Last night proved my outlook on Samuels... (1 Viewer)

Saints addic

Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Every time he was in man coverage he was beat. He will get a huge payday from someone, but I dont think he would fit well here. Don't get me wrong, I would welcome him if he came, just don't expect 10 ints and him being a shutdown corner. I just feel teams tend to pick on him when hes matched up one on one outside. He thrives and makes more plays on the ball (gambles alot) when they play zone and have safety help over the top. He will cost big bucks...and if we did get him, my guess 4 games into the season, alot of people here will be asking ourselves why we over spent for this.

Amen... that's why I have not yet once endorsed Samuel as our primary FA CB target... i'd prefer Trufant, or trying to swing a trade for Deangelo hall... highly unlikely that ATL would trade in the div, but a man can dream can't he?

If we can't fill the CB need in FA, then CB will probably be our focus in rounds 1 and 2.

All my opinion...

If the Pats break the bank to keep Asante, we should make a move on the man opposite him last night, Randall Gay.
Louisiana born, went to LSU, and has regularly featured in the Pats defense since. He is only 25, earned last night's start over Ellis Hobbs, and is still on the tender he signed as an UDFA.
If the Pats have any sense they will keep Gay, let Asante walk and draft a CB, but Belichek may want to retain as many starters as possible, and Gay was Hobb's backup until the end of the season. He impressed me a lot more than Samuel last night and would come a lot cheaper. Drayton Florence is a great athlete too, and I wouldn't mind him either.

If the Pats break the bank to keep Asante, we should make a move on the man opposite him last night, Randall Gay.
Louisiana born, went to LSU, and has regularly featured in the Pats defense since. He is only 25, earned last night's start over Ellis Hobbs, and is still on the tender he signed as an UDFA.
If the Pats have any sense they will keep Gay, let Asante walk and draft a CB, but Belichek may want to retain as many starters as possible, and Gay was Hobb's backup until the end of the season. He impressed me a lot more than Samuel last night and would come a lot cheaper. Drayton Florence is a great athlete too, and I wouldn't mind him either.

Gay got the start because he's 2 inches taller than Hobbs and Hobbs has a tweaked groin, it was all in the game plan and not a knock on Hobbs or a promotion to Gay. Belichick thought that Hobbs could be better served playing nickel against their tall receivers and it also gave him an opportunity to rest the groin a bit as he probably has to cover Wayne next week.

Gay got the start because he's 2 inches taller than Hobbs and Hobbs has a tweaked groin, it was all in the game plan and not a knock on Hobbs or a promotion to Gay. Belichick thought that Hobbs could be better served playing nickel against their tall receivers and it also gave him an opportunity to rest the groin a bit as he probably has to cover Wayne next week.
The British Sky Sports broadcasters said Belichek had made the decision because Gay earned the start. Sorry then, I'm not a Pats fan.
As a Pats fan, do you think they will keep Gay, and would the Saints have a shot at him?
I know a bit about him but have not seen him a lot. He looked very good last night.

Let's start with your pointing out the plays that Samuel was in pure man coverage. I saw him scurrying a few times to reach WRs before and after they had exited his zone. If he were beaten just half the times he was in man coverage this season, then he probably wouldn't be starting. Even in a man scheme, the CB will gamble more when he trusts that the S will back him. Meriweather is a youngster with issues, but Harrison is usually in a more CB friendly position.

[ Meriweather is a youngster with issues, but Harrison is usually in a more CB friendly position.[/QUOTE]

He doesnt start....And this OPINION isnt just from last night.

The British Sky Sports broadcasters said Belichek had made the decision because Gay earned the start. Sorry then, I'm not a Pats fan.
As a Pats fan, do you think they will keep Gay, and would the Saints have a shot at him?
I know a bit about him but have not seen him a lot. He looked very good last night.

I'd assume they'll try to keep him, he's good in the Pats system but I don't think he's much more than a nickel corner. With Samuel most likely leaving (if there's any justice in the world his performance last night cost him about 3 million dollars) the Pats will probably want to keep Gay around for a spot start if needed, or to start a few games and break in a rook. Gay did start a Superbowl opposite Samuel and get burned by TO all night, not that that is a huge deal, it's TO and the Pats won, but he's also been on IR the past 2 seasons, I think most of us were amazed he got through this year healthy.

Let's start with your pointing out the plays that Samuel was in pure man coverage. I saw him scurrying a few times to reach WRs before and after they had exited his zone. If he were beaten just half the times he was in man coverage this season, then he probably wouldn't be starting. Even in a man scheme, the CB will gamble more when he trusts that the S will back him. Meriweather is a youngster with issues, but Harrison is usually in a more CB friendly position.

Meriweather has played very well the last few weeks, stone hands aside, hopefully he can work on that. Samuel got burned last night, safety help or not, that TD he gave up was unacceptable for a guy who wants to get paid the money he wants. He's actually given up more TDs than Hobbs this year.

I like Hobbs, but I didn't notice Samuel giving up that many TDs. I was questioning the "Every time I see him in man coverage, he was beat." comment about Samuel. I was also vouching for Meriweather a couple days ago, and again, I'm sure he'll come into his own next season. Glazer & PF weekly like Samuel a little better than Asomugha and Trufant, I'd be grateful for any of them. Even though I'm sure that we can dig up shaky games of each CB this season...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7592192

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Free+Agency/2007/topten2219.htm

Last edited:
Every time he was in man coverage he was beat. He will get a huge payday from someone, but I dont think he would fit well here.

I noticed the same thing.. like a friggin' drum!! & that is exactly why I feel that the focus for the FIRST f/a to be brought in, not just for a looksy but with a fat contract, should definetly be Trufant.. get him in the Black-n-Gold asap!!.. In fact i'd sleep a whole lot better if as soon as the clock started for free-agency that a ticker would go by on NFL Network stating that the "New Orleans Saints have come to terms with f/a Marcus Trufant formerly of the Seattle Seahawks".. just gotta like the ring of that.. *smile*

NWSaint.

I think Trufant should be at the top of our FA list.

Samuels is a zone defender, just like Jason David. If we try to force him into a man scheme, we'll have the same results as we did with J. David. Personally, I like Nnamdi Asomugha.

Samuels is a zone defender, just like Jason David. If we try to force him into a man scheme, we'll have the same results as we did with J. David. Personally, I like Nnamdi Asomugha.

Are you kidding?

Did you really just compare Asante Samuel to Jason David?

There is nothing similar about them at all, there is NO comparison.

Nnamdi Asomugha will remain a Raider.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom