Larry Fitzgerald Doesn't Expect To Be With Cardinals in 2015. (1 Viewer)

Hasn't he always wanted to play for the Vikings? Might realize that dream.

This should be interesting.

giphy.gif

Saints can't afford his contract.

Last week, general manager Steve Keim confirmed a Pro Football Talk report that the Cardinals had no plans to cut Fitzgerald despite an unworkable $23.6 million cap number next season, which would account for about 17 percent of the projected $141 million salary cap.
By refusing a big pay cut, he could force the Cardinals to trade him to a team where he'd have the opportunity to be the top receiving option again.
The Cardinals signed Fitzgerald to an eight-year, $120 million deal in 2011. He was the team's first-round pick (third overall) in 2004 and has played his entire 11-year career here. He owns numerous franchise and NFL records

I like Fitz but his best days are behind him. No way would i come close to giving him that kind of money.

This one's a really interesting contract:
Larry Fitzgerald Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns

In short, he's has a ton of bonuses which look to have been paid up front, except for a roster bonus of 8 million due on the 5th league day. So if they trade him during those 5 days, the new team is on the line for the 8 million plus his 8 million salary next year. If they wait until after the 5th day, they pay the bonus and the new team gets him for 8 mil, straight up. The next 3 years at 15 mil each could be restructured.. maybe spread out over 5 years.

The only issue is what the advantage would be to the Cards to trade him. As started above, they would be on the hook for 23.6 mil if they play him next year.. if they trade him after the roster bonus, they'd be hit for 14.4 million dead money plus the 8 mil roster bonus, for a total of 22.4 million. So in essence, they'd save 1.2 million plus be rid of his contract (and would likely get some nice picks in the deal). Would that be enough incentive?

Perfect fit for the Patriots. I would like him as a Saint but with the weapons the Patriots have they just need 1 stud big bodies WR and I could see them ponying up the $ like they did for Moss to FitZ. Edelman, Amendola, Fitgerald, and Gronk is a great duo and exactly what Brady took that restructured contract for. Plus the nice stable of backs they have man the Patriots would be serious with a young and inproving defense. The Saints will be just fine with out Fitz. When we come back healthy and fix just a few positions while upgrading and retooling teams better seriously watch out for us. We have a chip on our shoulders and will be the under dogs once again. Next year is out year and I feel that more than I ever have.

Folks up here in MN are really talking up Fitz to the vikings. Not sure if it's mostly wishful thinking, but he does have strong ties to the twin cities area and he would sure be good for Teddy and C Patterson. Patterson has all world talent but is really lacking in...ummm... The mental aspect, to put it nicely. Fitz would be a great mentor.

Fits and Colston have much in common. Both aging WRs which have lost at least a step and have difficulty separating. Both are slot WRs at this point. Why not just keep Colston, a Saints hero?

Hasn't he always wanted to play for the Vikings? Might realize that dream.
Don't think he wants to play with a rookie or two year pro unless it's Andrew luck. Sure he wants a chance to win a Super Bowl before it's too late.

Living in Arizona I've heard this from my diehard Cardinals friend since Larry's charity softball game. (Before the preseason)

He's been saying he's been gone for awhile, too much money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom