Landon Johnson or Calvin Pace (1 Viewer)

jkb531

Reaction score
Why aren't we going after LB's like this. Very productive and been in league only 4 years. Both are above average and will probably not demand the elite contracts. I would like to see us grab one of these guys. Vilma would be a nice pick up as well I think. Lot of good quality in FA for linebackers this year. Need to spend some money on one or two before draft day.

Maybe because free agency hasn't started yet and it is illegal to tamper with players under contract for another team.

Also, I may be mistaken but Calvin Pace played OLB in a 3-4 system with the Cards and probably wouldn't fit our system as a LB.

Last edited:
Pace is a SLB... and I really don't think he'd be better than Fujita. I thought Landon Johnson was a solid young player, and could hold it down at MLB... but why would the Bengals let a good young player like him leave their defense? That concerns me.

Why would it be so difficult for an OLB to switch sides?

Calvin Pace had a breakout year this past season and he is just entering his prime at 27 years old.

He had almost 100 tackles, and most importantly he had 6.5 sacks to go with it.

I really like this guy, but no way the Cards don't try and retain him somehow

For the same reason we're not going after Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacher, Demeco Ryans, Adalius Thomas or any other LB: They're not free agents.

The two you mention will be free agents in a few days.

Why aren't we going after LB's like this. Very productive and been in league only 4 years. Both are above average and will probably not demand the elite contracts. I would like to see us grab one of these guys. Vilma would be a nice pick up as well I think. Lot of good quality in FA for linebackers this year. Need to spend some money on one or two before draft day.

Calvin Pace is still under contract

Free Agency has not begun

Holy smokes :covri:

Calvin Pace is still under contract

Free Agency has not begun

Holy smokes :covri:

LS, I realize free agency doesn't begin until Friday, but what does your gut tell you on our front office? Do you think that they are going to go balls to the wall on getting the right type defensive FA's in here?

Something tells me that Payton still has his eyes on improving the offense.

What are your thoughts?

LS, I realize free agency doesn't begin until Friday, but what does your gut tell you on our front office? Do you think that they are going to go balls to the wall on getting the right type defensive FA's in here?

Something tells me that Payton still has his eyes on improving the offense.

What are your thoughts?

I think we'll quietly try to make a few runs at some of the top players that this board covets. And I think we'll strike out most of the time, either because the player just isn't interested or because some other team outbids us. And I think we'll end up with a lot of mid-tier free agents and this board will be very, very unhappy.

I do not think Payton "still has eyes on improving the offense" in the manner you're refering too (i.e. at the expense of the defense). I think Payton is way, way, way sicker of how much of a liability the defense was this past season. Remember, it was his unit that had to pick up the slack and he took the blame for it.

I think we'll make a genuine effort to improve the defense. I also think a lot of players, frankly, just don't want to play here. For a variety of reasons. And while Loomis will make competitive offers, because Benson isn't half as cheap in terms of player contracts as some people seem to assume, Loomis is not going to pay a buck fifty on the dollar just to convince someone to come to New Orleans when they don't really want to be here.

I think we'll quietly try to make a few runs at some of the top players that this board covets. And I think we'll strike out most of the time, either because the player just isn't interested or because some other team outbids us. And I think we'll end up with a lot of mid-tier free agents and this board will be very, very unhappy.

I do not think Payton "still has eyes on improving the offense" in the manner you're refering too (i.e. at the expense of the defense). I think Payton is way, way, way sicker of how much of a liability the defense was this past season. Remember, it was his unit that had to pick up the slack and he took the blame for it.

I think we'll make a genuine effort to improve the defense. I also think a lot of players, frankly, just don't want to play here. For a variety of reasons. And while Loomis will make competitive offers, because Benson isn't half as cheap in terms of player contracts as some people seem to assume, Loomis is not going to pay a buck fifty on the dollar just to convince someone to come to New Orleans when they don't really want to be here.

Good assesment and I agree with Loomis on this. Maybe it is o.k to pay $1.10 on the dollar, but don't give away the farm to someone who doesn't want to be here.

I hope you are right that we will make an honest effort. I just worry that Payton doesn't think that our current DT, DB and LB situation wasn't that bad.

I'm sorry about my original post. I am aware that FA hasn't started yet. I meant this as some of the guys I would like us to go after. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I just can't wait until it starts. I seriously think this offseason is going to be unlike any other, that being in a good way. I think we will get pretty aggressive this offseason. I'd like to see us shell out some dough, esp since we are so far under the cap.

It looks like Landon Johnson may be available. LINK

What do you guys think about him?

Pace is a SLB... and I really don't think he'd be better than Fujita. I thought Landon Johnson was a solid young player, and could hold it down at MLB... but why would the Bengals let a good young player like him leave their defense? That concerns me.

Landon Johnson fits the mold of a 4-3 MLB and the Bengals are switching to a base 3-4. Inside linebackers in a 3-4 need to be bigger than a MLB in a 4-3, hence him being available.

I'm hoping we bring Landon Johnson in at least for a look-see.. While the Bengals defense hasn't been great, he's lead them in tackles 3 out of the last 4 years.. He's young, and I don't think he'd break the bank..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom