Lack of run game almost costs us a 21pt lead (2 Viewers)

Untimely penalties also did not help us one bit either.

If you run empty sets most of the game, the run game does little to fool defenses. May as well not even have RB's. I like the "I" or deep single sets, the defense never knows what the play is going to be. Ingram excels out of the I or single deep set.

It just depends on your philosophy. Do you start running and chew clock even though we aren't getting much from the run game? Or do you continue to air it out and try to extend the lead while feasting on their injured and inexperienced secondary?

How about mixing in the run with the pass to keep the D honest and GUESSING what is coming next.

Well we were trying to run the ball some at the expense of punting. I guess we have to hope for a defense that bails out Payton because he's not going to not use Hill, Cadet, and all kinds of players outside of the big four. This is what we have to deal with. We are almost always in 3rd downs and having to convert. The offense runs like gambling. You win some and lose some.

The offense put up for 41 points today and you think you can do better. Pathetic.

We put up three TDs in four possessions and then............

Punt
FG
Punt
TD
Punt
Missed FG
TD
Punt
FG

One TD in six possessions. One FG is six possessions. Two scoring drives out of six.

The reason game stayed close was the drop by Lewis on 3rd down and Thomas 20 yard catch on 3rd and 15 was called back cause for some reason the saints left tackle ran 10 yard downfield for some unkown reason.

I generally agree with the idea that we're too quick to abandon the run and have been pretty much since Sean has been here bar a few exceptions. That being said, we weren't getting very much at all from the run today and were passing on them almost at will. Sure it's dangerous and Drew's pick gave them a lifeline but I'm not sure running the ball into that wall would've done any better. Wasn't Ingram's best day when playing either (though as I said a lot of that had to do with there not generally being anywhere to go), one of my friends mentioned he was sick but I'm not sure if that's true.

Carolina is the 4th ranked rushing defense. It's literally the only thing they are really good at.

If we go run heavy in the 2nd half, you are just running into 3 and outs. Ingram was only averaging 3 yards a carry. Staying aggressive and tiring their defense out was the right move. And we ended up scoring 20 more points in the 2nd half.

Exactly. Add to that, Ingram missed some opportunities for big runs or better runs by missing some lanes. His vision is questionable sometimes.

If you run empty sets most of the game, the run game does little to fool defenses. May as well not even have RB's. I like the "I" or deep single sets, the defense never knows what the play is going to be. Ingram excels out of the I or single deep set.

LB is a strength of Carr - DBs not so much
Empty sets keeps them in Dime or pits an LB in coverage if they're in Nickle

It just depends on your philosophy. Do you start running and chew clock even though we aren't getting much from the run game? Or do you continue to air it out and try to extend the lead while feasting on their injured and inexperienced secondary?
It had nothing to do with philosophy yesterday. It had to do with a mediocre-at-best back in Ingram who doesn't see cut back lanes when they present themselves and a lack of push by the O line on too many plays.

They don't run enough to get into a rythm, but I would rather the pass.

It had nothing to do with philosophy yesterday. It had to do with a mediocre-at-best back in Ingram who doesn't see cut back lanes when they present themselves and a lack of push by the O line on too many plays.

Yup the mediocre at best back that helps pass protect for Brees helping to keep him the least pressured QB in the league, the mediocre at best back which drew the Panthers best LB to cover him leaving the middle open for a TD. More to a successful back than yards up the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom