Lamical Perine vs Pierre Thomas (1 Viewer)

HogsNSaints

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So I recently rewatched the Senior Bowl, to see what players really jumped out.. On the first drive of the game, Lamical Perine catches a TD from Justin Herbert and it reminded me of a certain play from the past...

Flashback with me for a moment:

So I started to do a bit of digging on Lamical Perine, because he was never one to jump out at Florida. It didn’t take me long to realize, Perine is like a Pierre Thomas doppelgänger. Here are their athletic testing numbers (Illinois pro day/NFL Combine):

Pierre Thomas:
5’10, 209 pounds
40 time: 4.65
Bench: 21 reps
3-cone: 7.12
Vertical: 35.5
Broad: 119 inches
Shuttle: 4.31

Lamical Perine:
5’11, 216 pounds
40 time: 4.62
Bench: 22 reps
3-cone: 7.13
Vertical: 35.0
Broad: 118 inches
Shuttle: 4.31

Here are their career college stats:

Rushing:
Pierre Thomas - 453 carries, 2,545 yards, 20 TDs
Lamical Perine - 493 carries, 2,485 yards, 22 TDs

Receiving:
Pierre Thomas - 57 catches, 411 yards, 3 TDs
Lamical Perine - 72 catches, 674 yards, 8 TDs

As you can see, Pierre was a more efficient rusher in college, while Perine was utilized much more in the passing game.

Like Pierre, Perine doesn’t have great speed. He doesn’t have open field elusiveness. What he does well is run patiently between the tackles, knows how to follow blocks, and he’s dynamic in the screen game. Because he doesn’t possess ridiculous traits he’ll likely be available Day 3, and I think the way this offense runs screens, Perine would be a winner late in the draft.

Saints do need a 3rd back, who could see some touches if he's impressive with his opportunities.

I like Perine as a later option like that he seems to possess a natural feel for screen passes, if not him I'd also like Josh Kelley from UCLA; he's another guy that flashed a lot of ability at the Senior Bowl, and had a great week of practice that whole week.

As a guy whose never missed a play in Perine’s career, as much as I want to agree.....I can’t.

Great teammate, great effort guy, Good blocker, good hands....but just never seemed to have “it”.

I can’t tell you the amount of times he just seemed to not instinctually feel the cuts and the blocks. He also never displayed great balance after the first hit.

And while I don’t know that many college players, I do know the Gators.

If you look back, I am happy to say my predictions have been right there for all of them.....AA is very productive when he plays, CGJ has a super aggressive streak, a mean streak, I was thrilled when we got him.

On the other hand, Ronald Powell, though looking the part, never could make it happen in Gainesville.....so despite any combine numbers, he just didn’t have “it”.

All 3 played out just as one would think from their college days.

Perine’s numbers are skewed from perfect blocking lining up for him to get some really long runs, but the normal play after play, he doesn’t have “it”.

He isn’t in the same stratosphere as Pierre.

Now if there is a Gator that might slide, that I will guarantee will be a player in the NFL....watch for Jon Greenard.....DE/OLB.

He’s got it just like AA and CGJ.

I like the take on Greenard he only has about an average athletic profile and doesn't have exceptional get-off quickness but he's a tough, high motor player, who is good at the point and doesn't give up on a play.

A lot of sources are projecting him to play in more of a stand-up On-ball Linebacker role (like a Clay Matthews, or Leonard Floyd role, *not player comparisons just describing the role) Do you think he can translate to being a full-time Hand in the Dirt End backing up Davenport if the Saints take him in the mid rounds?

Also just curious on your take on CJ Henderson, he's probably not around the Saints pick but we may have to face him rumors are Atlanta is going to take him (Dan Quinn connection plus they released their top corner from a season ago) but I have also seen him mocked as high as going to Jacksonville at #9 overall.

I actually really like him as a Man cover guy, I personally think he's the 2nd best Pure coverage guy in the Draft.. really smooth and fluid in transition, even looked more natural in drills at the combine than Okudah did.

I've seen a lot of mixed takes on Henderson though, some people question his toughness and cite poor tackling issues as a concern. I believe he was just playing hurt, and I think he probably made some 'safe' calls on tackling this year to get through the season in tact. Obviously he's not a good fit for teams that play heavy Zone, and or want their corners to make plays in the run game.. (he's probably not high on Zimmer's board) but for a team that plays majority Man with the corners and utilizes him in Off-man coverage I think he'll excel.

Cam Akers is the prospect who reminds me of PT. My favorite RB in this draft is AJ Dillon, but i absolutely LOVE Cam Akers’ game, too. Akers is prob one of the most complete RBs available. He pass protects, catches, & a shifty powerful runner. That dude is very PT-like.

As a guy whose never missed a play in Perine’s career, as much as I want to agree.....I can’t.

Great teammate, great effort guy, Good blocker, good hands....but just never seemed to have “it”.

I can’t tell you the amount of times he just seemed to not instinctually feel the cuts and the blocks. He also never displayed great balance after the first hit.

If you look back, I am happy to say my predictions have been right there for all of them.....AA is very productive when he plays, CGJ has a super aggressive streak, a mean streak, I was thrilled when we got him.

On the other hand, Ronald Powell, though looking the part, never could make it happen in Gainesville.....so despite any combine numbers, he just didn’t have “it”.

Perine’s numbers are skewed from perfect blocking lining up for him to get some really long runs, but the normal play after play, he doesn’t have “it”.

Now if there is a Gator that might slide, that I will guarantee will be a player in the NFL....watch for Jon Greenard.....DE/OLB.

You know another guy who never had "it" in college? AK

No disrespect to you or your familiarity with Perine and the swamp lizards... ok, maybe a little friendly disrespect to the swamp lizards..

I only watched him against LSU and with that being said, all I saw was the last name Perine and I thought of the running back from Florida he’s going to be a beast.

He looks good for a "satellite" type, but it may be better for our #3 RB to be a "bruiser" type who can close games and let Kamara/Murray rest.

Wow. That’s a pretty crazy comparison. Nice work.

Florida’s offense was a disaster for a lot of his time there. He’s really good.

Great find on the comp. I'd be cool with Perine in the later rounds. Could be a gem.

As a fellow Gators fan I agree that Perine never seemed to consistently put it together and there was a lot of 2-3 yards and a cloud of dust plays before late in the game he'd rip a big run or two that made his day look way better on paper. Having said that, the Gators o-line hasn't been great for most of his time there, not to mention the offense as a whole. The guy more than likely isn't the next Barry Sanders but I think in the right situation at the NFL level he could look a lot better than he did in college.

I completely agree about Greenard though, that guy is going to be a great player for someone if he can stay healthy. The defense last season was just so much better when he was able to go.

Very interesting comparisons. Thanks to the OP for the info and effort in putting the data together.

Is he related to the Perine kid that the Redskins drafted a couple of years ago.

As a fellow Gators fan I agree that Perine never seemed to consistently put it together and there was a lot of 2-3 yards and a cloud of dust plays before late in the game he'd rip a big run or two that made his day look way better on paper. Having said that, the Gators o-line hasn't been great for most of his time there, not to mention the offense as a whole. The guy more than likely isn't the next Barry Sanders but I think in the right situation at the NFL level he could look a lot better than he did in college.
I haven't watched as nearly as much of Perine as you guys have, but I have watched a few games of tape on him and I think his projection is fair he should go in the 4th - 6th round and you're getting a straight forward Back with some receiving versatility to add to the RB rotation.

Does he project to be a RB1? Probably not, but for a 3rd back I think you could do a lot worse in the 5th or 6th round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom