Latavius Murray running style (1 Viewer)

Bartyboy

60's Saints fan
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have read that people mention Murray's running style.
They say he runs to upright.
I have googled his highlights and can't see any significant difference in how high he runs vs his height compared to other RBs.
Now remember Murray is about 6 inches taller than Ingram.
What do you think?
Is he really running more upright or is he just a tall RB at 6'3"?

I have read that people mention Murray's running style.
They say he runs to upright.
I have googled his highlights and can't see any significant difference in how high he runs vs his height compared to other RBs.
Now remember Murray is about 6 inches taller than Ingram.
What do you think?
Is he really running more upright or is he just a tall RB at 6'3"?
Definitely runs upright. North to South runner/1 cut gunner. I don’t think there is a problem with a RB that runs upright. Heck, some of the best RBs in history had an upright running style.

On the quick tape I watched of him today, I was starkly reminded of Ingram's running style (a bit, it wasn't a perfect mirror). His height is definitely something different. Put that with him running upright and that means he's gotta learn to be shifty, because he's gonna get hit and grabbed. There's no diving for him. But it also makes him a great target in the passing game.

I just don't see it. I've watched a few RBs and don't see them as running less upright. He extends his upper body at times before contact. His upper body is slightly forward in the open field at the same angle as other runners.

Here’s Murray’s own take on his style of running and play:

“I’m a downhill runner, one cut and go, I try not to do too much dancing. I like to think I have a nose for the end zone and I know how to protect the quarterback and catch the ball when it’s thrown to me. I think when you can do all those things, you’re able to have success at my position.”

IMO, It’s a good self assessment, consistent with wat I saw in his vids.

Too upright or not, he’s been a pretty decent/productive RB as a pro. In the last 4 seasons, he’s averaged 4.0 ypc and 8 TDs.

If he can bring that to the table here, I think we’ll b fine.

On a side note:

Hope we can sign Jared Cook. IMO, a legit pass catching TE take can this O to dat “scary good” level!

When you're 6'3"... How else is he gonna run? Horizontal?
1516229462188.gif

"Runs upright" used to be a knock on a rb in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust days of the NFL, it's not anymore because many rbs have made it work for them, La'veon Bell runs standing straight up. Murray is a very strong runner and kinda sheads tackles. Kind of like the way a LB should shead blocks. He's good at only giving a tackler a portion of his body so he can use his strength to shead tackles.

Not worried about how he runs, he's fine. He is a big body and I like that, he's great in pass protection. He is a between the tackles runner. He isn't going to run many stretch plays or try to beat people to the outside. I think Ingram was a little better all around rusher, but Murray has his areas of positives as well.

Remember that even with a totally different style, Ingram and Kamara are more or less the same size.

Murray is bigger at 6,3, 230. I don't think he will explode as often as Ingram, but still will be a great compliment to Kamara.

One important thing is that at his time at Oakland and Minnesota, Murray had to share the backfield. He also played great facing us with both his prior teams.

With the Vikings, he was the complementary back to Cook. He will be playing the same role in New Orleans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom