Last Dance... ESPN (1 Viewer)

Exactly, there’s a reason Michael Jordan is Michael Jordan and Derrick Coleman is Derrick Coleman. And it’s got very little to do with a difference in god-given talent.

Great point. Most of the great players back then were driven, and downright mean at times....it may make me not like some of the things they did but my respect for them never really wavered....

he just comes off as a pompous arse. doesn't mean i didn't respect as a player, just a person.

But would you not agree that "pompous" feel has more to do with your interpretation of his abilities and personal drive than his actual behavior off on/off the court?

I mean, dude didnt drink, smoked cigars later in life...dedicated his entire world to basketball/baseball/basketball. Was all in to achieve what very few strive to achieve. And then did it.

Sure, with that greatness comes some traits that some may consider "pompous", but when you look at the man as a whole, you dont see that as the guiding character trait. Its minimal and secondary to the things that stand out.

imo.

lol

But would you not agree that "pompous" feel has more to do with your interpretation of his abilities and personal drive than his actual behavior off on/off the court?

I mean, dude didnt drink, smoked cigars later in life...dedicated his entire world to basketball/baseball/basketball. Was all in to achieve what very few strive to achieve. And then did it.

Sure, with that greatness comes some traits that some may consider "pompous", but when you look at the man as a whole, you dont see that as the guiding character trait. Its minimal and secondary to the things that stand out.

imo.

lol
i dunno. when he was a player, his personality was perfect for the game.

i just think its time for him to lighten up lol

Ok my to favorite players of all time are Jordan and Bird. Love the Celtics and Bulls.

Want to piss off a Rockets fan? Tell them if Jordan didn't retire the Bulls would have won 8 in a row, lol.

As a fan, back in the day I was beyond P'Oed they dismantled the team. Thinking that let's go ahead and dismantle one of the greatest teams ever for the future when the Bulls could possibly have won two more championships was beyond dumb......how has that worked out for the Bulls since then? not good.

I am enjoying the series but every time I look at Krause I wanna force choke him through the TV.

My Junior year of college was the last season of the Bulls dynasty. one of my roommates came to me on Thursday and asked me to drive to Chicago for the weekend because he had an interview for an internship at a Landscape architecture firm for the summer. I didn't have classes on Friday so I said sure.

Well we were able to take in a Cubbies day game and it just so happened to be the Bulls final regular season home game. The firm he got the internship with had a private booth at the United Center. The guy asked if we wanted to go to the game, my buddy was not a big basketball fan was like no, we are cool, I don't think I ever slapped someone in the back of the head faster in my life.

Turned out they were the ones who designed and managed Jordan's Chicago area home and during the summer my buddy worked at his house several times. MJ had his own little driving range (net) and putting green. He said they would find his personalized golf balls in gardens all over the backyard. He grabbed me 8 of them. I will have to dig them out and take a picture of them.

Want to piss off a Rockets fan? Tell them if Jordan didn't retire the Bulls would have won 8 in a row, lol.

Even when Jordan wasn’t retired, the Bulls went 10-12 against the Rockets. I was at a few of those games. The Rockets were a bad matchup for them.

Even when Jordan wasn’t retired, the Bulls went 10-12 against the Rockets. I was at a few of those games. The Rockets were a bad matchup for them.
True, but that would have motivated Jordan in the Finals above all else against the Rockets.

Plus living in Houston for 17 years I loved messing with my neighbors who would lose their ever loving minds when I would bring this up, lol.

imo.

lol

He was a great (the best) and insanely driven player but was absolutely a jerk of the highest order.

I don’t say this as a character slight against Jordan and it doesn’t take anything away from his legendary work ethic. I just thought I’d mention this since the point was raised earlier. Jordan absolutely did drink and smoke cigars during his playing days.

What was terrible was that he publicly bullied and mocked people, sometimes for the pettiest of reasons (like Bill Cartwright, Toni Kukoc, his hall of fame speech, and more) He punched a teammate and cheated on his wife.

He’s the best player we’ve ever seen and there are certainly aspects of his determination and craft that are worthy of respect.

Having said that, there were some really bad aspects of his character and I’m not sure they were “minimal”.

True, but that would have motivated Jordan in the Finals above all else against the Rockets.

Plus living in Houston for 17 years I loved messing with my neighbors who would lose their ever loving minds when I would bring this up, lol.

Probably because it’s like going up to a Saints fan and saying, “Ya know, if the Patriots had kept Richard Seymour and If Teddy Bruschi and Harrison hadn’t retired, the Patriots would have won that one 2010 Superbowl.”

Gav, this is just my opinion, and maybe some others here will agree or disagree with me but people need to understand that those mid-90's Houston Rockets teams were loaded too with All-star and HOF talent. Harlem, Clyde Drexler, Kenny "Jet" Smith, Sam Cassel, Robert Horry and they had persevered and endured a lot of professional and personal shortcomings in years leading up to their back-to-back NBA Titles. Robert Horry even said that one time Micheal Jordan and Phil Jackson told him after a Bulls-rockets game in 1992 where Chicago lost that they both hoped they didn't have to see those guys again. Houston played a very aggressive front-court defense that was somewhat similar to what Detroit used in late 80s in their "Jordan Rules" defense except it involved Olujuwon constantly harassing Pippen and MJ once they both ran in the paint. Over the course of postseason games, that takes a toll on even great offensive players like 90s Bulls. There's a very good chance the 1993-94 Rockets beat MJ-led Bulls in the NBA Titles in 1994, maybe they do it again next year in 1994-95 season.

Gav, this is just my opinion, and maybe some others here will agree or disagree with me but people need to understand that those mid-90's Houston Rockets teams were loaded too with All-star and HOF talent. Harlem, Clyde Drexler, Kenny "Jet" Smith, Sam Cassel, Robert Horry and they had persevered and endured a lot of professional and personal shortcomings in years leading up to their back-to-back NBA Titles. Robert Horry even said that one time Micheal Jordan and Phil Jackson told him after a Bulls-rockets game in 1992 where Chicago lost that they both hoped they didn't have to see those guys again. Houston played a very aggressive front-court defense that was somewhat similar to what Detroit used in late 80s in their "Jordan Rules" defense except it involved Olujuwon constantly harassing Pippen and MJ once they both ran in the paint. Over the course of postseason games, that takes a toll on even great offensive players like 90s Bulls. There's a very good chance the 1993-94 Rockets beat MJ-led Bulls in the NBA Titles in 1994, maybe they do it again next year in 1994-95 season.

Yeah the Rockets were built to play the Bulls. They had a much harder time against teams like the Spurs and Suns. I remember watching Vernon Maxwell and Michael Jordan go at it, that was some epic stuff.

well, suns weren't very defensive, even with barkley, though the suns should have been a serious contender. only a piece or two from domination (as seen after the bulls run).

spurs were talented, though mostly inexperienced, enough to have challenged the bulls. robinson, granted not a popular opinion, was far superior to olajuwon. he did everything efficiently, on a team with zero support.

spurs with robo and duncan, would have been a much tougher opponent until they built their legacy late 90s/2000s.

actually, a purely 90s dominant team,

olajuwon
duncan
pippen (<3 and would make sweet love to)
jordan (without any question)
stockton (without a doubt, the greatest ever)

not sure why this series is so popular.

so far, there has been no new information from being a heavy 90s fan of the nba.

i guess for nostalgia purposes, it is fantastic.

any 90s nba fan should not be surprised by any of the dumbassness of this (doctored) documentary.

i quit watching a few weeks back.

not sure why this series is so popular.

so far, there has been no new information from being a heavy 90s fan of the nba.

i guess for nostalgia purposes, it is fantastic.

any 90s nba fan should not be surprised by any of the dumbassness of this (doctored) documentary.

i quit watching a few weeks back.

I kind of feel the same way. Nothing shocking to me but I think the younger folks are getting a good look at how different the game was back then, which, to me is a good thing....but for me it is definitely more a nostalgic trip....

97633592_10217783525565608_9057206903293083648_n.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom