Landon Turner (...what's his upside)? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Turner is as strong as an ox, and can pancake his opponents when he gets the leverage. The knock on him has been his speed and agility. As far as strength goes, I have never seen or heard of any defensive player being able to bull rush him: dude is solid.

IIRC, he had flashes of brilliance during the few times we had him on the active roster. I think he's shown enough to make a jump in performance from rookie year to year two, but will that be enough?

Thoughts on whether or not he was an experiment that we need to have in the rear view mirror, OR, can he be coached-up to compete at the highest level?

Rookie Mini Camp Interview: Landon Turner

:gosaints:

Better in the run game but not quite as agile as Tim Lelito. Hopefully a year of conditioning will do him well. I don't think that you can go into 2017 expecting him to be much more than a guy fighting for a roster spot. We need to either draft and sign a RG.

Turner is as strong as an ox, and can pancake his opponents when he gets the leverage. The knock on him has been his speed and agility. As far as strength goes, I have never seen or heard of any defensive player being able to bull rush him: dude is solid.

IIRC, he had flashes of brilliance during the few times we had him on the active roster. I think he's shown enough to make a jump in performance from rookie year to year two, but will that be enough?

Thoughts on whether or not he was an experiment that we need to have in the rear view mirror, OR, can he be coached-up to compete at the highest level?

Rookie Mini Camp Interview: Landon Turner

:gosaints:

In my Opinion Landon Turner has the ability to be a starter at RG in this league . his main problem that I see isn't speed or agility its technique . He isn't an wow athlete by any means but his over powering strength is his best asset . I feel like the staff sees it as well that's why we saw him as an extra tackle this season . He could very well be Jahri's replacement

I think work ethic will define him, and that's something we as fans can't really see. He has the talent to be starting caliber, albeit not quick enough to ever be elite. He can maul defenses in the run game but the fear with guys like Turner is that at their quickest, they're still not that quick. If he doesn't commit to football and balloons in weight anymore than he currently is, he'll be out of the league quickly. If he pushes hard in the offseason and shows up trimmer, he can compete for a job inside.

I still think a OG needs to be added via FA, or the draft but with the guys on the roster currently, it's not a position of dire need IMO. Saints can hold off until the 4th or so and draft another competitor.

I think work ethic will define him, and that's something we as fans can't really see. He has the talent to be starting caliber, albeit not quick enough to ever be elite. He can maul defenses in the run game but the fear with guys like Turner is that at their quickest, they're still not that quick. If he doesn't commit to football and balloons in weight anymore than he currently is, he'll be out of the league quickly. If he pushes hard in the offseason and shows up trimmer, he can compete for a job inside.

I see it the same way. I have always found it interesting when you see guys with talent, who can not only make a roster, but develop into a starting caliber player, and the work ethic is the issue with them. Not saying Turner has a work ethic issue, but as more than a casual fan, I think he can be a real player in the league if he commits to it 100%.

Avery Young has more potential at guard in the zone scheme NO runs. Also, if not for his injury he would have been drafted. Turner is a better fir in a power blocking scheme.

Whose to say he can't be a pro bowler? If we would have drafted him in the 4th round where he was expected to go by many everyone here would believe he's our starter at RG next season. Turner having a full year in an NFL conditioning program can be huge towards his development. Someone like him losing some uneeded weight can go a long way towards his feet getting quicker. Turner no doubt has the ability to be a very solid starting OG with potential to be very good.

+1 for Avery Young.

Between Turner and Young, we have a either a starter or a quality backup at RG. It'll be hard to pass on Dan Feeney in the draft though.

I like Siragusa too. And I need to check out Damien Mama, haven't gotten to him yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom