Lasik Not Safe? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about Lasik, I've worn glasses since the 7th grade, but stories like this worry me a bit.

=========================================================================

WASHINGTON - Patients harmed by Lasik eye surgery alternated between fury and despair Friday as they told federal health officials of suffering years of eye pain, blurred or double vision — even of people driven to suicide.

“Too many Americans have been harmed by this procedure and it’s about time this message was heard,” said David Shell of Washington, D.C., who had Lasik in 1998 and says he has “not experienced a moment of crisp, good quality vision since.”..................

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24277759

WASHINGTON -- In fury and despair, patients harmed by Lasik eye surgery told federal health advisers Friday of severe eye pain, blurred vision and even a son's suicide. The advisers recommended that the government warn more clearly about the risks of the hugely popular operations............

Shell held up large photographs that he said depict his blurred world, showing halos around objects and double vision, since his 1998 Lasik.

"I see multiple moons," he said angrily. "Anybody want to have Lasik now?"

Colin Dorrian was in law school when dry eye made his contact lenses so intolerable that he sought Lasik, even though a doctor noted his pupils were pretty large. Both the dry eye and pupil size should have disqualified Dorrian, but he received Lasik anyway _ and his father described six years of eye pain and fuzzy vision before the suburban Philadelphia man killed himself last year.

"As soon as my eyes went bad, I fell into a deeper depression than I'd ever experienced, and I couldn't get out," Gerard Dorrian read from his son's suicide note.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/25/AR2008042500424.html?sub=AR

Seems like most people I talk to who've had it say that it loses its effectiveness after a few years.

I just heard them talking about this on the radio. in the ten years they've been doing Lasik, the FDA has received 140 complaints. that sounds WAY low to me.

suicide boy's story said that he should not have been a candidate for the procedure. that doesn't sound like an indictment of the procedure, but rather the dr, IMHO.

I had mine years ago and haven't had any problems at all. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I have at least 2 family members that I know of who have had it done, and it was successful.

Its funny, media outlets must be making this one a bigger story, NBC News did a segment on this last night. The patient they profiled has to wear glasses that form a seal around each eye, too keep out dirt, and has to self lubricate each, since his tear ducts and such no longer work. One of the Docs they spoke with feels that they should raise the standards of which they accept patients, industry wide, rather then have more regulations

I happen to be in a group which has seen less success, and research, so im steering well clear of lasix for now. .

My wife had it done about a year ago and she loves it..changed her life for the better. Of course she may have to go back in several years to repeat the procedure but the whole thing lasted maybe 20 minutes. As the technology advances, the problems will naturally diminish. We save money in the long run because she ain't buying contacts and saline solution by the gallon anymore.

which group is that?

farsighted. a little more then most. I havent done much research on it lately, maybe there is more reliable stuff out there now, but last I checked, since there are less farsighted folks then near sighted, it wasnt as advanced.

NBC did another segment on it tonight,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#24314147

If it were me considering this, I would research it so much, I could write a book.

i had it done in March 2003 and have had no issues and absolutely no regrets.

Of course everyone's eyes are different, but you only get one set. If i have one thing to say about it? Do not do this on the cheap, if you do, you are asking for trouble. Use a good reputable surgeon and borrow if you have to - mine had 12 months at 0% financing.

You get an immediate discount (of whatever % bracket you are in) via tax break, if you itemize the medical expense - LASIK was deductible via IRS, when i had it. Check and see if it still is.

i didn't do a flexible spending account for the expense, because the itemization was exactly the same thing, and at that time, the cost was easily 7.2% of my AGI.

Conclusion: Changed my entire life; worth every penny; never regretted the decision; don't skimp on the surgeon.

Of course, if you wait a few years, they'll have the next new great technique that will be even better and safer.

Okay, the article is right...the surgery can be harmful, but only if you do not qualify for it, duh. You have to read for yourself and not just trust the doctors. Thankfully, the Military takes this seriously. They require the Docs to get second and third opinions.

Go for the PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy) surgery instead of Lasik. That's what I had done and no complaints...been 2 years now.

Here is a webby that compares them: http://www.docshop.com/education/vision/refractive/prk/

Honestly, neither surgery is something easy to think about...when you think about it. Lasik surgey rquires them to cut the top layer of cornea and lase under it...returning the top layer. This can cause many problems with that layer...things like boating and holding head out of window of car etc...can cause the flap to re-open.

PRK was more of a brutal surgery (again, only if you think about it...I felt nothing during the process). They use a brush and brush away the top layer of cornea, then lase you having to cover the area with heavy salve afterwards. The cornea grows back and viola, you have the best vision ever 20/15, no worries of flaps and the vision holds. Some halos for the first year, but nothing extreme like the article, oh and no doubles. I still have 20/15.

A little more FYI: I was close to disqualification. My corneas were borderline in thickness (almost too thin) to have the surgery. I had read-up on it already and knew that with my measurements, that I was in the "okay group." I went from Hood down to San Antonio, got a second opinion...then came back to Fort Hood and saw another Doc, they all agreed that I could safely have it. I have no complaints. The Army is trying to get away from Lasik, but will allow those that request it to have that it instead of PRK.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom