Labrador Puppy (1 Viewer)

FLEA

Livin' the dream
Reaction score
I am looking to get back into duck and field hunting in the near future. I was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable Labrador breeder in the tri-state area. I don't want to break the bank on this but I am willing to spend a decent amount of money for a good line. I do not have a color preference but yellow would be my #1 choice. As is standard, I do expect any puppy to come with a guarantee for hips, eyes, elbows and anything deemed genetic in nature. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Flea, I can't help you now, but we decided last night that we will breed our pair again next spring. The line is good. This would be our fourth and last litter for our pair. I can provide you references for all of the previous litters, but again, I will not have puppies until next spring.

Flea, I can't help you now, but we decided last night that we will breed our pair again next spring. The line is good. This would be our fourth and last litter for our pair. I can provide you references for all of the previous litters, but again, I will not have puppies until next spring.

i have a 1 yr old female black lab im considering breeding, its something ive never done so not sure what is involved.

not wanting to make this a money making thing or anything and will research if any of the pups would be eligible for donation to those orgs who provide service dogs for veterans or other people of need.

my pup is akc and ukc registered with some championships by a grand parent

can you provide some info on what is involved in breeding and raising pups till they can be separated from the mother.

i know ill do the dew claws and there are some shots required - anything else?

Sorry to threadjack, Flea. Some of this may interest you, too. My male is black. Female is yellow. He will be 8 in July, 5 in May for her. She is in season in August and February. We watch for the tell-tell signs that she is coming into season and limit how much they are together. For her, she comes in a week. Spots a week, and then she is ready to bread about day 15 to 20. We let them be together those days. When we see that they have locked up, we mark the date. For the 3 previous litters, it was 63 days from the time they locked up to the time the puppies were born. I have a whelping box that I have made for her. About day 58 or so, we put the box together and let her adjust to being in it. It has rails around the sides to prevent the pups from being squished against the wall. Once the puppies are born and she is finished, we take the puppies and mother to our vet for inspection. He checks her to make sure she is done, then he checks the pups for cleft pallets, hips, and gives them a general once-over.

At three weeks, we take the puppies back to the vet for shots and worming. They go back to the vet at 6 weeks for more shots. We start our puppies on soft puppy food (hard food with warm water) at 3-4 weeks (when their needles/teeth start coming in). About 4 weeks, we start physically separating our pups from our female to ease the separation and to help wean them. At 6 weeks, they are good to go.

My pair are AKC registered. I have what amounts to 6 generation pedigrees for my pair, so once the pups are registered, the new owner could have 7 generations total. I provide the paperwork to the new owners and advise them to register their pups. I register the litters with AKC so all the new owner has to do is file it with AKC.

Sorry again, Flea. I hope you don't mind me posting this.

Hey Flea, this is where I had my dogs trained and the owner, Bart Posey, has a great reputation for really good dogs. Unfortunately, they don't come cheap, but like they say, you get what you pay for. He's right outside of Picayune...

WONDER LABS KENNEL

Hey Flea, this is where I had my dogs trained and the owner, Bart Posey, has a great reputation for really good dogs. Unfortunately, they don't come cheap, but like they say, you get what you pay for. He's right outside of Picayune...

WONDER LABS KENNEL

Thanks Flippy...I will shoot them an e-mail. I am in talks with 3 kennels right now, all have ENGLISH labs which is all I have ever owned; two are in Mississippi and one is in Nebraska. They all have great lines and all are in the same $$$. I like the english style of training when the time comes, I am not a force fetch kind of guy. English methods employ tasks the dog can easily achieve, then the tasks are gradually made more difficult. By training with this method, I usually end up with a dog that’s very happy to work as well as more consistent. Thanks for the info!!

Thanks Flippy...I will shoot them an e-mail. I am in talks with 3 kennels right now, all have ENGLISH labs which is all I have ever owned; two are in Mississippi and one is in Nebraska. They all have great lines and all are in the same $$$. I like the english style of training when the time comes, I am not a force fetch kind of guy. English methods employ tasks the dog can easily achieve, then the tasks are gradually made more difficult. By training with this method, I usually end up with a dog that’s very happy to work as well as more consistent. Thanks for the info!!

Great!!! Good luck with your choice.... Bart does use a force fetch method; however, he may use another as well.. My Maddie is 9 now and she still loves being in the swamp. I'll regret the day I have to retire her...

http://s642.photobucket.com/user/flippy688/media/IMG_0705.mp4.html

I'm right there with you, Flippy. The day Cooper can no longer be himself will be a sad day! The dog just loves the water and will retrieve all day long!

Great!!! Good luck with your choice.... Bart does use a force fetch method; however, he may use another as well.. My Maddie is 9 now and she still loves being in the swamp. I'll regret the day I have to retire her...

IMG_0705.mp4 Video by flippy688 | Photobucket

I'm right there with you, Flippy. The day Cooper can no longer be himself will be a sad day! The dog just loves the water and will retrieve all day long!

There is nothing better than watching a good dog work. I had a pair of brothers and they both worked until they were 10 or so. If they could have lived in the water they would have. They were also excellent field dogs too. They were my best friends and I miss them dearly. They both passed away within weeks of each other at the ripe ole age of 14. I can't wait to get this puppy and get him/her started. This just may be what the doctor ordered to get me moving again.

Sorry to threadjack, Flea. Some of this may interest you, too. My male is black. Female is yellow. He will be 8 in July, 5 in May for her. She is in season in August and February. We watch for the tell-tell signs that she is coming into season and limit how much they are together. For her, she comes in a week. Spots a week, and then she is ready to bread about day 15 to 20. We let them be together those days. When we see that they have locked up, we mark the date. For the 3 previous litters, it was 63 days from the time they locked up to the time the puppies were born. I have a whelping box that I have made for her. About day 58 or so, we put the box together and let her adjust to being in it. It has rails around the sides to prevent the pups from being squished against the wall. Once the puppies are born and she is finished, we take the puppies and mother to our vet for inspection. He checks her to make sure she is done, then he checks the pups for cleft pallets, hips, and gives them a general once-over.

At three weeks, we take the puppies back to the vet for shots and worming. They go back to the vet at 6 weeks for more shots. We start our puppies on soft puppy food (hard food with warm water) at 3-4 weeks (when their needles/teeth start coming in). About 4 weeks, we start physically separating our pups from our female to ease the separation and to help wean them. At 6 weeks, they are good to go.

My pair are AKC registered. I have what amounts to 6 generation pedigrees for my pair, so once the pups are registered, the new owner could have 7 generations total. I provide the paperwork to the new owners and advise them to register their pups. I register the litters with AKC so all the new owner has to do is file it with AKC.

Sorry again, Flea. I hope you don't mind me posting this.

Tony check out this article on vaccinations of puppies.....It throws everything you thought was correct, right out the window.
Limited Vaccine Protocol

You are right, Flea. This is somewhat what our vet follows. When I posted "shots and worming" at 3 weeks, it didn't seem right. I checked my records last night. They do get wormed at 3 weeks, but they get their first shots at 6 weeks to send to their new homes. I take care of that because some owners have failed to follow up with their shots. I did have a family that bought one of the first puppies we had that never got their PARVO shots. That puppy ended up contracting it and passing at 7 months old. I still think that was the prettiest chocolate pup that we have had.

I placed my deposit on a puppy today. The puppies should be born end of june or begining of july and can go home at 8 weeks. So I am looking at getting him/her in september. Here are pictures of her parents:
The-Boys~~element57.jpg
DREW

Trudy_Head_shot.jpg
TRUDY

This is a picture of a pup, DOTTIE from their first breeding 2 years ago.

Dottie~~element51.jpg

Those English "block heads" look great...... Those are some beautiful dogs... Hope your pup has those same qualities, even more in drive..

Here's a better close up of Maddie... She's getting more grey in her snout ....

71416409-a2ed-4dec-9b5f-c5b0f7d991d8.jpg
[/IMG]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom