N/S Lamar Jackson Requested A Trade On March 2nd (1 Viewer)

You just said it, they ran him into the ground, why pay him for past performance when he’s been run into the ground. Right or wrong, I can understood both sides, as a business the owners are trying to get the lowest $$ contract they can while the player is trying to get the most $$ they can.

Using him as much as they have, the ravens are going down the cam newton and Carolina dilemma. Overuse and premature breaking down of the body. This league unfortunately a chew them up and spit him out league.
Because he's still young and that wear and tear isn't likely to show up now. It didn't this early for Cam either. It's the cumulative effect of those hits that can shorten a career.

If they do right by him and actually get some healthy backs and let the run game be what it's supposed to be then his career will be just fine. He has avoided any major injuries thus far.

When players see mid-tier QBs getting the money they offered to Lamar it will not bode well in your locker room. He has laid it on the line for them. It's time for them to step up. They will not be good this year or the next if they get rid of Lamar. They would have to restructure their entire offense for a new style of QB.

The Saints are one of very few fanbases that will show up win, lose or draw and pack the house. Even with us that started to change. If they start losing and folks stop showing up that will hurt their bottom line more than paying Lamar a few million more per year.

Folks have to get over this idea that it's 50 million per year compared to zero. To get a top tier QB, which Lamar is, then you will likely pay around 40 million at least. So what we are really talking about here is 10 million dollars or less for a franchise QB. Fork Dat and PAY THE MAN!!!

He was offered the bag. $133 million fully guaranteed is the 2nd highest behind Deshaun Watson. The yearly average is just behind Rodgers contract and ahead of everyone else.
The problem to me is that he isn't that great. He is nowhere near the best in the league. He has had 1 good season. He was unanimous MVP but Brees had a dozen seasons better than his best and never won MVP. I think nobody wants to pay him because, quite frankly, he isnt worth it. He averages 2400 yards passing per season. Without being a runner he is barely a middling QB. Come on now.

He also had Meek Mill text Robert Craft so I’d say he’s a bit hard to take at face value.
The was secondary. He rejected that report himself.

Get what you deserve Lamar. You are a top tier talent in the QB market, and only 26 years old. Wish you the best.

The point is he isn't mid-tier. He's top 10 easily. You gotta pay for that kind of talent and ability.
It's been reported that he was offered a contract by the Ravens that would have been top 3 money, and he turned it down because it wasn't fully guaranteed. I think that he thought he'd be able to create a market and demand like Watson did last year. He has two problems, though:
  • He doesn't have an agent like Watson did last year, who knows how to negotiate and work all the angles (playing teams against each other, using media contacts, etc.).
  • The league seems to be aligned against him -- he's a 26 year old former MVP quarterback, in a quarterback needy league, and not one team is interested in even talking to him?
I think he screwed himself by overplaying his hand, and now the league is screwing him to make an example out of him. There seems to be a coordinated effort not to negotiate with him to push back against fully guaranteed deals -- which allowed Baltimore to tag him on the non-exclusive rights franchise tag, which is only about $32M instead of $44M. So now, instead of having accepted a deal that would have averaged $40-$50M a year, with the lack of competition from other teams for his services, if he doesn't want to take the extension that Baltimore is offering (that he's apparently already turned down) his only options now seem to be accepting the one year tag or sitting out.

The thing is, if he sits out then he's not getting paid. He's already missed out on at least $50M by not negotiating an extension after his third year and letting his contract play out. If he sits for a year, add another $32M to that total -- money he'll never recuperate.

Whatever stand he thought he was taking has clearly backfired and cost he and his family generational wealth. The only way he'll really be able to save face is if he leaves Baltimore -- then he can say he sacrificed money for his freedom (the problem is he currently has no market). Otherwise, if he's back with the Ravens on their terms, then what was the point of not getting an extension and playing out his contract?

He supposedly had a minor knee injury that kept him from playing the last part of the season, but it was suspect and it seemed like he was just sitting out. Not just fans, but even former player commentators/analysts would elude to it.

A good indicator of how a players teammates view him is to see how he's supported on SM. It's pretty much crickets with the Raven players about Lamar.
It’s not a few have said he deserve the money and they wish the front office would put them in a better situation to succeed

It's been reported that he was offered a contract by the Ravens that would have been top 3 money, and he turned it down because it wasn't fully guaranteed. I think that he thought he'd be able to create a market and demand like Watson did last year. He has two problems, though:
  • He doesn't have an agent like Watson did last year, who knows how to negotiate and work all the angles (playing teams against each other, using media contacts, etc.).
  • The league seems to be aligned against him -- he's a 26 year old former MVP quarterback, in a quarterback needy league, and not one team is interested in even talking to him?
I think he screwed himself by overplaying his hand, and now the league is screwing him to make an example out of him. There seems to be a coordinated effort not to negotiate with him to push back against fully guaranteed deals -- which allowed Baltimore to tag him on the non-exclusive rights franchise tag, which is only about $32M instead of $44M. So now, instead of having accepted a deal that would have averaged $40-$50M a year, with the lack of competition from other teams for his services, if he doesn't want to take the extension that Baltimore is offering (that he's apparently already turned down) his only options now seem to be accepting the one year tag or sitting out.

The thing is, if he sits out then he's not getting paid. He's already missed out on at least $50M by not negotiating an extension after his third year and letting his contract play out. If he sits for a year, add another $32M to that total -- money he'll never recuperate.

Whatever stand he thought he was taking has clearly backfired and cost he and his family generational wealth. The only way he'll really be able to save face is if he leaves Baltimore -- then he can say he sacrificed money for his freedom (the problem is he currently has no market). Otherwise, if he's back with the Ravens on their terms, then what was the point of not getting an extension and playing out his contract?
The narrative that nobody wants Lamar isn't true. But to give him that contract plus 2 first round picks is too much. He could probably get his money if he wasn't going to be tagged. That's why I hate the tag. If you don't want to pay someone let them go and get what they deserve.

The narrative that nobody wants Lamar isn't true. But to give him that contract plus 2 first round picks is too much. He could probably get his money if he wasn't going to be tagged. That's why I hate the tag. If you don't want to pay someone let them go and get what they deserve.
I think there's something more going on. If Deshaun Watson was worth 3 first round picks, why isn't Lamar Jackson worth two? It could just come down to his lack of an agent advocating for him, but the leaguewide indifference to his availability seems odd.

I'm not for/against LJax...I'm not a fan of his game...but he has value to the team that is built around him and has value to any team that doesn't have a team built...he can come in and make any crap roster a playoff contender barring injury.

Being said, the Ravens are built to win with Lamar...pay the dude...who else out there can get you to the playoffs?

I know the truth hurts sometimes but it is what it is. The Ravens and other teams that may have been interested in him consider him a talented, injury prone, attitude player that is just not worth the risk of guarantees he is demanding agent or not. To think his behavior at the end of last season did not rub the Ravens and NFL the wrong way is ridiculous. The only reason the Ravens tagged him is because they didn’t want to lose him and have nothing to show for him.

I'm not for/against LJax...I'm not a fan of his game...but he has value to the team that is built around him and has value to any team that doesn't have a team built...he can come in and make any crap roster a playoff contender barring injury.

Being said, the Ravens are built to win with Lamar...pay the dude...who else out there can get you to the playoffs?
You pay him $200 million then. lol

I think there's something more going on. If Deshaun Watson was worth 3 first round picks, why isn't Lamar Jackson worth two? It could just come down to his lack of an agent advocating for him, but the leaguewide indifference to his availability seems odd.
It feels like collusion from the owners to me. The Watson contract is a precedent that the owners don't want to be the norm. So he won't get that money because if it happens again then the 3rd guy will have more of a leg to stand on. They want the Watson contract to be an anomaly.

Because he's still young and that wear and tear isn't likely to show up now. It didn't this early for Cam either. It's the cumulative effect of those hits that can shorten a career.

If they do right by him and actually get some healthy backs and let the run game be what it's supposed to be then his career will be just fine. He has avoided any major injuries thus far.

When players see mid-tier QBs getting the money they offered to Lamar it will not bode well in your locker room. He has laid it on the line for them. It's time for them to step up. They will not be good this year or the next if they get rid of Lamar. They would have to restructure their entire offense for a new style of QB.

The Saints are one of very few fanbases that will show up win, lose or draw and pack the house. Even with us that started to change. If they start losing and folks stop showing up that will hurt their bottom line more than paying Lamar a few million more per year.

Folks have to get over this idea that it's 50 million per year compared to zero. To get a top tier QB, which Lamar is, then you will likely pay around 40 million at least. So what we are really talking about here is 10 million dollars or less for a franchise QB. Fork Dat and PAY THE MAN!!!
One of the things i see wrong about just paying the man is you have less budget for the other players on the team, that pie gets increasingly smaller when a big chunk is taken out. Think some of this fan base was frustrated with the MT consecutive season injuries, imagine paying 50mil plus and having Lamar get the injury bug. The players seem like they only want the top earners to get their bag, but they have already made enough to live on after football. It’s the other players that get the shaft. If you want to have guaranteed contracts, start with the players making the minimum to 5mil a season. Lamar’s 50+ mil a year would eat up about 23-25% of a cap this season, worse the following years if it’s a saints back loaded contract.

That 10 mil you’re talking about can get some pretty good player or two to help the team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom