lack of pass rush QUESTION (1 Viewer)

head trauma

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Could the failure to getting to the other teams QB be that we only have one dimensional bull rushing defensive ends? Not having any speed rushers to set the edge could be the reason there not getting any sacks. I love Cam Jordan but he's not a speed rusher and most of his sacks were due to good coverage.

that, and taking the 1 or 2 players that can get to the qb and putting them into coverage most of the time.

To piggyback, did anyone notice if we ran a lot of stunts? Seems like we just tried to mainly rush 4 and hope they get home.

But my memory wasn't the best due to many adult beverages, so maybe they did run a lot of stunts?

It was one game against what was a top 5 OL. I realize they had injuries and had to move a guard to T, but think of it this way. What if we had to move Nicks to T back when we had him. Would we not still expect the OL to perform well because their ceiling was so high?

Kruger has barely been here a week. Edebli barely played (that should change). Jordan is a streaky player.

It's not a good pass rush, but it will have it's moments. You can't delineate trends based on Week 1. Weeks 1 and 2 are often mirages. So we could actually be not nearly as good on offense as we looked, for example. Or our defense may not be as bad as it looked. It can work both ways.

I was thinking something along the lines of this earlier. Our 2 best pass rushers in Jordan and Kruger are power guys with a relentless nature. I feel we should kick them inside on obvious passing downs and bring in Gwachum (who was inactive) along with Edebali. Either way we need to find some solution to the pass rush. Oakland has been stockpiling OL talent so I can't blame these guys for not getting a consistent pass rush but they were getting dominated out there. At least the run defense held strong for the most part.

I was thinking something along the lines of this earlier. Our 2 best pass rushers in Jordan and Kruger are power guys with a relentless nature. I feel we should kick them inside on obvious passing downs and bring in Gwachum (who was inactive) along with Edebali. Either way we need to find some solution to the pass rush. Oakland has been stockpiling OL talent so I can't blame these guys for not getting a consistent pass rush but they were getting dominated out there. At least the run defense held strong for the most part.

I think so too. Move Jordan inside by Fairley. Then bring in Edebali.

That would be our 4 best pass rushers on the field for 3rd downs. Power on the inside, speed on the edges.

I was thinking something along the lines of this earlier. Our 2 best pass rushers in Jordan and Kruger are power guys with a relentless nature. I feel we should kick them inside on obvious passing downs and bring in Gwachum (who was inactive) along with Edebali. Either way we need to find some solution to the pass rush.
This.

Could the failure to getting to the other teams QB be that we only have one dimensional bull rushing defensive ends? Not having any speed rushers to set the edge could be the reason there not getting any sacks. I love Cam Jordan but he's not a speed rusher and most of his sacks were due to good coverage.
Gwacham, Obum but the coverage was bad by the rookies, I was at the game and could see the whole field and they were loose and somewhat lost the WR behind them at times

I think it is all part of a process. You can't isolate the pass rush from the run defence. First, you contain and from there, you press from the outside. I was optimistic on the first half because for the first time in 3 years we saw gang-tackling on the run game. I did like the game of Davison, Fairley and Jenkins. Even Onyematta was trying to press from the middle.

To have control of the middle of the line will need more time, and help from the linebackers, but when we start controlling better the run defence then I think we will see improvements on the pass rush.

It will take time, but I think the path is correct.

Jordan is not the problem, we need production from the other DE spot. I think Edebali is currently our best pass rushing option opposite Jordan and would like to see him get more snaps.

The steelers play some type of 3-3-5. I beleive this will work at getting our best players on the field with Vaccaro playing at the line of scrimmage in that joker role jamming receivers, bell and bird playing safety and I'll best linebackers out there.

The steelers play some type of 3-3-5. I beleive this will work at getting our best players on the field with Vaccaro playing at the line of scrimmage in that joker role jamming receivers, bell and bird playing safety and I'll best linebackers out there.

The Steelers can get pressure on the QB with just those 3 people. That's why that works so well.

Seems regardless of the players and the DC we still see the same issues , granted we need to see more than one game but the difference in dline play from preseason and the first game was big

Saints defensive line got better pressure than the Raiders defensive line. Just sayin'.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom