Lack of run game almost costs us a 21pt lead (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanatic

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Normally the consensus excuse for not running the ball is that we are down several scores so run game goes out the window.

Well, with a 21-0 lead it went out the window yet again and almost cost us the game.

I guess after 10+ years it won't change.

*paging blackadder*

Yup. No even legit attempts at running to burn clock. Drew was on fire, so I get the confidence, but dang that was stressful.

It just depends on your philosophy. Do you start running and chew clock even though we aren't getting much from the run game? Or do you continue to air it out and try to extend the lead while feasting on their injured and inexperienced secondary?

SaintsFanatic, I TOTALLY agree with you on this...I still feel that's why we lost to the Raiders even though that was because of lack of attempts in the 2nd Half. When you're up 21 points at home, you must be able to run the ball and keep you defense fresh to preserve the game. Instead the over reliance of the pass game led to a turnover that put Carolina in position to potentially steal the game.

It just depends on your philosophy. Do you start running and chew clock even though we aren't getting much from the run game? Or do you continue to air it out and try to extend the lead while feasting on their injured and inexperienced secondary?

Yeah pretty much this. The Panthers have a secondary full of guys who weren't great college players (not unlike the Saints at the moment, TBH). The Panthers front 7 is still pretty damn solid. Throw in the fact that our OL seems to be better at pass protection than run blocking. I'll roll the dice throwing the ball. That's just situational football.

Carolina is the 4th ranked rushing defense. It's literally the only thing they are really good at.

If we go run heavy in the 2nd half, you are just running into 3 and outs. Ingram was only averaging 3 yards a carry. Staying aggressive and tiring their defense out was the right move. And we ended up scoring 20 more points in the 2nd half.

Our offensive productivity is obscene. We score enough points to win two games every sunday. If we could run more then it'd most likely come at the expense of points.

Our defense, bless their heart, is doing all it can do but we need to address it if we want to come out on the winning end more often.

Don't they have 2 really solid defensive tackles, probably the best middle linebacker in the game, and another pro bowl linebacker? Meanwhile their secondary is atrocious. It seems reasonable we'd struggle running it behind Evans, Kelemete, and Hills.

don't let philosophies get in the way of game planning
we've seen a few times that we've gone to heavy run calling with a big lead only to give up that lead quickly
you take what the team gives you and Carr was giving us the air
plus i assume they ran a lot of empty backfields to negate the LBs

Carolina is the 4th ranked rushing defense. It's literally the only thing they are really good at.

If we go run heavy in the 2nd half, you are just running into 3 and outs. Ingram was only averaging 3 yards a carry. Those TDs we scored in the 2nd half were key and they wouldn't of happened running into that wall just trying to burn clock.
We tried to build a rushing attack out the gate in the second and immediately went 3 and out. Panther came back and scored to make it a 7 point game. You do what you do best. Rushing the ball is only effective when you can convert on it. Otherwise, I will always put the ball in the hands of my HOF QB. We don't win if force the run. We would of blown the lead and the game.

It's funny. The knock on our OGs coming into the season was that they are awful at pass blocking but great at run blocking. What a difference an Evans makes.

We also had Hills in.

If we go run heavy in the 2nd half, you are just running into 3 and outs. Ingram was only averaging 3 yards a carry. Those TDs we scored in the 2nd half were key and they wouldn't of happened running into that wall just trying to burn clock.

VERY good point.

Agree that we need a running game to burn clock but when the secondary is their weakest link you need to keep airing it out especially since their run defense is their strength. THis lack of run game needs to be fixed but not the right call in this game.

Normally the consensus excuse for not running the ball is that we are down several scores so run game goes out the window.

Well, with a 21-0 lead it went out the window yet again and almost cost us the game.

I guess after 10+ years it won't change.

*paging blackadder*
old dogs find it really hard to pick up new tricks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom