Laptop help (1 Viewer)

nolaspe

Slava Ukraini!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I figured I'd ask y'all for some advice.

Aside from the craptacular week many of us just endured w/ Ida with evacuating/being w/o power/internet for the better half of the week albeit with generator power, etc, I managed to kill my personal laptop late last week by knocking my drink over and having it splash all over the keyboard and seep into the inside. I tried my best to dry it off but to no avail, the screen kept showing that there wasn't any bootable device detected.

I took it to a local computer guy here in BR 2 days later since we spent the day after I killed it going back to NOLA to meet w/ the roofing guy/clean stuff up. He told me that the C drive and motherboard are fried but the D drive is fine. He's offering to install a new/better C drive, reinstall the D drive (he offered to replace it w/ a SSD drive w/ half the space but better performance since the one I have is a mechanical drive).

He'd charge me ~$90 for the new C drive and $190 for labor. We found a replacement motherboard on ebay for $599. So, I'm looking at roughly $880 to get it fixed, and he does a 1 yr warranty for parts/repairs.

My question is, would you guys think that spending the $880 to get it repaired would be worth it vs ponying up some extra $ to get a brand new computer for roughly $1.5k? It's roughly 3.5 yrs old and this is the model. Thanks in advance for any input.

Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572-78JY 15.6" Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 16 GB Memory 128 GB SSD 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop VR Ready

Get a new one, you are 3.5 years into this laptop and at the end of its life cycle. Replacing the motherboard with a used one does not help the age factor because you are going used, processor, power supply, RAM would also be dated. The $190 labor charge alone for hard drive replacement is really steep as its relatively an easy task.

How would you say it stacks up vs another brand, i.e. this one? Granted I have really liked my Acer, but I'm shopping around.

I had to pull the spec sheet from Acer to get a better understanding, they are almost identical. The Acer you are getting a better processor IMO but sacrificing on storage with a 512GB SSD versus the 1000GB SSD with the HP, THOUGH the Acer has a second bay to add an additional hard drive. It appears also that the Acer has some extra bells and whistles for the eye. Go with your gut, if your Acer did not give you any problems (think small here) as in battery cord, battery life, over heating, etc., you might be want to be a repeat customer. If you haven't ever experienced quality control issues with HP and want to go in a different direction than weigh that out. Many moons ago working IT, we were an HP shop as in the brand preferred that we used and relatively didn't see many issues to complain about, granite two different animals here with gaming. My gut between these two is the Acer, hopefully a gamer will see this thread and throw some more weight.

I had to pull the spec sheet from Acer to get a better understanding, they are almost identical. The Acer you are getting a better processor IMO but sacrificing on storage with a 512GB SSD versus the 1000GB SSD with the HP, THOUGH the Acer has a second bay to add an additional hard drive. It appears also that the Acer has some extra bells and whistles for the eye. Go with your gut, if your Acer did not give you any problems (think small here) as in battery cord, battery life, over heating, etc., you might be want to be a repeat customer. If you haven't ever experienced quality control issues with HP and want to go in a different direction than weigh that out. Many moons ago working IT, we were an HP shop as in the brand preferred that we used and relatively didn't see many issues to complain about, granite two different animals here with gaming. My gut between these two is the Acer, hopefully a gamer will see this thread and throw some more weight.

Thanks a ton for your help man, I appreciate it, I'm leaning towards the Acer as well, plus I could always get another external HD down the road if needed. I have a few and the newest one I have still has a bit over 800 GB of free space...

I personally wouldn't spend close to 900 for repairing an old device. There comes a time where it isn't worth the cost and better to move on to something better/newer. With that being said, I also wouldn't buy a gaming laptop, too many compromises in my opinion. This is just my personal feelings, since I'd rather build a desktop rig where I get to select each component individually.

Before purchase, just do your homework, reading reviews etc. I skimmed a few for a bit and ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14 and/or ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G15 seem to get a lot of praise

I appreciate the insight from everyone, I ended up getting a brand new Acer Predator Helios 300 and it was delivered today, so far, I'm loving it lol... I'm playing around on it like a kid playing with a new toy at Crimmis...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom