Late 80-Early 90 NBA....... (1 Viewer)

I think the league is much more talented from top to bottom now than decades ago, and the difference between the winners and losers is narrower now.

It's all ultimately subjective though, so doing cross generational comparisons are pretty much impossible to do.

That said, we love making comparisons, so we will.

I don't disagree at all, especially when talking about specific teams and players from different generations (which wasn't my initial aim).

To me though, there is subjectivity, and then there is painting one era in an overwhelmingly positive light, and then using every negative stereotype (no matter how inaccurate) to describe the other.

Where I'm coming from is that the quality of the game today is not what it was back in the 80's through the mid-late 90's.

Of course it is a different game today, the refs (and the NBA) have taken most of the physicality out of the game. Some like that and I understand it, offensive basketball can be very exciting to watch. Others (like me) miss the game I grew up with, the rivalries, the physical play....

The argument of best team of all time is literally impossible to even make sense out of because the 86 Celtics, 87 Lakers and 98 Bulls were playing a completely different game than the modern day Warriors....

It is fun to discuss but there is no way to prove who is right or wrong....

I’m not trying to make this a right or wrong. I liked basketball then. I didn’t like it for a while. I like it again now.

I’m just trying to see where all the iso ball is that you are seeing because I don’t see it personally. I’m not trying to convince you that you should like today’s nba or anything.

but for discussion purposes I was trying to get some examples of players and teams for clarity. Maybe you think a two-man set is a prelude to an iso And there’s not a ton of ball movement there. Just as an example.

I enjoyed the physicality, too. I don’t care for a lot of the whining for calls. I dont really care for iso ball. Just for the record.

I’m not trying to make this a right or wrong. I liked basketball then. I didn’t like it for a while. I like it again now.

I’m just trying to see where all the iso ball is that you are seeing because I don’t see it personally. I’m not trying to convince you that you should like today’s nba or anything.

but for discussion purposes I was trying to get some examples of players and teams for clarity. Maybe you think a two-man set is a prelude to an iso And there’s not a ton of ball movement there. Just as an example.

I enjoyed the physicality, too. I don’t care for a lot of the whining for calls. I dont really care for iso ball. Just for the record.

I confess I don't watch it as often as most of you guys that are still fans, I generally watch it when my son has it on, so maybe I'm just seeing more iso play at the time I'm watching it?

What I almost never see is the ball never hitting the floor type of sequences....

You’re talking about Reggie Miller - I’m almost certain

Dont know if mentioned but, college basketball was fantastic during that time as well.

Even UNO and Tulane fielded legit tournament teams. Who can forget "the Posse" at Tulane or Earvin Johnson at UNO.

And Dale Brown who couldn't get past the 2nd round with Shaq, Mahmoud, and Stanley Roberts. Good grief man.

Dont know if mentioned but, college basketball was fantastic during that time as well.

Even UNO and Tulane fielded legit tournament teams. Who can forget "the Posse" at Tulane or Earvin Johnson at UNO.

And Dale Brown who couldn't get past the 2nd round with Shaq, Mahmoud, and Stanley Roberts. Good grief man.

It was, it will never be the same. Back then, even the best players stayed in school as juniors. That all changed when the NBA implemented the one and done and 19 year age limit. I'm not against that change, at all, but college basketball isn't the same because of it. Does anyone remember Big Monday? I loved watching those Big East teams back then, so many great players....

UNO had some good teams when I was there, with Mark Petteway, Ronnie Grandison, and Ledell Eackles....I used to have classes and study with the PG (Gabe Corchiani - nice guy), he told me one time that his brother Chris was going to play in the NBA one day....he was right about that....

That LSU team had a ton of talent but poor chemistry. Chris Jackson regressed as a sophomore, and he wasn't the pass first PG or floor leader that team desperately needed. Look at the team that Dale Brown took to the final 4 in 1986, they had nowhere near the talent of that 1990 team, but they had a solid veteran PG in Derrick Taylor, one NBA level talent in Jon (baby Magic) Williams and a couple of shooters (Reddon, Wilson) who got hot at the end of the year, and all of them could defend. Chemistry is important.

I like to give Dale Brown sheet for not winning with that team as much as the next guy but lets give Georgia Tech a little credit. They had three guys averaging 20+ points a game (five guys from this team eventually made it to the NBA) and went all the way to the Final Four and gave UNLV a much better game than Duke did in the national championship game.

Last edited:
I like to give Dale Brown sheet for not winning with that team as much as the next guy but lets give Georgia Tech a little credit. They had three guys averaging 20+ points a game (five guys from this team eventually made it to the NBA) and went all the way to the Final Four and gave UNLV a much better game than Duke did in the national championship game.

Actually that was not my quote, I was responding to it....Georgia Tech was definitely the better team, Kenny Anderson at PG, Dennis Scott, Bryan Oliver....

Actually that was not my quote, I was responding to it....Georgia Tech was definitely the better team, Kenny Anderson at PG, Dennis Scott, Bryan Oliver....

My bad. I was responding to yours and then realized it was the other post that mentioned the second year specifically and didn't fix the user name.

Although Vernel Singleton's post LSU career might have them all beat... :oops:

My bad. I was responding to yours and then realized it was the other post that mentioned the second year specifically and didn't fix the user name.

Oh, no problem, I remember Singleton, high effort player...loved him....what happened to him post LSU career? I always thought he played overseas or something?

Oh, no problem, I remember Singleton, high effort player...loved him....what happened to him post LSU career? I always thought he played overseas or something?

He was one of my favorites as well. He did play over seas for about 8 seasons or so and then he went into another entirely different field of work apparently.

Just google Vernel Singleton/Asante Stone but do NOT do that on a work computer.

He was one of my favorites as well. He did play over seas for about 8 seasons or so and then he went into another entirely different field of work apparently.

Just google Vernel Singleton/Asante Stone but do NOT do that on a work computer.

Oh my!!!!! had no idea....

I beg to differ. They shouldn't have been in position to have to play Georgia Tech that early. That team should have been a sure fire top 3 seed.

And having a pass first guard was not the problem when they played Georgia Tech. Both teams scored 100+ that game so offense wasn't the issue. It was lack of effort on defense and on the boards. Thats a Dale Brown problem.

All that aside, ESPN was lit all week in those days. Big Monday where rugged Big East teams could barely score 60 points. I also remember when Georgetown used to recruit the hell out of New Orleans talent. Tuesday was glam night with the ACC/SEC double header. Wednesday was Big 10 night, and Thursday was out west where you had to stay up late to see UNLV or Arizona.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom