Lack of Commercials During 1st Quarter (1 Viewer)

ClayT101

Tee Retriever
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that there were very few commercials during the first quarter yesterday? I could be wrong, but the first one that I distinctly remember was at the end of the quarter. I texted my friend with 2:40 left in the first quarter saying that there had been 0 commercials.

I thought about it and I think that I know the reason. The first game in our market was the game in London which went an entire overtime period. If you ever watch an overtime game, you will notice that there are 0 / very few commercial breaks.

My best guess is that in some complex legal contract between the networks and the NFL, that because our 1st game went into overtime, the game that they switched to (the Saints - Seahawks game in our market) had to use the same commercial breaks as the overtime game or something to that effect.

I really enjoyed it. I am sure that it will not happen again.

Yes. Definitely noticed it and it made the watching experience much better. It really does take away from the game watching a commercial, come back for the kick off, then back to commercial, then start of the drive.

I think they left some out because they were possibly running behind their tv schedule.

I sense the league wants to jam London down our throats and the double overtime game fit right in with GODdell's plans to internationalize the game. Technology allows for live look-ins in other sports, but much of America has to sit and wait for the Skins and Bengals to stop screwing up in order to watch the Saints? Nah, I don't think so.

All I know is that we lost 35 minutes of our own team's game time. Only silver lining there is that we indeed missed the worst part of the game, which was the Ingram fumble and subsequent gift TD.

I thought I was in the Twilight Zone, where there is still more content than commercials.

after the london game they were playing so many commercials while the game was going on! after that they finally put on the saints. i did noticed that there weren't many commercials after that though. i wonder if that had any affect

I am pretty sure that it went back to normal after the 1st quarter. That is why I think that the timing of the overtime game was taken into effect.

I am pretty sure that it went back to normal after the 1st quarter. That is why I think that the timing of the overtime game was taken into effect.

Makes sense from a master control standpoint, they need to not bump into "Game of the week". Considering there is only about 11 minutes of action in an NFL broadcast they had a lot of time to play with. Still pretty pleasant though.

IMO, they are trying to keep the viewers from leaving the action, but they seem to make up for the adds later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom