Lab Puppies Question (1 Viewer)

ridgeben

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Guys,
I am looking to get a Lab Puppy in the next few months. I have been looking at breeders websites and they are a good bit more expensive than I expected. I am seeing prices ranging from $750-$2000.

Does anyone on here know of anyone that is in that business in our area?

Rescue. No reason to purchase to a dog when there are plenty of rescues who could use a good home...

Both my dogs (lab and pug) are rescues and they are wonderful, obedient and well trained dogs.

I just bought one last week and paid $600 for him, but have seen some other dogs for less money.

But the difference between those dogs and mine is the pedigree, the AKC certification, the OFA certification, and the fact that he came from a private breeder who knows and loves the breed, not someone looking to make some bucks of their dog's uterus.

We paid $250 for our other lab in '98. He's been a great dog, but isn't an ideal lab due to his structure and coloring.

What are you looking to do with the dog? Companion animal, hunt, obedience trials, confirmation shows, etc?

Rescue is definitely a possibility if you're okay with dealing with the rescue org's stipulations. I wasn't.

Rescue. No reason to purchase to a dog when there are plenty of rescues who could use a good home...

Both my dogs (lab and pug) are rescues and they are wonderful, obedient and well trained dogs.

he is correct -- I think resuce dogs are the way to go -- make great dogs -- just do not judge them immediately -- it takes a little time for them to realize they are in a loving home with regular food -- therefore they have some adjustment problems - like me last dog Arrow -- would shy away from me and didnt seem very loveable -- and used to hide food around the house -- took a while for her to realize that she would be fed regularly and didnt have to hide some in reserve -- my latest rescude dog, Lucky Dog, craves attention -- she is calming down now but needs to be reassured all of the time. But boy do rescue dogs show love and affection --

Its a companionship thing. We have a 2 year old son that we want a puppy to grow up with. We also lost one of our two dogs about a year ago, so we have a lonely dog at the house.

I would find a rescue you will be amazed what you can find. We found a place out in south west MO. Were a lady recuses puppies from bredders. These pups are being put to sleep for small imperfections. We picked up a mini schnuzer and she would of been put to sleep since she is black, and she has a small whit patch on her head. It was 200 bucks for the dog and she came spayed already. It was well worth thr drive

As someone already stated, if you are looking for a companion dog, don't worry about field trial championships, best in show awards etc. Your best bet is to find a breeder that has a good to excellent OFA certification on the sire and the female.

Hips are a tremendous issue within the Labrador breed, and hip dysplasia can be a horrible ordeal to go through, for you and the dog.

If you need some breeder information, I can get the names and numbers of reputible breeders in the area, maybe not Baton Rouge, but more than likely in the Louisiana area, just shoot me a PM. My wife knows most of the reputible breeders in the area, and some to avoid.

As for rescue dogs, some rescue organizations are better than others. I always try to steer people in that direction, but puppies in rescue orgs are harder to come by. I can also give you a few local rescue organizations that are pretty easy to deal with should you decide to go in that direction.

By the way, when I say local, it's SE Louisiana, not just the St Tammany Parish area.

I have a yellow Lab myself, and he's been one of the greatest dogs I have ever owned. He's a 90 pound lap dog. He loves kids, cats, ferrets, chameleons you name it. He doesn't care for the stranger in a ski mask, but that is an ideal quality. :D

Its a companionship thing. We have a 2 year old son that we want a puppy to grow up with. We also lost one of our two dogs about a year ago, so we have a lonely dog at the house.

They have puppies at the pound, its cheaper, and you'll save a dog's life.

Make regular trips by your local SPCAs and animal shelters. Last time I stopped by our local one here to donate some food and supplies, they had this 8 week old black lab/rhodesian ridgeback puppy that was just awesome. Had mostly lab features and disposition but with that trademark ridge right down the back. Beautiful pup. Took everything I had to not take him home, but the one I've got has me fully occupied.

Check petfinder, even craigslist. Granted on the latter you have to wade through a lot of listings of people trying to make a buck at your expense, but that's how we ended up with our dog. A guy locally here had an accidental (truly) litter of Lab puppies and was looking for good homes for all of them. Great dog.

Make regular trips by your local SPCAs and animal shelters. Last time I stopped by our local one here to donate some food and supplies, they had this 8 week old black lab/rhodesian ridgeback puppy that was just awesome. Had mostly lab features and disposition but with that trademark ridge right down the back. Beautiful pup. Took everything I had to not take him home, but the one I've got has me fully occupied.

Check petfinder, even craigslist. Granted on the latter you have to wade through a lot of listings of people trying to make a buck at your expense, but that's how we ended up with our dog. A guy locally here had an accidental (truly) litter of Lab puppies and was looking for good homes for all of them. Great dog.

Good idea. I will see what is out there..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom