NFL Lamar Jackson named the NFL MVP for 2019 (1 Viewer)

Cool story bro
But it's true though, isn't it? Look at the examples he provided, they come in and surprise the league then they flame out quickly. I agree, they have a window to win a superbowl and it closes quickly. If they don't win in the first 5 years, they won't ever win one with that style of play. Heck, look at what the Titans did to Lamar and his Ravens in the playoffs. Dude couldn't do diddly squat

But it's true though, isn't it? Look at the examples he provided, they come in and surprise the league then they flame out quickly. I agree, they have a window to win a superbowl and it closes quickly. If they don't win in the first 5 years, they won't ever win one with that style of play. Heck, look at what the Titans did to Lamar and his Ravens in the playoffs. Dude couldn't do diddly squat
Problem is this is a myopic take
You could say this about 97% of QBs whether they’re scramblers or not
Andrew Luck flamed out, he’s no scrambler
Garropolo and Lamar are probably going to have a similar career arc and it’s not bc they’re similar QBs

Problem is this is a myopic take
You could say this about 97% of QBs whether they’re scramblers or not
Andrew Luck flamed out, he’s no scrambler
Garropolo and Lamar are probably going to have a similar career arc and it’s not bc they’re similar QBs
Well, your problem started when you mentioned non-scrambling QBs. The entire subject matter of my post was for scrambling/running first QBs. So myopic that my friend, lol

Heck, look at what the Titans did to Lamar and his Ravens in the playoffs. Dude couldn't do diddly squat

He had 500 yards of offense. It wasn't his best game, but it wasn't that bad. His performance in that loss was a better performance than any of Garrapolo or Tannehill's playoff performances this year. It's also his first year as a starting QB in the NFL. He is 23 years old.

Vick had what, 7-8 productive seasons and missed two years due to the dogfighting thing. His career was fantastic and he's a borderline hall of famer.

Cam is the only example you provided where your "five year" thing applies.

Well, your problem started when you mentioned non-scrambling QBs. The entire subject matter of my post was for scrambling/running first QBs. So myopic that my friend, lol
Yes, opinion without context is typically myopic
If your statement about running QBs is true for all QBs, then wha does it matter if you single out scramblers?

Just to circle back on the "running QB" thing. Here are the top NFL QBs in terms of highest single season rushing totals, in an attempt to isolate "running QBs"

Lamar Jackson - NFL MVP, career in progress
Mike Vick - Probable hall of famer
Randall Cunningham - Very good player and career
Russell Wilson - Extraordinary player
RG3 - Injuries, we'll never know
Steve McNair - Very good player and career
Tim Tebow - lol
Colin Kaepernick - Couple of good years but disappointing career arc
Cam Newton - NFL MVP, short, but excellent career peak
Josh Allen - TBD
Donovan McNabb - Very good player and career

Excluding the guys who are early-career, all but three of these (Kaep, Tebow, RG3) had excellent careers, and RG3 looked great until injuries. So this myth that "running QBs can't have good careers" is just that - an absolute myth.

PS If you go a few spots further down you'll see guys like Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Deshaun Watson, and Alex Smith.

Just to circle back on the "running QB" thing. Here are the top NFL QBs in terms of highest single season rushing totals, in an attempt to isolate "running QBs"

Lamar Jackson - NFL MVP, career in progress
Mike Vick - Probable hall of famer
Randall Cunningham - Very good player and career
Russell Wilson - Extraordinary player
RG3 - Injuries, we'll never know
Steve McNair - Very good player and career
Tim Tebow - lol
Colin Kaepernick - Couple of good years but disappointing career arc
Cam Newton - NFL MVP, short, but excellent career peak
Josh Allen - TBD
Donovan McNabb - Very good player and career

Excluding the guys who are early-career, all but three of these (Kaep, Tebow, RG3) had excellent careers, and RG3 looked great until injuries. So this myth that "running QBs can't have good careers" is just that - an absolute myth.

PS If you go a few spots further down you'll see guys like Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Deshaun Watson, and Alex Smith.

I’m going to pushback just a little.

There is a difference between a running QB and a QB who can run. The Russell Wilson’s, Steve Young’s, Donovan McNabb’s of the world are qb’s who prefer to throw the ball, but take off when lanes open. They may even do the occasional qb designed run, but their sprinting ability is a tool and not the main feature.

The Kaep’s, Jackson’s, Vick’s and Tebow’s are wired to run first and throw as a back up option. Their default set is to take off and not sit in a pocket. Those types of players do risk injury at a higher rate.

Though Vick had a long career, he spent a good portion of it being mediocre as well because once defenses could neutralize him, his inaccuracy doomed his game. It’s the same with Kaep. And likely will be the same with Jackson if he doesn’t learn to throw with more accuracy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom