Lakeview (1 Viewer)

built on silt?

Sewerage and Water Board hasnt changed a pipe around there since the start of the 20th Century?

1) Because it was build on re-claimed swamp land.

2) They can't just re-pave the streets because if they do it will brake the really old pipes under the streets and the Sewerage and Water Board does not have the money to fix the pipes.

3) Sewerage and Water Board cuts holes in the streets to fix those old pipes piece meal and they under fill the holes that they dig. That results in a pot hole.

1) Because it was build on re-claimed swamp land.

2) They can't just re-pave the streets because if they do it will brake the really old pipes under the streets and the Sewerage and Water Board does not have the money to fix the pipes.

3) Sewerage and Water Board cuts holes in the streets to fix those old pipes piece meal and they under fill the holes that they dig. That results in a pot hole.

and to kinda give an example of HOW OLD....

the pipes are "terra cotta" - used in the early 1900s.

still used today, but the life of these pipes are generally 40 years or so. Soooooo....that would be 2 life spans overdue ....lol

Funny because most thought Katrina would prompt a complete restoration/update.

Last time I was down there I saw the area was coming back, and that Fleur De Lis looked partially paved, but Bel Air and side streets still looked like bull kaka. You would think that as much tax money that comes out of that area they would return the favor and fix the streets. I can't imagine how many times people have to get new tires driving through that place.

Last time I was down there I saw the area was coming back, and that Fleur De Lis looked partially paved, but Bel Air and side streets still looked like bull kaka. You would think that as much tax money that comes out of that area they would return the favor and fix the streets. I can't imagine how many times people have to get new tires driving through that place.

The problem is that as I said, the Sewerage & Water Board has to have the money to fix the pipes before they can re-pave the streets and they notoriously wastes money (illegally?). So, they don't have the money to fix the pipes. And given the many other things the City has to spend money on, Police and Fire Protection, drainage pumps, etc., etc. they can't afford to pay for the pipes to get fixed.

and shocks/struts, tire alignments, new rims and on and on.

At some point, the folks in Lakeview will realize the $$$$ in property tax they are paying is getting spent everywhere BUT there.

Until then, they will continue to call it home, like its some sort of badge of honor to pay the obscene taxes on obscene property values, when the true value of living in that area is severely dented by the street issue alone.

It still is "lakeview" ...but not what i remember in the early/mid 80s.

and shocks/struts, tire alignments, new rims and on and on.

At some point, the folks in Lakeview will realize the $$$$ in property tax they are paying is getting spent everywhere BUT there.

Until then, they will continue to call it home, like its some sort of badge of honor to pay the obscene taxes on obscene property values, when the true value of living in that area is severely dented by the street issue alone.

It still is "lakeview" ...but not what i remember in the early/mid 80s.

Meh, the property taxes in New Orleans and the State of Louisiana are vastly lower than anywhere in the country. Which is part of the reason the City has no money to pay for road repairs and other things. Combine that with a terrible economy, and the resulting terrible tax base, years of corruption, and the City has very little money to do anything.

The sales taxes collected in Orleans Parish simply aren't enough to pay for all the things that need to be paid for. And most of that is because of the white flight that started when desegragation started. So many people now work in New Orleans and then take the money they earned there to spend on the North Shore and Jefferson Parish that the City has little money to fix the things that need to be fixed.

and to kinda give an example of HOW OLD....

the pipes are "terra cotta" - used in the early 1900s.

still used today, but the life of these pipes are generally 40 years or so. Soooooo....that would be 2 life spans overdue ....lol

Funny because most thought Katrina would prompt a complete restoration/update.

They used terra-cotta sewer lines in the 60's.....:hihi:

Meh, the property taxes in New Orleans and the State of Louisiana are vastly lower than anywhere in the country. Which is part of the reason the City has no money to pay for road repairs and other things. Combine that with a terrible economy, and the resulting terrible tax base, years of corruption, and the City has very little money to do anything.

The sales taxes collected in Orleans Parish simply aren't enough to pay for all the things that need to be paid for. And most of that is because of the white flight that started when desegragation started. So many people now work in New Orleans and then take the money they earned there to spend on the North Shore and Jefferson Parish that the City has little money to fix the things that need to be fixed.

qft.

if it werent for the condition of the streets, my wife and i would love to be in lakeview. closer to City Park/Lakefront area.

But we have friends that currently live there and when we go visit, literally, im checking the undercarriage of our vehicle every time. Ive scraped my suspension because the "crown" in the street was soo bad ( Bragg and Diaz iirc ).

But its almost as if the "streets" are getting slowly "woven" into the fabric of Lakeview; becoming part of the "culture "of Lakeview.

We realized it a long time ago.

The roads will never get fixed, and the property taxes will continue to rise.

The only option is to get out, and that is being considered by many.

The streets there can't just be repaved or resurfaced because they are completely broken. They need to be totally reconstructed, including all of the utilities beneath the streets. Based on what it cost fir past contracts for streets which have been reconstructed like Fleur de Lis you're probably looking at around half a million dollars per block. Multiply that by the number of blocks of streets which need that across Lakeview and the rest of the city and it's pretty easy to figure out why it can't be done.

. . ., and the property taxes will continue to rise.

You mean that the Assessors Office is finally starting to tax property in the City for what it is really worth instead of artificially lowering the value of property so that they can get re-elected.

It's funny, post Katrina everyone was yelling for a single Assessrs Office so we could end the corrupt evaluations that were being give to City property that was depriving the City of much needed tax revenue. Now that we have one Assessor and property is starting to be properly valued, people are crying that their property taxes are too high.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom