Lance Armstrong's lawyer uses Sean Payton as an example for Lance not repaying bonuses (1 Viewer)

someone

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
SCA Promotions has said it is considering filing a lawsuit to recoup from Armstrong as much as $12 million, which it paid him for his fourth, fifth and sixth Tour victories. But Armstrong's lawyer, Tim Herman, told USA Today Sports that there was no precedent for such a payback.

"My only point is no athlete ever, to my understanding, has ever gone back and paid back his compensation," Herman told the newspaper.

"Not Sean Payton or anybody else," he said of the New Orleans Saints coach who was suspended last season for his role in a bounty program. "They were suspended, but nobody said you've got to give your paycheck back."

Lance Armstrong won't pay back $12 million bonuses, his attorney says - ESPN

Is it just me, or is this not even close to being the same scenario?

That doesn't make a bit of sense. SP was suspended for the 2012 season, Armstrong was given that money as a bonus for winning a title that has now been vacated. Was SP even paid through the Saints for last year? I thought it was only his side work with the Hornets that he was paid for.

You're right, I don't see the analogy. First, of course, SP is not an athlete. Second, I don't believe he received any remuneration for his bounty year. That was part of the "deal" of the suspension. Third, none of our wins in prior years were vacated and SP didn't violate any terms of his contract. I'm pretty sure being found to have doped and having your wins vacated is likely considered to be a breach of Lance's contracts as an athlete and his endorsements.

If I'm not mistaken, Payton did not have to repay anything, but he lost his paycheck while he was suspended. He was fined, correct? In that sense he did have to return a portion of his pay, but a rather small percentage of it.

I do not think these are comparable situations at all. For one thing, Payton doesn't have any endorsements to my knowledge, unlike Armstrong.

The Reggie Bush / USC fiasco would be a more appropriate comparison. Only his 'compensation' was not monetary.

The Raiders tried to get money back from Jamarcus Russell apparently completely forgetting it was guaranteed money. So they weren't successful, AFAIK, but they certainly tried.

Hope his lawyer has a better argument for why Lance doesn't have to pay back all the people he sued and won when he clearly perjured himself.

What are the terms of the money Lance got?

He doesn't need to give back a damn thing. He did the same drug use over 50% of the cyclists were doing. There was no cheating when the playing field was level. As much a ***** he may be, he doesn't owe them a thing. They took his 7 wins back. That should be plenty.

The question I have is, why did SCA Promotions pay Armstrong that money? They certainly didn't give him that kind of dough out of the goodness of their hearts. Is SCA Promotions going to return the money they made out of Lance Armstrong's name? I doubt it.

The only way I can see Armstrong losing any money is if it was paid as a bonus for those wins.

The question I have is, why did SCA Promotions pay Armstrong that money? They certainly didn't give him that kind of dough out of the goodness of their hearts. Is SCA Promotions going to return the money they made out of Lance Armstrong's name? I doubt it.

Exactly.

The dude is reaching, got caught, turned his testimony of cancer survival into, a friggin sideshow joke.

Lead with the truth, always.

The world would easily forgive him, if he just told the truth from the start.

But honesty, I guess is a rare commodities these days.

Is it just me, or is this not even close to being the same scenario?

:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

Let's see. Lance admitted to a complex long-term doping scheme. SP has never admitted anything he did was wrong, nor has the NFL proven anything he did was wrong. hmmm

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom