Lamical Perine vs Pierre Thomas (1 Viewer)

I haven't watched as nearly as much of Perine as you guys have, but I have watched a few games of tape on him and I think his projection is fair he should go in the 4th - 6th round and you're getting a straight forward Back with some receiving versatility to add to the RB rotation.

Does he project to be a RB1? Probably not, but for a 3rd back I think you could do a lot worse in the 5th or 6th round.

I know some people have a much stronger opinions on PT as a talent than I ever did, but what I loved the most about him was the fact that he was never “impressive” in the individual sense. He was never great at any one thing.

He didn’t make defenders look foolish in space, he never looked like he was single handedly moving the pile, he didn’t have insane acceleration to blow by people. He was just football savvy and good enough at everything to make a difference. There might’ve been 25+ rosters in the NFL that he would’ve been just a guy on, but for a team that uses a heavy RB rotation and knows how to scheme RBs in the passing game, he was incredible. That’s what I would envision with Perine.

You know another guy who never had "it" in college? AK

No disrespect to you or your familiarity with Perine and the swamp lizards... ok, maybe a little friendly disrespect to the swamp lizards..

Nope. Not even close to true.

Go back and watch AK highlights at UT, they look exactly like his rookie season in the NFL.

AK always has it....he was a monster at UT.

And Perine doesn’t have it. Wish he did.

I’d be more likely to prop my guy (LP) but I’m calling it honest.

Regarding CJ Henderson, I honestly think he’s going to be picked earlier than he should.

Super fast twitch will get him selected, also great feet, but he’s just not close to as tough as CGJ.

Now he’s been dinged a lot so that could be a part.....but I wouldn’t want him with our first,

And I don’t care what the scouts say on Greenard, he’s definitely got it.

If we could get him 3rd or later, he’s the DE version of CGJ.

I sure do miss the PT Cruiser. Such a smooth back all around fantastic, a consummate pro and teammate as well.

So I recently rewatched the Senior Bowl, to see what players really jumped out.. On the first drive of the game, Lamical Perine catches a TD from Justin Herbert and it reminded me of a certain play from the past...

Flashback with me for a moment:

So I started to do a bit of digging on Lamical Perine, because he was never one to jump out at Florida. It didn’t take me long to realize, Perine is like a Pierre Thomas doppelgänger. Here are their athletic testing numbers (Illinois pro day/NFL Combine):

Pierre Thomas:
5’10, 209 pounds
40 time: 4.65
Bench: 21 reps
3-cone: 7.12
Vertical: 35.5
Broad: 119 inches
Shuttle: 4.31

Lamical Perine:
5’11, 216 pounds
40 time: 4.62
Bench: 22 reps
3-cone: 7.13
Vertical: 35.0
Broad: 118 inches
Shuttle: 4.31

Here are their career college stats:

Rushing:
Pierre Thomas - 453 carries, 2,545 yards, 20 TDs
Lamical Perine - 493 carries, 2,485 yards, 22 TDs

Receiving:
Pierre Thomas - 57 catches, 411 yards, 3 TDs
Lamical Perine - 72 catches, 674 yards, 8 TDs

As you can see, Pierre was a more efficient rusher in college, while Perine was utilized much more in the passing game.

Like Pierre, Perine doesn’t have great speed. He doesn’t have open field elusiveness. What he does well is run patiently between the tackles, knows how to follow blocks, and he’s dynamic in the screen game. Because he doesn’t possess ridiculous traits he’ll likely be available Day 3, and I think the way this offense runs screens, Perine would be a winner late in the draft.

These numbers look almost identical. BUT, measurables aren’t the reason PT was PT.

He looks good for a "satellite" type, but it may be better for our #3 RB to be a "bruiser" type who can close games and let Kamara/Murray rest.

It's always a nice vision, but having a running back closing games really happened only in 2009, and a little bit with Mark Ingram. The current offense without a deep ball is now always in close games, in games that matter - and Drew is throwing the ball.

These numbers look almost identical. BUT, measurables aren’t the reason PT was PT.

That’s kind of my point. Those numbers are not good by any stretch and would be sub-par among NFL RBs. Yet, PT was a productive pro and Perine was a feature back on a Florida roster with access to any talent they want. There’s an unquantifiable quality to these two and that’s why I see the comparison.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom