Lance Briggs (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Did anyone watch this guy play yesterday? Up until yesterday's game I thought he was a good player living off the success of Urlacher but that is obviously not the case. He was absolutely everywhere and racked up 13 tackles, 3 forced fumbles and I'm sure he had some passes defended mixed in. It was the most dominating performance I have seen from an outside LB this year. Would I be dreaming if we could snag Clements and Briggs and draft Patrick Willis?

That guy was lights out. I see why the Bears are so good on defense. I knew it wasn't just Urlacher. I watched the game and thought to myself, wouldn't it be nice to snag someone like him for thid defense?

I'd love to see Briggs in black and gold, but I think we're more likely to get Donnie Edwards. Both of them, obviously, would be ideal.

I would guess, though you never know, that Briggs will be out of our pay range.

To have a solid LB that will be around for a while would be scary. Not to say that one player would "make" the D, but a top notch LB would be very benificial.

Briggs turned down a $5.5M / season deal with the Bears 4 months ago.

He is a quality LB and could be a FRANCHISE MLB for some team. I really like Briggs, and he can make back-to-back drive killing plays, but I'd be worried of an Ed Hartwell type of contract like the Falcons.

Would I be dreaming if we could snag Clements and Briggs and draft Patrick Willis?

Probably, if you think in terms of other moves likely to happen. We're 10 million under the cap now (and the cap goes up next year), but with us resigning Charles Grant, possibly keeping McKenzie, and Brees due a monster bonus, I think we will be able to, at best, sign one big name. Two big contracts (Briggs and Clements) may be out of reach.

Probably, if you think in terms of other moves likely to happen. We're 10 million under the cap now (and the cap goes up next year), but with us resigning Charles Grant, possibly keeping McKenzie, and Brees due a monster bonus, I think we will be able to, at best, sign one big name. Two big contracts (Briggs and Clements) may be out of reach.

I'm more excited about the boatload of draft picks we have. They should go defense with at least the first three.

There is no way that we will be able to get him. I'd also like you to know that I'm crying as a type this.

As much as I would love to see a big-name signing like Briggs, Adalius Thomas or Nate Clemmens, I don't think it would happen.

I think the saints will have big financial commitments with Brees, Grant, H.Thomas and J. Stichcomb.

I think we will be looking for 2 o 3 middle of the road, but reliable players, like Donnie Edwards (who is great but aging) and Daniel Graham. I also think that with Payton's eye, the saints will sign another big-tall receiver, who may be out of the radar now but that the coach can think he can develop into a great receiver. A guy in the style of Andre Davis would come to mind

Didn't we already give Brees his bonus when we extended his contract? If so that makes a big difference. I think Horn will restructure his contract since he is due a big bonus and Brian Young is making bank and will likely be released freeing up more cap space with the solid play of Whitehead, Leslie and Lake. I agree that we have to resign Grant and MM. I really think we might land one of the big free agents like Briggs or Clements. No way we sign both but one can dream. Either way the chance to greatly improve our defense will be there in the offseason both through the draft and free agent market.

I think we'll make one visibly big signing, simply because we have a critical need for a "playmaker" on defense who can make significant drive changing plays. The only sure way to acquire that is to trade up into the top 10 for one (which we won't do, we'll want all 10 of our draft picks because our depth is still real shallow in some areas) or to sign a premier FA player (Clements, Briggs, etc).

Didn't we already give Brees his bonus when we extended his contract? If so that makes a big difference. I think Horn will restructure his contract since he is due a big bonus and Brian Young is making bank and will likely be released freeing up more cap space with the solid play of Whitehead, Leslie and Lake. I agree that we have to resign Grant and MM. I really think we might land one of the big free agents like Briggs or Clements. No way we sign both but one can dream. Either way the chance to greatly improve our defense will be there in the offseason both through the draft and free agent market.

We did, but I believe (i'm not sure) it's not technically "due" until next season. My understanding is that Brees had a 12 million dollar roster bonus which would count in full for the 2007 season if he is on the roster then. The Saints simply said they were going to pick up that option. Again, i'm not sure though so maybe someone can clarify.

Yes, it would be GREAT news if we ate that bonus this season with our available cap room.

Horn and Young, if I am correct, don't have escalating contracts, ie their cap numbers are similiar next year to what they have this year. In which case it's no big deal. We could free up room by extending them (I like Young), both would be willing to do that (since they won't get better money elsewhere).

Grant's going to eat up most of the free-space. He's going to get at least top 10 DE money. Think a little below John Abraham's deal from Atlanta.

Isn't Asante Samuels a free agent after this year also? I haven't watched him play much this year but I did get to watch him yesterday. He is always around the ball and had 3 INTs yesterday. He wouldn't be bad pickup at cornerback if we can't get Clements.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom