Lance Briggs is available (1 Viewer)

fjr1376

Rookie
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the Saints be interested. He would fit our defense perfectly because Simoneau and Shanle must go. I know he will command a lot of money but we better be in the hunt at least for him. But when his name comes up you don't hear the Saints.

It's obvious Payton knows offense, but he does not know defense and he has proven that his talent evaluation on defense is suspect at best.

A few teams will break the bank for him. The Saints won't. In my opinion, the Saints can get a LB in rounds 3-5 that is better than Shanle.

As much as we need/want him, i doubt it will happen. He will demand some Huge amount of $$$$$$$$$$ and i doubt we'll give it to him even though that would be the best thing to do... Not all rookies adjust well to the game. So yes maybe they can get a better lb than Shanle, but we can pick up somebody better than shanle or any draft pick we can get

Why wouldn't the Saints be interested. He would fit our defense perfectly because Simoneau and Shanle must go. I know he will command a lot of money but we better be in the hunt at least for him. But when his name comes up you don't hear the Saints.

It's obvious Payton knows offense, but he does not know defense and he has proven that his talent evaluation on defense is suspect at best.

this has been talked to death.

Honestly I am worried about how Briggs will do when he is not next to an all decade LB named Urlacher. He may be a stud, but someone is going to pay big bucks to find out. I look at it like a first round pick in the draft... Briggs is a gamble. He looks like a TOP player, but I'm just a little wary...

A few teams will break the bank for him. The Saints won't. In my opinion, the Saints can get a LB in rounds 3-5 that is better than Shanle.

I am not too sure about that. We have failed the past few years in drafting linebackers:

2005 Alfred Fincher (3rd round pick)
2004 Courtney Watson (2nd round pick)
2003 Cie Grant (3rd round pick)
2002 James Allen (3rd round pick)
2001 Sedrick Hodge (3rd round pick)

some other bad ones: Chris Bordano, Colby Bockwoldt, Marvin Mitchell

The last linebacker we drafted that was any good was a decade ago (1998): Mark Feilds (1st round pick)

I am not too sure about that. We have failed the past few years in drafting linebackers:

The last linebacker we drafted that was any good was a decade ago (1998): Mark Feilds (1st round pick)

Thats my fear to....but if you look at those guys, none of them actually did anything but run fast, they werent known for there pass rush, or coverage ability (Hodge had good pass coverage) they were all "sleeper" picks none were top linebackers in there draft class or up and commers, they were guys who helped themselves after the season to get drafted, they won no college awards etc....so your right and so is the guy who says we can get a good linebacker in the later rounds....but its more the "type" of player your bringing in.

And to make matters worse PFW is predicting the LB class this year is thin and uninspiring :(

What the hell has happened to college LBs - why are so few quality performers coming out lately?

None of those guys were picks by the new regime except Mitchell, and he was a seventh-rounder who's still on the team after a season and made an impact on special teams. Hard to say that pick was a failure, based on where he was taken.

And to make matters worse PFW is predicting the LB class this year is thin and uninspiring :(

What the hell has happened to college LBs - why are so few quality performers coming out lately?

Last years draft class would like to argue otherwise - Patrick Willis anyone? We missed the chance on a lot of solid linebackers last year. Some of which were off the board before we drafted but many others were there - Posluszny (who was playing superior ball till he got hurt), Harris (121 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 ff), etc.

None of those guys were picks by the new regime except Mitchell, and he was a seventh-rounder who's still on the team after a season and made an impact on special teams. Hard to say that pick was a failure, based on where he was taken.

I am not saying that we can not find a good linebacker in later rounds. I also understand we have a new regime, but as we all know, the draft is not simple. The closest to "sure things" for linebackers are usually picked in the first 15 picks of the first round, after that it is virtually a crapshoot. People are high on curtis lofton and he could easily become a bust, then we are back to square one. Our linebackers are abyssmal, a bust at linebacker is big risk we could take

Briggs is a proven commodity. I don't think he is a product of playing against urlacher. I have seen Briggs and he is very good and almost assuredly better than any linebacker we can pull out of the later rounds.

Then again, look at who was doing talent evaluations and drafting.:covri:

I hope the new regime can pick em a bit better. Just about any rook LB can come in here and beat out the vets IMO. It may not be that sure, but it's that bad too.

It's either pay big money to a #10 LB that is unproven, or pay bigger money for a LB that has had the luxury of arguably the best MLB in quite some time. Briggs is a sure tackler and has the talent to be dang good. He would provide an instant upgrade no matter what and he's supposively a force to be reckoned with.

In the end, I'd rather pay big bucks for a FA CB and focus on LB in the draft since it is talent rich and deep.

If we have a real chance to have Briggs, he'd be a great addition. I just don't see it happening. My real hope is that we can find a MLB somewhere. If we have to live with Shanle out there another year that's fine, as long as strengthen the middle of this defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom