Lakeshore Drive (1 Viewer)

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
What's going on with it. I drove out there yesterday and it looks like crap! The shelters are in disrepair and and much of it is muddy and bare of grass. This used to be one of the nicest areas of town. To make it worse it's closed from Shelter 1 to Marconi Dr. In other words the part that people used to go to to picnic, fish and just take generally enjoy the lake. The construction project that was the original excuse was supposedly 90% finished in 2010.

Lakeshore Dr was once named one of the 10 most beautiful places in the country to watch the sunset. Now the police come and run you off from the limited areas that you're allowed to be just before sunset. They've basically taken it away from the public and made a private park for the people who live out there. How did this happen and why isn't there a public outrage over this elitist BS?

I guess if you're under 40 you don't remember what it was like to go out there on the weekend and enjoy what was once one of the best places in the region to spend the day. It's sickening to think that a privileged few have been able to use their influence to steal Lakeshore Dr from the general public.

closed1.jpg

MG]

The Lakefront and the lake, the most unutilized natural resource in the world....

The city leaders should be ashamed of themselves....

The rich people who live in the area don't want certain other people out there with their boopin' and their boppin' and zip zop zoobity bop.

I guess if you're under 40 you don't remember what it was like to go out there on the weekend and enjoy what was once one of the best places in the region to spend the day. It's sickening to think that a privileged few have been able to use their influence to steal Lakeshore Dr from the general public.

closed1.jpg

MG]

Weekends, weeknights, weekday mornings. Used to spend a lot of time there in the early 80s.

I have a lot of nostalgic older memories of spending Saturdays there with my Dad and his friends just barbecuing, picnicking , throwing frisbees and flying kites (I'm just barely under 40, and this was in the late 1970s). . It's one of those types of memories that seems so hazy and perfect, and I hadn't thought about it in a long time but for a couple of years it seems like we were out there just about every weekend.. As far as NOLA childhood memories go, it's right up there with MG parades on Veterans Blvd, nights at Pontchartrain Beach and Al Copelands house at Christmas.

I have a hard time going there the last few years. makes me remember the days of being 18 and working for domino's on lake ave. would spend half the night driving past the lake. it just isn't the same anymore.

Overreact much? Lakeshore is open sometimes and closed sometimes, dependent on whether water has flooded over the seawall leaving mud on the road or whether construction is going on. People jog, fish, crab, bike and walk out there all the time. On weekends, usually the barricades are on one side so cars can drive on one side and runners, walkers, bikers can ride on the other. When it is open, it is open to all. So please keep that anti- Lakeview crap outta here.

The submarine races are postponed because of the Sequester. No reason to go if no races.

Overreact much? Lakeshore is open sometimes and closed sometimes, dependent on whether water has flooded over the seawall leaving mud on the road or whether construction is going on. People jog, fish, crab, bike and walk out there all the time. On weekends, usually the barricades are on one side so cars can drive on one side and runners, walkers, bikers can ride on the other. When it is open, it is open to all. So please keep that anti- Lakeview crap outta here.

:cheer:

The Lakefront and the lake, the most unutilized natural resource in the world....

The city leaders should be ashamed of themselves....

Especially compared to when you see what's done with the Great Lakes as far as recreation and beautification (especially Chicago and Toronto).

It's depressing.

Do they still have the low-rider truck, 20inch rims, and big car speaker shows on the weekends?

Joking aside - use to fish off the Marconi bridge. On windy days with good wave action, we'd sit on the steps and cool off in the splashing water -we never went too low, cause the bottom steps were slippery with algae and if you fell in, you'd get trap under the steps.

Also on more eastern part of Lakeshore @ Windsor and Robet E.Lee (before going over bridge). We use to slide down the hills on large pieces of cardboard. Also up over the hill there were playgrounds - I distincly remember a traditional see-saw. None of this new fake playground stuff - but a real metal seesaw - one person goes up:eek:ne person goes down.

Good times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom