Lab Puppies Question (1 Viewer)

Looking for a hunting dog? If so, this guy has some great dogs, not cheap; however, great hunting breeds.....

and it's where I had my two trained.....

http://www.wonderlabskennel.com/

Last edited:
I can recommend Huntfield Labs in Mississippi, especially if you want a British or fox red lab. They aren't cheaper than your quoted range though.

Like zenshin said, go with a breeder with health guarantees or at least certifications. That and consistent temperament are the major advantages over a rescue lab pet.

I can recommend Huntfield Labs in Mississippi, especially if you want a British or fox red lab. They aren't cheaper than your quoted range though.

Like zenshin said, go with a breeder with health guarantees or at least certifications. That and consistent temperament are the major advantages over a rescue lab pet.

Those are great looking dogs. They dont really say a cost, but I would imagine that they are not cheap...

I shot them an email to get some more information. I will see what they say.

i always thought they were bout 2-300 dollars
Me, too. Our yellow lab's father was a Champion and was being sold for $250. He had a fungus on his tail, so I took him home for $150 and on the way stopped and bought a bottle of Blue Star ointment.

It was the best dog I (we) ever had. Gentle with kids, loved to roughhouse when it called for it, never stopped fetching stuff, loved to swim, etc. He was very obedient, smart, etc. We went with a registered puppy because we wanted a dog to grow up with our daughter. We have since then taken in a couple adult dogs and after finding them good homes, decided that if we ever got another dog it would be a puppy. Adult dogs are set in their ways and we don't have the time necessary to teach them differently. Plus, you never know what you're getting health-wise either. I'd just as soon fork over the money at the beginning and know that the animal won't have a lot of heath issues.

If you're looking for a dog to show or hunt with, then you need to go to a breeder to get a registered dog that is bred with those things in mind. But you said you're not, so there are a couple of other routes you can go, all with pros and cons:

Shelter:
pros - you're saving a dog, and since shelters are pretty careful about screening the temperments of the dogs, you're likely getting a good companion. Dog will be spayed/neutered, and it's present health situation evaluated. Cost is low, and personal satisfaction of saving a dog is high.
cons - even with the behavior evaluations, they're watching the dog for only a brief period in one setting, and don't know about the history of this dog. A temperment problem may pop up later, which isn't a big deal for many, since they are prepared to deal with it, but for a family with a small child this is a BIG issue. Also, since the history of this dog isn't known, there is no way to know if there are genetic health issues with this dog, and chances are he/she is not well bred and the risks are great for hip problems, etc., popping up later. Without a family history on this dog, it's impossible to assess that risk factor. Another con is the fact that pups are harder to get; you'll likely get an adult -- which isn't a bad thing, really -- fewer unknowns with temperment and health issues, and no puppy teething issues.

Rescue:
pros - similar to above; saving a dog, and you've also got the benefit of working with people familiar with this breed, including breeders who give back their time to help their breed of choice. You'll be more assured that it's full blooded lab, since rescue groups are more attuned to what physical attributes to look for, and many rescue groups will provide more health screening tests that are applicable for that particular breed. These dogs are usually fostered and evaluated in private homes and not left in a shelter, which will give a better indication of the type of temperment you can expect.
cons - lots of requirements to go through to get a dog (which is actually a pro, IMO, since it shows that the group will NOT just place the dog with anyone). Also, there are the same risks as above in terms of an unknown genetic medical history; this is sometimes overcome, however, with the addition of some additional screening tests that some groups might do (such as hip x-rays). Pups, as with shelters, are harder to get since usually adults come into rescue.

Both of these will involve a fee, since medical care, spay/neuter, etc., cost money. But a dog from a breeder will cost more...and it should. You're paying for health screenings done on generations before this pup in order to make sure that the healthiest pups possible are produced; you're paying for the work and money put into showing and training dogs to do what they were bred to do and to be good physical specimins of the breed; you're paying for stud fees and expensive pre-natal care for the dam and for health checks and shots for the pups; you're paying for the time spent evaluating temperments, health records, pedigrees, etc., and the time socializing and training pups to make sure they are sound in body and mind. Not all pups bred will be a show or field prospect, and breeders will want to place these pups in good homes. They will screen even more than any shelter or rescue group, they'll want you to get the pup spayed or neutered at the right time since they're keeping only the best prospects from the litter to breed, and will want you to guarantee that if, for any reason, you cannot keep this dog at any time in its life, you will bring the dog back to them. These breeders don't make money; they do this for the love of their dogs and their hobby, but they do have to try to cover some costs, so these pups don't come cheap. But you do have much more assurance of what you're getting in terms of health, temperment, etc., and you will have the support of that breeder for years. I still keep in touch with families of pups I sold years ago.

Not everyone should get a dog from a shelter, and getting a dog from a breeder isn't the right choice for many others. Neither is the "right" or "wrong" way to get a dog, except as it pertains to YOU and YOUR situation. Evaluate what your needs and resources are, and go from there. Personally for you, I'd recommend rescue...lower cost, a bit lower risk, but with some support you'll likely get from the rescue group if you have problems (a good rescue group will welcome your questions and will want to follow up with you). I've worked in all these arenas (shelters, rescue, and as a breeder) so if you have any questions, let me know if I can help!

:)

Its a companionship thing. We have a 2 year old son that we want a puppy to grow up with. We also lost one of our two dogs about a year ago, so we have a lonely dog at the house.

I echo the rescue route. We found a boxer/lab puppy close to our house that was free and needed a home. When we looked we saw TONS of lab puppies listed.

Unless you plan on competing with the pup I don't see spending that much money.

http://www.petfinder.com/search/sea...mal=Dog&age=baby&preview=&zip=baton+rouge,+LA

Guys,
I am looking to get a Lab Puppy in the next few months. I have been looking at breeders websites and they are a good bit more expensive than I expected. I am seeing prices ranging from $750-$2000.

Does anyone on here know of anyone that is in that business in our area?

I know a couple that breeds choclate labs.

I do know they are about $1000 but it has to do with the lineage.

the resuce thing we did as well. We have a second Golden Retriever that appeared on our door step at about 1 yr old. We posted signs and checked with vets and such with no response. Turns out she had "bridle marks" on her jaw and our vet said that could be from a training mechanism and she didnt make the grade ( very rambunctious to this day ) and the owner may have just let her go. But she is a great dog.

Here are some located in New Roads that need a home.

Attachments

• LA178_14799448-1-x.jpg
    LA178_14799448-1-x.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 53
Damn Kevin, I'm glad my wife doesn't look at this site.......:hihi:

This one in Vicksburg needs a home Purvis...

Attachments

• MS89_14063995-1-pn.jpg
    MS89_14063995-1-pn.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 47

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom