Last pick, Kawaan Baker, WR Southern Alabama (1 Viewer)

With 10 3/4" hands, he might literally have the largest hands for a WR in the league or close to it. I don't think there is currently any WRs with 11" hands. He can be taught to catch better. Colston didn't have the best hands when he came in the league. Devery got better over the years as well. He should do a 10K balls summer.
Same with Ginn.

Out of the 3 primary WR positions the Saints utilize, which position do you think Jonathan Adams would play? He's primarily an X and Y, but doesn't have the top end speed to be a Z. Z was the position of need as we have depth at X with MT as the primary X, Callaway as the backup and TQS can also play X. We had no true Z. Harris was our fastest WR, now it's Harris then Baker. Baker will slide in an play Z pushing TQS/Callaway to play Y and MT at X. Now we have depth at X since we have a true Z. When you add the right player for the right position in the offense it makes a big difference. If you add Adams just because, then you are just adding another WR to the end of the roster who would be behind Callaway and TQS.

He models his game after Deebo Samuel and is very similar to Devery in build and speed. He also has plenty of rushing TDs. Devery got a few rushing attempts in the NFL, but Devery was also a converted RB. KB is our new Devery.

Devery Henderson is about as different from Deebo Samuel that a player can get. One was a deep threat that's limited underneath, and the other is a beast around the line of scrimmage and on short passes. So I find Baker comparing himself to Deebo Samuel, and best lined up in the slot to be interesting to say the least. He believes his a tough WRs who will break tackles...not a deep threat guy. The problem is that Deebo Samuel and everyone WR of his kind that are successful have incredibly strong hands. They catch the football with this hands...fight with opposing defenders...and then they break tackles. I couldn't find great film of Baker catching the football with his hands or winning a bunch of contested passes.

I watched USA once this season. You missed an entertaining offense if you did not walk over and see them.
He is only the second player ever drafted from the school. To go from USA to stick to an NFL team would be a heroic feat. But diamonds in the rough can be found everywhere. We have found more than most NFL teams. We will see. I hope this draft class makes us all (or maybe just me) feel dumb.

He is only the second player ever drafted from the school. To go from USA to stick to an NFL team would be a heroic feat. But diamonds in the rough can be found everywhere. We have found more than most NFL teams. We will see. I hope this draft class makes us all (or maybe just me) feel dumb.
USA has only been playing football for ten years and they beat the stuffing out of USM in 2020. USM is not big time but they usually put one guy a year into the NFL... Tavariius Moore, Ito Smith, Cameron Tom....so I wouldn’t say USA precludes anybody from making the league.

Out of the 3 primary WR positions the Saints utilize, which position do you think Jonathan Adams would play? He's primarily an X and Y, but doesn't have the top end speed to be a Z. Z was the position of need as we have depth at X with MT as the primary X, Callaway as the backup and TQS can also play X. We had no true Z. Harris was our fastest WR, now it's Harris then Baker. Baker will slide in an play Z pushing TQS/Callaway to play Y and MT at X. Now we have depth at X since we have a true Z. When you add the right player for the right position in the offense it makes a big difference. If you add Adams just because, then you are just adding another WR to the end of the roster who would be behind Callaway and TQS.

He models his game after Deebo Samuel and is very similar to Devery in build and speed. He also has plenty of rushing TDs. Devery got a few rushing attempts in the NFL, but Devery was also a converted RB. KB is our new Devery.
I think that your comp is a bit Flawed.

Baker is most similar in size and playing style to Robert Meachem than he is to Devery Henderson.

Devery also measured small hands at 8.75". Meachem's were 9"+.

Meachem was 2 inches taller but Baker's arms arms are 2 inches longer.

Compare their 10 and 20 yard pro day splits. Nearly identical at about 210lbs.

Also compare their Verticals and broad jumps.

Meachem might have had a good 3 cone but he was a far worse route runner than his good time would indicate.

Baker seems to be pretty good after the catch and a wide body to gain YAC in the slot like Debo Samuel but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up playing a ton of X like Meachem did at Split end.

Attachments

• robert-meachem-ras-7978.png
    robert-meachem-ras-7978.png
    33 KB · Views: 25
  • E0VjEgxWEAEAptp.png
    E0VjEgxWEAEAptp.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 25
I think that your comp is a bit Flawed.

Baker is most similar in size and playing style to Robert Meachem than he is to Devery Henderson.

Devery also measured small hands at 8.75". Meachem's were 9"+.

Meachem was 2 inches taller but Baker's arms arms are 2 inches longer.

Compare their 10 and 20 yard pro day splits. Nearly identical at about 210lbs.

Also compare their Verticals and broad jumps.

Meachem might have had a good 3 cone but he was a far worse route runner than his good time would indicate.

Baker seems to be pretty good after the catch and a wide body to gain YAC in the slot like Debo Samuel but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up playing a ton of X like Meachem did at Split end.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I didn't really look at the Meachem/Baker comparison since Meachem is a full 2" taller. I went at it from the Devery at the Z and since when they drafted him the Saints only had 2 (Harris/McCleskey), he made the 3rd WR with sub 4.45 speed. The addition of Winston now gives them 4.

So you see Baker playing MT's position at X?

I am intrigued with whatever SP decides to do with him. I do like that he molds his game after Deebo. Between the attacking defense and hopefully physical offense, I'd like to see them start beating up on teams.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I didn't really look at the Meachem/Baker comparison since Meachem is a full 2" taller. I went at it from the Devery at the Z and since when they drafted him the Saints only had 2 (Harris/McCleskey), he made the 3rd WR with sub 4.45 speed. The addition of Winston now gives them 4.

So you see Baker playing MT's position at X?

I am intrigued with whatever SP decides to do with him. I do like that he molds his game after Deebo. Between the attacking defense and hopefully physical offense, I'd like to see them start beating up on teams.
I was always under the impression that MT was the flanker (z).

Meachem played heavy x (split end/deep threat) when he was with the team.

He is definitely similar in build and size to Deebo but his 10 and 20 yard splits more resembles a guy like Meachem and D.K. Metcalf.

I think that Jerry Jeudy had a similar 10 yard split last year as well.

Attachments

• deebo-samuel-ras-17680.png
    deebo-samuel-ras-17680.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 22
  • D0sa3Q6XQAAGbVK.png
    D0sa3Q6XQAAGbVK.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 22
With 10 3/4" hands, he might literally have the largest hands for a WR in the league or close to it. I don't think there is currently any WRs with 11" hands. He can be taught to catch better. Colston didn't have the best hands when he came in the league. Devery got better over the years as well. He should do a 10K balls summer.
Willie Snead, MT and JuJuan Johnson also have 10"+ hands.

MT and Johnson having 10.5" hands.

Willie Snead, MT and JuJuan Johnson also have 10"+ hands.

MT and Johnson having 10.5" hands.

Yeah, I know they have 10+ and Baker's hands are larger than all of them. I'd have to dig into all of the data to see who has the largest hands for a WR in the league.

I was always under the impression that MT was the flanker (z).

Meachem played heavy x (split end/deep threat) when he was with the team.

He is definitely similar in build and size to Deebo but his 10 and 20 yard splits more resembles a guy like Meachem and D.K. Metcalf.

I think that Jerry Jeudy had a similar 10 yard split last year as well.

Our Zs have been Henderson, Meachem, Cooks and Ginn for the most part. Ginn was the last true Z we had. Colston was our X and now MT. IIRC, Colston started in the slot and Horn was the X for 2006, then Colston from 2007-2015 and MT 2016-present.

Yeah, I know they have 10+ and Baker's hands are larger than all of them. I'd have to dig into all of the data to see who has the largest hands for a WR in the league.
There was a kid from coastal Carolina several years ago who had 11" hands who played for either the Bengals or the Vikings a few years ago.

Can't remember his name off the top of my head.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom