Landon Turner? (1 Viewer)

After really keying in on him I was impressed. You can tell he knows his game and what he can do and what he can't. He knows he has to be first. But he stops penetration with his anchor. Create a clean pocket. Need to see a little more.. But have a good idea what he can bring in a consistent snap count

I feel the same... What I saw reviewing the game was disappointing for Lilito... I saw guys literally blow by him in several occasions... My hope was that he would improve by this point in his development but what I saw was the same thing... He looked solid in the running game and poor in the passing game and the same thing for Turner. Complete misses on 2 occasions in the passing game.

It's one thing to get beat, it's another to have guy go by you and you barely get your hands on them...

Well... During camp, I watched the Oline closely, specifically guard... I took note of a drill where the worked on movement and foot placement technique. I noticed that Landon Turner's foot quickness was better then what I expected...

I left for camp on Friday and just returned last night so today was the 1st day I really had a chance To go back and focus on Turner and really reconcile my opinion that I had formed that he couldn't move and wasn't very good. You see, what I saw in camp didn't jive with my opinion.

I watched 48 snaps of his and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I came up with 33 positive plays, 10 neutral plays and 5 negitive plays.

The vast majority of his snaps were impressive. He moved people in the run game and stonewalled rushers in the passing game.

The 5 negitive plays included complete wiffs. These were the plays that I noticed the most obviously and if you go back to the last (or maybe 2nd to last play) of the game and you'll see a play that leaves you with a bad taste. Also 14:24 in the 4th and 3:30 in the 3rd...

All in all, if he cleans up 5 plays and maybe even 3 really poor plays specifically, he was dominant. I mean, he completely controlled his position. Now, keep in mind that he was going against back ups so take it with a grain of salt but I'm interested in seeing him more.

My observations over the last two practices and a bit inconsistent...

1st, he's not built the way I expected... I thought he would be a shorter, sticky build guy but he doesn't look a bulky as the videos I've watched... They say tv adds 10 pounds... Lol

In the drills, his feet don't look as slow as I expected them to be but the results are inconsistent especially in pass pro...

I will continue to keep an eye on him...

But... Jack Allen has impressed me more... And he's not a huge guy...

This was part of my point above... An observation I made in camp to lead me to reevaluate my thoughts.

If he can come close to Dobler (without the cheap shots), he's a keeper!

Thanks for the Dobler video, I enjoyed it very much, and I do think we need a little of that "spirit" on this team.

Just rewatched the game and was very impressed with Turner's play, seems as if he gets his hands on the defender, he wins very time.

On second watching I thought Jack Allen played really well. Dodgy block in the back call on him on the screen to Thomas. Made one poor block (missed the LB on a run) but other than that pretty solid all around pass and run.

Turner did well too. He's got flaws but he also has some strengths. He had a couple plays where he got beat by quickness and didn't recover well enough. Once on a pass, hands slapped away and beat to the inside but Allen was there. Last play of the game on a draw, just missed the block. Could argue he didn't help the RT enough when he got beat to the inside once as well. But he's got pop and it showed in the run game and on many pass plays he had his man stoned on the LoS. It's still early but he's not hurt himself at all with his first game. He still reminds me of a poor man's carl nicks - if he was only a little more agile (and mean)!

Belfast me and you had a good debate about Peat last year if get chance watch his snaps in the 1st pre season curious of your opinion on him this year

Well... During camp, I watched the Oline closely, specifically guard... I took note of a drill where the worked on movement and foot placement technique. I noticed that Landon Turner's foot quickness was better then what I expected...

I left for camp on Friday and just returned last night so today was the 1st day I really had a chance To go back and focus on Turner and really reconcile my opinion that I had formed that he couldn't move and wasn't very good. You see, what I saw in camp didn't jive with my opinion.

I watched 48 snaps of his and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I came up with 33 positive plays, 10 neutral plays and 5 negitive plays.

The vast majority of his snaps were impressive. He moved people in the run game and stonewalled rushers in the passing game.

The 5 negitive plays included complete wiffs. These were the plays that I noticed the most obviously and if you go back to the last (or maybe 2nd to last play) of the game and you'll see a play that leaves you with a bad taste. Also 14:24 in the 4th and 3:30 in the 3rd...

All in all, if he cleans up 5 plays and maybe even 3 really poor plays specifically, he was dominant. I mean, he completely controlled his position. Now, keep in mind that he was going against back ups so take it with a grain of salt but I'm interested in seeing him more.

Did you get to focus any on Kelemete, Lelito, or Eulls and how they looked?

Belfast me and you had a good debate about Peat last year if get chance watch his snaps in the 1st pre season curious of your opinion on him this year

I didn't watch him second time around, just Allen and Turner, but even from the corner of my eye he didn't play well. The question is, what does that mean? Has he regressed, does he not have it, is it a blip? In football we all have a bad day at the office. I'm curious to see the next game.

Travelling for work but will have a closer look this weekend.

This upcoming game vs hou will be fun to watch all these young o lineman that are trying to make the team. Hopefully guys like Turner and Allen play in the 1st half so we can see What they can do against the 1-B squad rather than the 2s and 3s.

First you said this...

Surprised he signed here. He's a great down blocker. But one trick poney. Any movement lateral or backward as in pass pro or zone blocking he doesn't have the feet to do. So he is pigeoned holed into a down blocking scheme with a lot of 3 step drops. Like KC or now the Eagles. For what we do. He is a terrible scheme fit

But then you said this...

After really keying in on him I was impressed. You can tell he knows his game and what he can do and what he can't. He knows he has to be first. But he stops penetration with his anchor. Create a clean pocket. Need to see a little more.. But have a good idea what he can bring in a consistent snap count

First you say you're surprised he signed here and that he's a terrible scheme fit. Then you say you're really impressed. Did you not watch him before making the first statement?

First you said this...

First you say you're surprised he signed here and that he's a terrible scheme fit. Then you say you're really impressed. Did you not watch him before making the first statement?
p

It's a good quality to be able to amend your views based on evidence presented no?

And the initial assessment is reasonably sound, Turner would best suit a downhill, man on man blocking scheme.

First you said this...

Just college tape,,,b4 the first statement. Keyed in on his snaps with the DVR after posting that. Had to tell my self to not focus on what he can't and focus on what he can. Although he is is ideal fit in a down blocking scheme stand by that but my opinion did change after watching his snaps. He can give you solid reps and keep a clean pocket. You can work with that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom