Lakeshore Drive (1 Viewer)

Decades-old Lakeshore Drive weekend motorist ban lifted | wwltv.com New Orleans

edit:
yea, I had to read back through this and unless they mean it will open after the 90 days to come up with a long term plan, there is no mention of when it will actually open. I was out there last night between 9:00pm and Midnight and it was closed everywhere. From Landrys all the way to UNO - both directions.

Slightly off-topic, but one of the regular practices has been to close it at night due to lack of lighting. A couple weekends ago, the barrels were moved and a few brave souls wandered into the darkness along the Lakefront. It was definitely one of the more enjoyable rides I've had in this city - like you weren't supposed to be there but were damn glad you were.

we've been moving the barrels by the seabrook boat launch for the past few years too. night fishing at the seabrook bridge and the "hole" has been a yearly thing for me since i was able to hold a pole, but even after the free launch got rebuilt, they kept putting the barrels out at dark for some reason. if you launch before dark, they dont run you off or leave a citation on your car. so i dont understand why i can pick my boat up from that launch after dark, but cant drop it in. the launch and parking lot are very well lit.

hopefully now that lakeshore drive is reopening on the weekends, the barrels will be moved by the launch too.

we've been moving the barrels by the seabrook boat launch for the past few years too. night fishing at the seabrook bridge and the "hole" has been a yearly thing for me since i was able to hold a pole, but even after the free launch got rebuilt, they kept putting the barrels out at dark for some reason. if you launch before dark, they dont run you off or leave a citation on your car. so i dont understand why i can pick my boat up from that launch after dark, but cant drop it in. the launch and parking lot are very well lit.

hopefully now that lakeshore drive is reopening on the weekends, the barrels will be moved by the launch too.

I suspect that is a legal liability issue. If they put the barrels up they are "closing" the launch after dark when it would be dangerous to use. Arguably when you choose to move the barrels, you are assuming the risks and dangers associated with landing or launching a boat at night. As far as tickets, that's likely just an issue of the discretion of the enforcement people. Although, to really protect the City/Levee Board, they ought to have a better way of closing that launch at night.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom