Last play of the game question (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Panthers attempt to create something with laterals, ends up a fumble recovery for Robertson.

They get flagged for illegal forward pass. The penalty is declined......the ball bounced before the fumble recovery, so isn't that simply an incompletion?

It's a minor thing (maybe not to Robertson) but it stuck with me.

Jim

An illegal forward pass can neither be complete or incomplete. It's an automatic 10 yard penalty. The Saints were golden whether they declined
or accepted. If they had accepted, there would have been a 10 second run off,time would have expired,and we still win.

Only one pass is allowed per play. The play started with a completion and then the laterals started. The ball was pitched forward which is a penalty and saints recovered the ball. Fumble recovery on an illegal forward lateral and the clock ran out.

The whole rugby-style emergency-lateral kind of play is now obsolete. Just throw a Hail Mary pass, and you get a 33% chance of a PI call in the end zone.

It looked to me that the ball went forward because he got hit when he tried to lateral it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I thought for sure they were going to throw the Hail Mary. The way our defense been getting PI flags throughout the game, they would probably have received another one. That would have put them in field goal range. That was a bad coaching decision on Rivera's part.

Here's the official play-by-play listing from NFL.com

2-10-CAR 25
:)05) (Shotgun) 1-C.Newton pass short right to 13-K.Benjamin to CAR 30 for 5 yards. Lateral to 10-C.Brown to CAR 35 for 5 yards (54-N.Stupar). FUMBLES (54-N.Stupar), RECOVERED by NO-52-C.Robertson at CAR 40. 52-C.Robertson pushed ob at CAR 35 for 5 yards (43-F.Whittaker). Penalty on CAR-10-C.Brown, Illegal Forward Pass, declined.

So apparently Robertson gets credit for a fumble recovery.

The whole rugby-style emergency-lateral kind of play is now obsolete. Just throw a Hail Mary pass, and you get a 33% chance of a PI call in the end zone.

I noticed something in that game with our multiple PIs in the end zone. The opponent should get the ball on the one yard line for those penalties but they kept getting it at about the 2.5 yard line. The old PAT spot

I wonder what the real percentage of hail mary's end in PI. It seems to me that every deep pass is PI but they hardly call it at the end of the game, especially during the jump hail mary's.

But I do agree with you, I feel you have a much better chance with a hail mary than you do with the lateral game.

They would've had a better chance launching that ball as far as they could...and then waiting on the phantom pass interference call.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom