Larry Holder: Saints will interveiw Todd Grantham and Rob Ryan on Thursday and Friday (1 Viewer)

We won the super bowl with most of those players.

Most of the players we have now were not on the Super Bowl team. Barely half the current defensive starters started for that team. Harper, Greer, Vilma (may not be back next year), Smith (may not be back next year), Ellis (probably won't be back next year). I think that's it. So I'm not sure who these same players are, but we've had major turnover since 2009.

And even with Williams as DC, it's not like these players were extraordinary. We won the Super Bowl with an outstanding offense that could run the ball well, and an opportunistic defense that got lots of turnovers but was ranked poorly. Do we really want to have to trust that much in the offense in the future? Wouldn't it be nice not to have to win with smoke and mirrors? But as last season proved, we can't win with even a remotely straightforward defense, because the players are just not good at fundamentals like tackling.

Even though they lost to Bama in the SECCG, I thought the Dawg D was pretty darn good. They HAVE talent.

There are a few UGA players who could land up here. I remember someone postin an all UGA lineup with our first 3 picks (cant remember if that included us having our 2nd pick though). There's Jones, Rambo, Geathers, even Tree, among others, who can come in and help the D. And if Grantham comes to NOLA, it would make sense to get at least one or 2 of his players. He knows em, and they can come in already knowing him and how to play his D.

They all might still be NFL rooks, but that scenario gives em a leg up on the average rookie player or coach. And right now, we could use any edge we can get to turn this D around ASAP.

My biggest question (if anyone knows) is what kind of pass coverage does Grantham use?

(Saints Junkie beat me to it!)

Im going to hop on my pc n grab a link for u

During Grantham's 2 seasons with Dallas, the Cowboys improved from 13th (2007) to 2nd (2009) in the league in points allowed

His defense with Georgia also forced 26 takeaways, over twice as many as Georgia had in 2009 (12), and helped them move from 118th nationally in 2009 to 18th in 2010 in turnover margin.

Georgia's defense under Grantham finished the 2011 season ranked 3rd nationally in total defense, 7th in pass defense and 9th in rush defense. They also finished 2nd in the SEC in sacks (34), tackles for loss (94) and turnovers forced (29).

Even though they lost to Bama in the SECCG, I thought the Dawg D was pretty darn good. They HAVE talent.

There are a few UGA players who could land up here. I remember someone postin an all UGA lineup with our first 3 picks (cant remember if that included us having our 2nd pick though). There's Jones, Rambo, Geathers, even Tree, among others, who can come in and help the D. And if Grantham comes to NOLA, it would make sense to get at least one or 2 of his players. He knows em, and they can come in already knowing him and how to play his D.

They all might still be NFL rooks, but that scenario gives em a leg up on the average rookie player or coach. And right now, we could use any edge we can get to turn this D around ASAP.

My biggest question (if anyone knows) is what kind of pass coverage does Grantham use?

(Dangit, Saints Junkie beat me to it!)

I did a mock with Ogletree(1), Rambo (3), Geathers (5)

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/p...pick-stealing-mock-draft-285687/#.URHNpKU2l1w

If this is the case, then why did we wait till after the Super Bowl?

If I had to guess, with Grantham, it isn't the SB that they were waiting on, but NCAAF National Signing Day instead. Maybe Grantham wants to wait until after signing day so that it doesn't hurt UGA with recruiting.

Just a guess, though.

Granthams first NFL stint was with the Indianapolis Colts, he was the DL coach and they went from 3-13 to 13-3 while his defense compiled 56 sacks in two years.

Heres some info about his second NFL stint with the Houston Texans
Quote:
In 2002, his influence was evident on the line as starters Gary Walker, Seth Payne, and Jerry Deloach all posted career high's in tackles. Gary Walker would also earn his second Pro Bowl appearance under his tutelage that season.
2003 would be a testing year for the line, as Pro Bowler Gary Walker and Seth Payne would only play in a combined six games that year due to injury. However, Jerry Deloach and Steve Martin would fill in with great success, posting a combined 201 tackles. Despite the very poor 5-11 record, there was optimism for the future of the steadily improving defense.
2004 would be a break-out year for the Texans. Todd Grantham's line would once again make a major contribution, helping the Texans achieve the 13th ranked run defense in the league. Despite the low number of sacks (5.5), they put great pressure on opposing quarterbacks (76 recorded pressures) and helped anchor the defense that was equipped with playmakers such as 2004 1st round draft pick Dunta Robinson, former Ravens Linebacker Jamie Sharper, and Veteran Defensive Backs Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman. Despite posting a mediocre 7-9 record, the Texans were poised to start making an impact in the NFL after improving every season since their inception in 2002.

In Cleveland
Quote:
Todd Grantham's first year as coordinator of the Browns defense was an eclectic mix of good and bad. They once again fielded one of the NFL's top pass defenses, actually stepping up in rank from 5th to 4th in the NFL. When starting cornerback Gary Baxter went down with a knee injury that ended his season, Leigh Bodden emerged as a solid playmaker. Overall, their secondary continued to play at a high level. They also ranked 11th in scoring defense despite possessing one of the leagues worst run defenses. Orpheus Roye would post a career high with 88 tackles and also make 3 sacks.

And finally, in Dallas
Quote:
Grantham served as the defensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys until the end of the season when he joined the coaching staff at the University of Georgia as defensive coordinator. During Grantham's 2 seasons with Dallas, the Cowboys improved from 13th (2007) to 2nd (2009) in the league in points allowed.

Per Jason LaCanfora

"In regards to that Grantham interview wi/ Saints, I continue to hear the Georgia DC could end up with the Eagles".

LaCanfora

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom