N/S Lamar Jackson Requested A Trade On March 2nd (1 Viewer)

The only thing I see saving him is playing on an MVP level under the franchise tag. His window is closing by the month

What is so hard to understand about teams not wanting to be the 2nd team to give in to a guaranteed contract contract demand.

BTW...........I think the league MVP talk about Lamar is a bit over blown.

Lamar Jackson = 1 MVP
Matt Ryan = 1 MVP
Cam Newton = 1 MVP

Drew Brees = -0- MVP (he did however, win super bowl MVP)

Last edited:
What is so hard to understand about teams not wanting to be the 2nd team to give in to a guaranteed contract contract demand.

BTW...........I think the league MVP talk about Lamar is a bit over blown.

Lamar Jackson = 1 MVP
Matt Ryan = 1 MVP
Cam Newton = 1 MVP

Drew Brees = -0- MVP (he did however, super bowl MVP)
The number of players with a unanimous MVP is 2: Brady and Lamar. Just because Drew didn't win, one doesn't undercut the award being a significant accomplishment.

The number of players with a unanimous MVP is 2: Brady and Lamar. Just because Drew didn't win, one doesn't undercut the award being a significant accomplishment.
One has 7 super bowls and the other has 1 playoff win. It is a great accomplishment, but individual awards don't translate to contract/trade value.

With what he’s demanding, and with reports that he’s claiming to hold out to help all franchise tagged players in the future, I can see a scenario where he holds out all year. The clarification on him not wanting a fully guaranteed deal appears to be that he still wants more guaranteed money than Deshaun Watson. If there’s some non guaranteed money in addition, that’s lagniappe.
In his reporting, Graziano indicated that Jackson’s goal is not to make sure that a particular percentage of his deal is guaranteed, just that he earns more fully guaranteed money than Deshaun Watson, who struck a $230 million fully guaranteed deal with the Browns.

With what he’s demanding, and with reports that he’s claiming to hold out to help all franchise tagged players in the future, I can see a scenario where he holds out all year. The clarification on him not wanting a fully guaranteed deal appears to be that he still wants more guaranteed money than Deshaun Watson. If there’s some non guaranteed money in addition, that’s lagniappe.

If true, most teams won’t touch him in the future. He’s the wrong player to try and take up that cause wanting more than Watson. Mahomes was/is playing out of this world and is staring to put the skins on the wall and didn’t go for the fully guaranteed contract, and even structured it team friendly . Mahomes, burrow, Allen would be better candidates to fight for the cause.

His contract will just toll and the ravens would put the franchise tag on him again.

This is about big money to the owners, I can see the owners making a stand on this issue.

If true, most teams won’t touch him in the future. He’s the wrong player to try and take up that cause wanting more than Watson. Mahomes was/is playing out of this world and is staring to put the skins on the wall and didn’t go for the fully guaranteed contract, and even structured it team friendly . Mahomes, burrow, Allen would be better candidates to fight for the cause.

His contract will just toll and the ravens would put the franchise tag on him again.

This is about big money to the owners, I can see the owners making a stand on this issue.
In that article or another one, they posed the question of whether Jackson would accept rolling guarantees similar to Mahomes’ contract, but the thought is he won’t accept anything less than what Watson signed for.

Mahomes had $63m guaranteed at signing but had $141m in practical guarantees due to future salaries and roster bonuses becoming guaranteed with trigger dates two years in advance. Win-win for both parties, ownership has better cash flow to stock the roster and the player gets security of being practically impossible to cut.

Worst case scenario for LJ. Imagine if Levis falls to 22 and the Ravens take him. Lamar would be so screwed. They'll go with Huntley as a transitional QB and commit to Levi's when he's ready to play.

It’s gotten to a point now that people and the media are begging a team to offer Jackson a contract. It’s pretty sad but ultimately he made his own bed.
I don't think anyone would sign him, based upon salary alone, if he was a full free agent. Paying him $50 million a year destroys your ability to get under the cap. Also, which mega deal for a QB or any other player has seen the team get a return on their investment, save for Mahomes?

Worst case scenario for LJ. Imagine if Levis falls to 22 and the Ravens take him. Lamar would be so screwed. They'll go with Huntley as a transitional QB and commit to Levi's when he's ready to play.
Rumors are that the Ravens like Anthony Richardson. He looks like the 2nd coming of Lamar. Lamar has little or no leverage against the Ravens, but if the Ravens take Richardson, he'll have even less.

I don't think I've ever seen such a high profile FA, especially a QB, mis-judge their market, and by extension their value, so badly before. And then double-down on the mis-judgement. Thankfully, it doesn't involve the Saints, so I really don't care how it plays out; although I must admit i'm pretty sick & tired of hearing about it.

Today's breaking news..."Lamar Jackson still not signed to contract." How many times can you report the SAME thing before it no longer qualifies as newsworthy?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom