Lakeshore Drive (1 Viewer)

Joking aside - use to fish off the Marconi bridge. On windy days with good wave action, we'd sit on the steps and cool off in the splashing water -we never went too low, caus thl were slippery with algae and if you fell in, you'd get trap under the steps.

Also on more eastern part of Lakeshore @ Windsor and Robet E.Lee (before going over bridge). We use to slide down the hills on large pieces of cardboard. Also up over the hill there were playgrounds - I distincly remember a traditional see-saw. None of this new fake playground stuff - but a real metal seesaw - one person goes up:eek:ne person goes down.

Good times.

We call those 'hills' levees down here.:9:

I don't know about having to be over 40 to remember the lake being nice... The lake was great until Katrina happened and the city hasn't even brought it back to that level in the 7-8yrs since. Eating crawfish, drinking daiquiris, just enjoying life in New Orleans. The major side is still open on weekends, just what use to be called "the black side" isn't open. You have to go on a bike or by foot and you can't stay too l

I don't know about having to be over 40 to remember the lake being nice... The lake was great until Katrina happened and the city hasn't even brought it back to that level in the 7-8yrs since. Eating crawfish, drinking daiquiris, just enjoying life in New Orleans. The major side is still open on weekends, just what use to be called "the black side" isn't open. You have to go on a bike or by foot and you can't stay too l

It's not the city. IIRC, the Lake, and the Levee Board for that matter, is a state-run entity that allows the city to name some officials to it. Baton Rouge is to blame, not City Hall.

miss the boat races

I think the boat races moved to Laketown Kenner along with Coconut Beach. As for lakeshore drive, I remember the ticket nazi levee board was always out there mornings(Usually Monday&Friday's) when I would go to UNO. I always went below speed limit and would get a good laugh when drivers would blow right past me only to get busted.

I graduated a year ago from UNO, and we would receive emails about it being closed due to upgrades, like putting in new grass and upgrading the shelters. Though it shouldnt take that long, but all I can say is classic government.

I am not from NOLA so excuse the dumb question but how far is that from the Super Dome? Looks like that would be an awesome tail gating area if the dome would be closer to it.

I am not from NOLA so excuse the dumb question but how far is that from the Super Dome? Looks like that would be an awesome tail gating area if the dome would be closer to it.

6.7 miles according to google maps.

Way too far....

Anyone remember Teake (sp) Beach....on the lakefront....that was the place to hangout in the early 70's...spent many weekends cruising that strip.....

I have long suspected this to be the case. There is a lot of political pull in those houses across the levee.

Especially if Kristin Palmer(City council) represents that area. You may remember she and her rich folks threw a hissy over Drew Brees opening a sandwich shop uptown.

Especially if Kristin Palmer(City council) represents that area. You may remember she and her rich folks threw a hissy over Drew Brees opening a sandwich shop uptown.

Kristin Palmer does not represent uptown. Her District "C" includes the Quarter, Marigny, Bywater and Algiers.

Susan Guidry represents the area around most of the Lakeshore Drive area discussed and the university section of Uptown (District "A"). She"s also the one that tried to kill the Tulane Stadium with a moratorium.

Attachments

• CityWideblueprint.jpg
    CityWideblueprint.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom