies, as well as their momma, who are looking for their forever home. They are not spayed or neutered yet, but will be before they go home. We expect Blinkin to be neutered on Monday, 10/05, so he should be ready to go home with you on Wednesday. If interested, please apply so your application can be propperly screened and approved before you come to meet him on Wednesday.

As you know, Labs make great family dogs. They love people, kids, and other dogs -- they are happy as long as they have someone to play with them.

If you're interested in any of these adorable puppies, please complete an adoption form and we'll setup a meeting so you can meet one or all of them.
Description:

Wow, we have another litter of Lab puppies at Pet Rescue by Judy. See, this is why we are advocates of spaying and neutering your pets! There are seven of these precious babies, as well as their momma, who are looking for their forever home. They are not spayed or neutered yet, but will be before they go home. We expect Blinkin to be neutered on Monday, 10/05, so he should be ready to go home with you on Wednesday. If interested, please apply so your application can be propperly screened and approved before you come to meet him on Wednesday.

As you know, Labs make great family dogs. They love people, kids, and other dogs -- they are happy as long as they have someone to play with them.

If you're interested in any of these adorable puppies, please complete an adoption form and we'll setup a meeting so you can meet one or all of them.

http://www.petrescuebyjudy.com/animals/detail?AnimalID=1871443

Lots of great information here. Thanks guys. I will let you know what I end up doing. I would like to get a pure Lab, that is why the rescue and shelter route is sort of tough. KOS, great pics and finds, makes you want to get more than one just to help out.

I used to breed labs and blue heelers. I would screen each person that called and explain that if they had never had a lab there were things they should be prepared for. I dearly loved mine but they chewed my shrubs off at the roots, chewed the wires off of two vehicles, chewed my husbands work boots and would roam the woods for days. The first two years are the worst and then they gradually calm down. I now rescue animals from the side of roads. I presently have 28 and after a little adjusting they make the best pets. They are all spayed and neutered and I even have Pitts that I have integrated into the pack. I live alone in the middle of a 2000 acre pine plantation that belongs to my family. I know that I have the perfect set-up and I sometimes go to the local pound and adopt deaf dogs. The thought of euthanasia on unwanted animals makes me sick. Shelter dogs or roadside dogs make the most loyal pets anyone will ever have. Trust me, I know. I've been doing this for 30 years. If you still want a lab check the Jackson, MS Clarion-Ledger Sunday edition or a publication in MS called the "Market Bulletin". I sold mine for $250 and they had an excellent pedigree.

I'm not a dog expert so I can't argue with that. However we did get a lab/boxer mix from a shelter a home as I said earlier and we got really lucky because even though she was the biggest of the 3 puppies, she's going to remain fairly small. The doc said he doesn't expect her to get much over the 20lb range which is awesome for us because we got her to be a replacement for our 2 chihuahua pups that we had to find a new home for. She's super loving and great with Kyler, she's not so big and not too small for him to pick her up so I think she's basically the perfect size for us.

I love labs, but they do get a bit big and we were just going to deal with that because of their tempermant.. now we seem to have found the best of both situations.

From what I read that ridge posted, it doesn't seem like he's looking to breed, but rather a good companion dog for his kid. If that's the case I don't know that he's dead set on a purebred lab :idunno:
There's valid arguments for both rescues and purebred dogs. I've gone both routes with dogs I've had in the past and for me, getting a purebred was usually a safer bet than a rescue mutt.

When I was a senior at Rummel, we rescued a Bouvier (big Belgian herding dog) that was AKC registered and he turned out to be a great dog, but we had to do a lot of work to get him healthy. Because of how he was mistreated as a puppy, he never attained his full size, never got his ears cropped, had heartworms, his coat was matted to his skin, and he was about 40 lbs, when he should have been over 80. We got him healthy, but his growth was stunted and his biggest weight was in the low 70's. He turned out to be a good dog though.

In college I found a mutt roaming around my apartment and took him in. He was indestructible, but borderline mentally challenged and untrainable. He wasn't a bad dog per se, but not one I would have looked for. I eventually gave him to a friend's dad when I moved to a non pet-friendly apartment a few years later.

After the apartment stint was up and I bought a house, my wife's sister's dog had an unwanted litter courtesy of some dog that got in her back yard. But because she was old and they weren't able to be selective about the breeding (and should have spayed their dog WAY sooner), he wasn't healthy and had to be put down at 11 months because of uncontrollable seizures. He was 100 lbs, black, and looked menacing, but was utterly useless as a watchdog since he never barked and never met anyone he didn't like.

After him, I bought my first lab puppy who's now pushing 12 years old. He's been a fantastic dog. He's well trained, has a decent temperament although not real trusting of new people, has been relatively healthy except for a sports related injury, and has been a joy to own.

Our second dog after him was another rescue and she was a lab mix. She was also a really good dog and came from a home where she wasn't wanted but wasn't mistreated. She quickly assimilated into our home and was the sweetest dog you could imagine. We had to put her down last week due to cancer though.

I seriously considered another rescue, but the risk of not knowing the health issue as well as the likely temperament made me go back to the route of buying a purebred lab. It was doubly important now that we have a toddler running around the house and I want to have a reasonable level of trust in the dog that he won't hurt her intentionally.

I have a really good friend who's got two rescue mini schnauzers, and had one prior. The first one had health issues and only lived with him a couple years before he had to be put down, the second one is a pretty decent dog, and the third is very skittish and I won't let my little girl be around him since he's snapped at me on more than one occasion. He was mistreated as well, and hasn't really gotten over it.

I used to breed labs and blue heelers. I would screen each person that called and explain that if they had never had a lab there were things they should be prepared for. I dearly loved mine but they chewed my shrubs off at the roots, chewed the wires off of two vehicles, chewed my husbands work boots and would roam the woods for days. The first two years are the worst and then they gradually calm down. I now rescue animals from the side of roads. I presently have 28 and after a little adjusting they make the best pets. They are all spayed and neutered and I even have Pitts that I have integrated into the pack. I live alone in the middle of a 2000 acre pine plantation that belongs to my family. I know that I have the perfect set-up and I sometimes go to the local pound and adopt deaf dogs. The thought of euthanasia on unwanted animals makes me sick. Shelter dogs or roadside dogs make the most loyal pets anyone will ever have. Trust me, I know. I've been doing this for 30 years. If you still want a lab check the Jackson, MS Clarion-Ledger Sunday edition or a publication in MS called the "Market Bulletin". I sold mine for $250 and they had an excellent pedigree.
My ex's college roommate had a blue heeler... coolest dog ever.

KOS, I have been thinking hard about moving out of my apartment and renting a house, if I do that I am definitely going to be looking for a puppy, and I will go the the pound to get it.
:9:

KOS, I have been thinking hard about moving out of my apartment and renting a house, if I do that I am definitely going to be looking for a puppy, and I will go the the pound to get it.
:9:

If we didn't have 2 kiddos we more than likely would have gotten more than one pup and down the road I'm sure we will.

I know that petfinder will be our route for sure.

My ex's college roommate had a blue heeler... coolest dog ever.
Blue heelers are the coolest dogs, ever. I have three and one red heeler now. Mine usually live to be 14-16 years old. They are extremely intelligent. As you can tell, I love mine. When I was breeding them I sold several to families with small children. Cool dogs, really cool.

Blue heelers are the coolest dogs, ever. I have three and one red heeler now. Mine usually live to be 14-16 years old. They are extremely intelligent. As you can tell, I love mine. When I was breeding them I sold several to families with small children. Cool dogs, really cool.

There is a lady down the street that walks her Blue Heeler by my house. It is a very well behaved dog.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom