Latavius Murray running style (1 Viewer)

Man, I just don't like tall RB's. They take too much punishment, and don't have the suddenness that great RB's need. Eric Dickerson and a few other tall ones were good, but most of the greats were 5-8 to 5-10.

Murray style of running through the Oline is very dangerous to me. He runs upright but with the new NFL it doesnt matter. Long as he get first downs and TD all that matters at this point.

I think Murray does run too tall, but its because he is tall. I totally understand the Deuce comp, but Murray lacks the ferocity, pure power & punishing run finishing ability Deuce had. To me, Murray running style is that of a Hulked out COP back. He’s really shifty, fast through the allies, & has the burst to eat up yards in the open field. Murray’s over 6ft 220 but he really reminds me a lot of Austin Ecklar. Id much rather have Mark but i think we wont miss him too much on the field w/Murray. The locker room & off the field is 1000000% where Mark’s absence will be felt.

I think he'll be able to have success in a zone scheme. One thing that jumps out to me is that he sees hole, hits hole. He's not dancing around much. He makes his one cut and he's upfield.

Based on what I've seen from Murray the thing that frustrates me is that he's easy to bring down at times. For a guy with that size and speed you'd think he'd be hell on earth to bring down but he isn't.

Last season Murray had 18 broken tackles on 162 touches for a 11.1% broken tackles per touch rate. Compare that to little Tarik Cohen who at 5'8", 180lbs was able to record double the amount of broken tackles with a similar amount of touches:

Tarik Cohen - 37 broken tackles, 170 touches, 21.8%

And just fyi:

Mark Ingram - 24 broken tackles, 159 touches, 15.1%
That gets back to strength. If you can't break tackles, you must elude them. I saw in one video that over ran his downfield blockers gathering than being patient

When you're 6'3"... How else is he gonna run? Horizontal?

If he can improve on his cuts and elusiveness. He probably fit well with our offense.
Well, IF he CAN and DOES improve his Route running and become EXACT at that portion of his game? I’ll take his ability to break the first tackle and get ganged up on in the secondary and having that big of a man running free after a drop off pass into the flats or even in the middle would strike a bit of trepidation into ANY DBs or LBs mind about where and how to take him on at full speed, Go Low I imagine but what if he has good feet and can practice his evasiveness? He will be golden in my book! Mark did give the ball away a bit much, I would never call him a fumbler as some have but he’s no Pierre Thomas either ! Mark may have fumbled about as much as Reggie but shouldn’t have given his strength, IMHO. I look forward to what Murray can bring to a TEAM who already has Alvin Kamara as a STAR RB!

For some of the more veteran Saints fans out there... those that suffered through the mid ‘90’s Saints teams, and haven’t suppressed and extinguished those memories... Latavius Murray reminds me of Mario Bates.

Don't tell Lorenzo Neal

Well, IF he CAN and DOES improve his Route running and become EXACT at that portion of his game? I’ll take his ability to break the first tackle and get ganged up on in the secondary and having that big of a man running free after a drop off pass into the flats or even in the middle would strike a bit of trepidation into ANY DBs or LBs mind about where and how to take him on at full speed, Go Low I imagine but what if he has good feet and can practice his evasiveness? He will be golden in my book! Mark did give the ball away a bit much, I would never call him a fumbler as some have but he’s no Pierre Thomas either ! Mark may have fumbled about as much as Reggie but shouldn’t have given his strength, IMHO. I look forward to what Murray can bring to a TEAM who already has Alvin Kamara as a STAR RB!

Good write up thx. One thing I noticed about Murray in his vids is his ability to simply avoid tacklers going after his lower legs. He just seems to quick step aside or quickly move out of those tackles. In his vids, I seldom saw him get taken down with tackles below the knees.

He runs like Demarco Murray...he runs under his pads but at 6'3 that not exactly a low to the ground runner compared to a 5'9 Mark Ingram.

To be honest, how do we know that Mark wasn't a product of a system? I love Ingram for his character, but Murray is bigger, faster, and quicker. I know stats don't say the whole thing, but based on combine results alone, Murray beats Ingram in every category. Insert Murray into the Saints' O, and let's see what happens.

Mainly, I'm just addressing the people who are saying signing Murray was a downgrade. You have to at the very least give Murray a chance.

For some of the more veteran Saints fans out there... those that suffered through the mid ‘90’s Saints teams, and haven’t suppressed and extinguished those memories... Latavius Murray reminds me of Mario Bates.
A more coordinated version of Mario Bates. Mario had too much Urkel in him.

You will like Latavius as a runner. Not much of a pass-catcher.
He's not a #1 back but a solid #2 guy.

You will like Latavius as a runner. Not much of a pass-catcher.
He's not a #1 back but a solid #2 guy.

Thanks for the info. What happened to Cousins last year for you guys? I thought that was a SB level move for the Vikes. Was it all on Cousins, or scheme, or O-line protection, or???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom