Last time we played the Bengals (2 Viewers)

hardhead you are right about the falcons tie breaker I don't remember who they played though. The Carolina game was the famous WE WANT JAKE! game. I remember having a bad feeling in my stomach for literally weeks after that season. The day after it ends Hasslett is on ESPN News saying Aaron will have off season surgery to reaatach the bicep muscle on his throwing arm. Here's to 2006 though those days are gone now

I just checked the NFL.com the final score was 20-13, I knew somewhere there was a 13.....Also that loss to Carolina the next week was terrible as well, I specifically remember the offense being even worse then the Bengels game and Brooks throwing the game losing touchdown with the final seconds ticking down and going over right after the game was over shaking the guys hand, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.....:no:

Also I can't remember but I think the Falcons were playing the Browns and if they(Falcons) lost and we won we would've made it and I think the Falcons lost and we lost and they had a tie breaker......Don't remember exactly but I thought it was something like that.....

I might have the Bengels game mixed up with the Panthers game don't know...:)

The Falcons were 9-6-1 (They tied with the Steelers @ Pittsburgh) and the Saints were 9-7. Because of that tie, Atlanta were able to sneak in.

yeah we lost to all the bad teams that year, Lions,Bengals,Panthers, Vikings and beat up on Bucs,Rams, Packers weird we was 6-1 at one point I think and 9-4... I hate thinking about it.

hardhead you are right about the falcons tie breaker I don't remember who they played though. The Carolina game was the famous WE WANT JAKE! game. I remember having a bad feeling in my stomach for literally weeks after that season. The day after it ends Hasslett is on ESPN News saying Aaron will have off season surgery to reaatach the bicep muscle on his throwing arm. Here's to 2006 though those days are gone now

Yep, "We want Jake" I remember it very well......One thing that even further sealed my opinion of Brooks, was I will swear on my grandmothers grave, but in the the locker room post game interview with Kenny Wiklkeson after I had got in my car and was leaving, Wilkerson asked Brooks about the last consecutive 4 game meltdowns at the end of the last two seasons and about the fans chanting "we want jake" and did he think that the fans had a right to be upset and chanting Jakes name. I remember he said the fans shouldn't be too dissapointed because he had set the franchise record in TD's and yards passing.........I was like what the .....F#@K:no: ...I also remember him saying something almost exactly like that after that 49'ers loss(the 1st 4 game meltdown) the year before(01) when he had broke Everett's record at the time and right before he signed the big contract....Looking back now I honestly don't think he cared very much about winning it was moreso for the money, that's the only thing I can say....

Another thing i remember was haslett criticizing the hometown fans for that and he said something like "In Green bay they don't do those types of things" and what do you know low and behold I was watching Green Bay in the playoffs a week later and Farve was having such a bad game, in THE 1ST QUARTER mind you, the fans started booing him off the field......I was thinking to myself I wonder what Haslett thinks about that. I thought Green bay fans never do things like that....Jerk....

Last edited:
that....season.....sucked. 200+ yards he had.

and i vomited when culpepper killed us.

There's a highlight video of it on the Saints website at the Multimedia center.

Watching a 3rd stringer running the ball down our throats (so much so that we eventually had to let him score so that we would have enough time for a potential scoring drive of our own) was without a doubt the lowlight of my time as a Saints fan (I was to young to fully remember the playoff collapses).

That moment replaced my previous lowlight, which happened a week before when Culpepper DRIBBLED the ball into the end zone on the two point try.

That season was a tale of two seasons... we started off the year with a hard schedule that no one gave us a chance to survive and started 6-1, with the lone loss coming to the Lions in Joey Harringtons first start (he torched us and never looked good again, go figure) and then we headed into the second half of the season with such a cupcake schedule that everyone said we were a lock to make the playoffs (our lone quality win was against Tampa on SNF, Jake Delhomme audibled into a pass play on 3rd and 4 because he saw single coverage on Joe Horn and iced the game on his only pass attempt of the year).

You guys know the rest of the story.

Watching a 3rd stringer running the ball down our throats (so much so that we eventually had to let him score so that we would have enough time for a potential scoring drive of our own) was without a doubt the lowlight of my time as a Saints fan (I was to young to fully remember the playoff collapses).

That moment replaced my previous lowlight, which happened a week before when Culpepper DRIBBLED the ball into the end zone on the two point try.

That season was a tale of two seasons... we started off the year with a hard schedule that no one gave us a chance to survive and started 6-1, with the lone loss coming to the Lions in Joey Harringtons first start (he torched us and never looked good again, go figure) and then we headed into the second half of the season with such a cupcake schedule that everyone said we were a lock to make the playoffs (our lone quality win was against Tampa on SNF, Jake Delhomme audibled into a pass play on 3rd and 4 because he saw single coverage on Joe Horn and iced the game on his only pass attempt of the year).

You guys know the rest of the story.

On point, I was also at that Chicago game when we played them in Champaigne, I visited some friends from Chicago and man what a game, we were down 20-0 before I knew it, Bears fans were giving me so much hell. Then you know the rest of the story. Stallpepper on a 30 yd out for a TD to go ahead, then Knight's INT sealed the deal.

I must say I didn't hear anything walking out. All I kept telling them was they'd better get a new QB in FA and his name is Jake Delhomme, a bunch of people laughed at me when I said that....

Still I couldn't believe we bombed out for the 2nd straight year....I think we were the only team to start out 7-2 and miss the playoffs, something like that, if we weren;t the only ones then it was like one other team....All I know is you're right we've always seem to set new records, but not the good ones..:ezbill:

Who cares about all those stupid ESPN obscure stats anyway...:dunno:

The earliest playoff loss I remember was the Eagles I remember me being in the other room and my grandpa walking in shaking his head saying they lost, I remember the Bears loss very well, I was about 11, I cried and cursed Mike Ditka that day......

...our lone quality win was against Tampa on SNF, Jake Delhomme audibled into a pass play on 3rd and 4 because he saw single coverage on Joe Horn and iced the game on his only pass attempt of the year...

Actually, Jake played the entire second half the following week at Baltimore. We were up 20-7 at half, and Brooks had thrown a TD pass to Stallworth. When Jake started the 3rd quarter, that's when I think we all knew for certain something wasn't right with Brooks' arm. Jake had a nice second half (IIRC he only missed on one or two passes and we won easily), but back comes Brooks the following week against Minnesota. :banghead:

The killer part of that season was even after the losses to terrible Minnesota and Cincy teams, we still had a shot at the playoffs if we beat the 0-15 (? 1-14) Carolina Panthers. I remember being in the dome at that Carolina game, and the scoreboard controller refused to show the Atlanta @ Cleveland score, until Atlanta was losing in the 4th quarter. Everyone in my section started yelling -"LOOK AT THE SCOREBOARD!"
We win, we're in, but couldn't even muster a TD in that game. Panthers 10 Saints 6.... everyone went home sad.
Very low point, indeed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom