Last pick, Kawaan Baker, WR Southern Alabama (2 Viewers)

Tried to link a walterootball bio on him but he’s not listed in their top 52 from what I saw. Gonna have to Google him.

He looks very quick for his size and has some impressive catches on his highlights, including some one-handers. For a 7th rounder, seems like a great pick.

Frrom nfl.com prospects:

Under-the-radar wideout with explosive athleticism and experience to play inside or outside. Baker crushed his pro day with outstanding speed and leaping numbers to go with a huge set of hands. His 1.49-second 10-yard split verifies the tape, as Baker plays with electric acceleration that can help him race past press corners or take a short throw and turn it into a long touchdown. He's a fluid athlete with natural feet and is developing a feel for separation inside his routes, even though there is more work to do. His ball-tracking is solid, but his hands are very average. Baker hasn't seen pro-caliber cornerbacks, so an adjustment will be necessary, but he has the traits and talent to be considered one of the sleepers of this draft.

You know what would tie this whole draft together. The signing of Richard Sherman. If Saints get him, then this draft will look really good.

Im sure he would love to mentor a fellow Stanford alum in Adebo

I live 5 minutes from USA. This is the school where the players were second string on most 6A/7A high school teams. It is akin to Dollar General. Family Dollar. When you really wanted to work at a hedge fund on Wall Street. Tickets are not sold. People walk into the stadium and sit where they choose. I could go on and on. It is not the JV high school game on a Thursday afternoon. It is the freshman game during 6th period on Monday. But yeah, considering this draft, he MAY be our best pick. And I am NOT being facetious (had to google my spelling on that one)

I’m thinking they drafted him for special teams help.

The one thing all the WRs currently on the roster have in common is that they all exceled with deep/50-50 passes in their college tape.

I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of baiting with our usual WC-styled offense, but teams can't sit on short routes anymore with QBs like Winston or Hill who both have capable arms or WRs like Harris just waiting for a DB to bite on the wrong route and leaving them in the dust.

Yeah, the shot plays were a feature of Payton's offense for years, but I think the last couple/few years they cut down on them because Brees's arm wasn't quite strong enough to throw deep with real accuracy. I expect we see the shot play back in the offense. Especially if Winston starts. Also, as you noted, Calloway and TQS are both guys that were very good deep receivers in college.

Remember that UDFA out of Hofstra that we picked up years ago?

We have a habit of finding diamonds in the late rounds and UDFA's. Let's see what he can do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom